I thought the clock on the 1 hour editing grace period applied from the time one posted. However, in a recent relatively longish post where I meandered to other things mid-construction (I have other interests lawstudents!) I was unable to edit the moment after I hit publish. I noted a few errors immediately, per usual, and wanted to correct them but to no avail. Time had expired!

Anyways, just a heads up to look at the editing delay. Perhaps it is set to begin the moment someone composes a post, which normally would not be materially different from the time after one posts. But in some cases it could make such a difference.

• Confused 1

This is why I type all of my comments in MS Word, send it to my editor, then revise again myself before posting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

As far as I know, the clock should run from the time of posting, not the time you start composing the message. Perhaps @Morgan has some insight?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AllanRC said:

I thought the clock on the 1 hour editing grace period applied from the time one posted. However, in a recent relatively longish post where I meandered to other things mid-construction (I have other interests lawstudents!) I was unable to edit the moment after I hit publish. I noted a few errors immediately, per usual, and wanted to correct them but to no avail. Time had expired!

Anyways, just a heads up to look at the editing delay. Perhaps it is set to begin the moment someone composes a post, which normally would not be materially different from the time after one posts. But in some cases it could make such a difference.

Apologies that happened! I’ve tried to reproduce and can’t - the way the edit code actually works is also based on the post time stamp (and not any sort of time tied to when the draft is started). You may have found a bug! Let me know if it happens again and which subforum you are posting a comment in. Was it a new topic or a reply?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AllanRC said:

Also if you haven’t gotten this offer already. If you send me a link to your post with the revised text, I’ll edit it for you (assuming no substantive changes). We will slip rule this one. 😂 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, almostnot said:

Also if you haven’t gotten this offer already. If you send me a link to your post with the revised text, I’ll edit it for you (assuming no substantive changes). We will slip rule this one. 😂 

Lets be honest. My reputation is already pretty sullied, so a few more grammatical eorrors, and repetitive words, won't do it any harm! 

But do appreciate the offer 

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Apologies that happened! I’ve tried to reproduce and can’t - the way the edit code actually works is also based on the post time stamp (and not any sort of time tied to when the draft is started). You may have found a bug! Let me know if it happens again and which subforum you are posting a comment in. Was it a new topic or a reply?

Happened in a reply  under the Articling Students and Lawyers sub-forum. It was interesting because the EDIT button exited, was clickable, and took me inside the post to edit (EDIT button usually seems to disappear if a post is beyond time). However, after changes were made and I clicked save, it informed me time had expired (EDIT - To clarify the editing process was relatively quick so that was not what bounced it out of time). 

BTW intended or not I am taking your comment to mean I have carte blanch in post length (for testing purposes...) so now when I get carried away & people call it out, I can point them to here and say "Morgan said I could do it!"

Edited by AllanRC
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2021 at 3:11 PM, AllanRC said:

Happened in a reply  under the Articling Students and Lawyers sub-forum. It was interesting because the EDIT button exited, was clickable, and took me inside the post to edit (EDIT button usually seems to disappear if a post is beyond time). However, after changes were made and I clicked save, it informed me time had expired (EDIT - To clarify the editing process was relatively quick so that was not what bounced it out of time). 

Actually, this might be a bug. I had a similar experience while editing my most recent post (also a reply). The edit button was there and clickable, but after I had made some changes, the 'save' button didn't seem to be working. This happened twice, I think. In each case I dealt with it by exiting the editor and then trying again, only to find It working fine on the second attempt. However, I didn't get (or didn't see) the 'time expired' stamp, and I was able to perform the edit on the second attempt each time. So maybe this wasn't the same problem — but it does sound similar. 

Edited by GreyDude

Just as a heads-up, this issue (or a similar one) appears to still be ongoing (unless my editing privileges were restricted, which is possible).

About 5 minutes after writing this post I attempted to edit it to add a CanLII link to the ABCA decision and I would receive the following message (attempted a few times and it happened every time):

"This comment can no longer be edited. It may have been moved or deleted, or too much time may have passed since it was posted for it to be edited."