DeepBluee

Cold Emailing / Call during pandemic?

Best way to Cold-Email during this pandemic?  I am in the process of looking for articles and am a bit stuck on the most effective way to go about cold-emailing.  

Should I first send in my application, or approach a lawyer at the firm and try to learn more about the firm before I send my application documents?  Also should I try and call the firm first before I send in my application documents?  A bit of guidance from anyone who has had success in their job hunt with cold emailing / calling would be so appreciated!!!

I got my articling position through cold emailing. I never called anyone, it was strictly email-only. I was in a management position in my pre-legal career and I never appreciated or had time for cold callers, and I applied my own experience forward. I am not saying this is as a general proposition, but this is what I did and it worked for me.

I never attempted to meet any lawyers before "to learn more about the firm". Honestly, I think that concept is a little redundant in today's world when you can mine more information form your desk than over lunch with a lawyer. What I would do is thoroughly review the website and other resources (e.g., have key lawyers been speaking or publishing on certain subjects?, look up decisions that key lawyers have argued, look up glassdoor). Then, I would try to customize my resume and my cover email to make sure I draw a direct connection between what I can offer and what that firm does. 

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DeepBluee said:

Best way to Cold-Email during this pandemic?  I am in the process of looking for articles and am a bit stuck on the most effective way to go about cold-emailing.  

Should I first send in my application, or approach a lawyer at the firm and try to learn more about the firm before I send my application documents?  Also should I try and call the firm first before I send in my application documents?  A bit of guidance from anyone who has had success in their job hunt with cold emailing / calling would be so appreciated!!!

Are you applying for OCIs? Or non-OCI positions? 

Edited by Starling

I got my articling position through cold applying. Some more info about it here:

My strategy was the same as @BeetleGirl. I researched each firm thoroughly, tailored my cover letter, and emailed my application package to whoever I though was most likely to have authority to make hiring decisions (managing partner, hiring committee, HR director, etc.).

I never networked with the firm I ended up at. I cold emailed one of the name partners, was invited to interview 3 days later.

Edited by canuckfanatic

Cold emailed my current firm during law school and joined the firm post articling. The payoff often won't be immediate but the connections you make will be important later on in your career.

Edited by Amorfati1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Starling said:

Are you applying for OCIs? Or non-OCI positions? 

non-OCI positions!

1 hour ago, BeetleGirl said:

I got my articling position through cold emailing. I never called anyone, it was strictly email-only. I was in a management position in my pre-legal career and I never appreciated or had time for cold callers, and I applied my own experience forward. I am not saying this is as a general proposition, but this is what I did and it worked for me.

I never attempted to meet any lawyers before "to learn more about the firm". Honestly, I think that concept is a little redundant in today's world when you can mine more information form your desk than over lunch with a lawyer. What I would do is thoroughly review the website and other resources (e.g., have key lawyers been speaking or publishing on certain subjects?, look up decisions that key lawyers have argued, look up glassdoor). Then, I would try to customize my resume and my cover email to make sure I draw a direct connection between what I can offer and what that firm does. 

Good luck.

Thank you for this!  Yeah - from what I am gathering there seems to be more of a preference to cold-emailing these days vs cold-calls.  But then again, I guess it depends on the particular lawyer you are reaching.  Thank you for the advice~

1 hour ago, canuckfanatic said:

I got my articling position through cold applying. Some more info about it here:

My strategy was the same as @BeetleGirl. I researched each firm thoroughly, tailored my cover letter, and emailed my application package to whoever I though was most likely to have authority to make hiring decisions (managing partner, hiring committee, HR director, etc.).

I never networked with the firm I ended up at. I cold emailed one of the name partners, was invited to interview 3 days later.

Thank you!  

Yeah that makes sense, question.  Also...when you would send through emails to whomever you were trying to reach, how would you approach writing that email.  A lot of resources say keep it short and simple, but is there a better strategy for cold- cover emails? What would you recommend me adding in or mentioning there?   

5 minutes ago, DeepBluee said:

Thank you!  

Yeah that makes sense, question.  Also...when you would send through emails to whomever you were trying to reach, how would you approach writing that email.  A lot of resources say keep it short and simple, but is there a better strategy for cold- cover emails? What would you recommend me adding in or mentioning there?   

I'll PM you about the emails I wrote