GoblinKing

Overeager Acceptee Requesting Syllabuses

Hi folks, 

I've been accepted to and am seriously considering attending UO. I just want to get a feel for what 1L courses were like and figured getting a hold of some syllabuses might be helpful. So, if anyone has some they wouldn't mind sharing, I'd really appreciate it. 

6 hours ago, GoblinKing said:

Hi folks, 

I've been accepted to and am seriously considering attending UO. I just want to get a feel for what 1L courses were like and figured getting a hold of some syllabuses might be helpful. So, if anyone has some they wouldn't mind sharing, I'd really appreciate it. 

https://jeremydebeer.ca/

The above link is Professor de Beer's homepage. He teaches Property Law and he is a great professor. You can find his syllabus here.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 10:29 AM, GoblinKing said:

Hi folks, 

Congratulations! University of Ottawa is a fantastic school. It's hard getting a hold of any syllabus before classes start and I am not how much it will help your decision on whether or not to go to uOttawa. When I was in your position, I looked up profs on ratemyprof and I had a good idea of what to expect. You could also email profs if you're really interested.

• Like 1

Please spare yourself from the administrative nightmare LOL enjoy your freedom while it lasts 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2021 at 11:06 AM, SadNWO said:

Not a student, but I think you can use this method. 

Use this link (https://commonlaw.uottawa.ca/en/students/student-centre/course_search_engine)

Search by level and put 1L or first year or whatever and you should be able to click the syllabi of various courses.

Current UO student here and this is good advice. The course descriptions practically tell you all that you need to know about the class. But, while virtually all your 1L courses are pre-determined, you won't know which professors will be teaching you (and therefore, which class and course breakdown you will have) until enrolment date, which comes after accepting your offer. 

All that being said, it really doesn't matter how 1L courses are at X school over Z because you will be learning the same exact black letter law in 1L. Upper year courses are a different discussion since different schools offer different courses but for 1L purposes, you will get practically the same education from UBC to Ottawa to Moncton.

Your decision should depend more on interest, field of law, city, and just overall vibes of each school.

Honestly I think you may be better off just asking specific questions. From what I heard the 1L classes are pretty much the same across most schools in Canada so I'm not sure how much the syllabus will tell you. Prior to starting 1L I actually went on ratemyteacher.com to get a sense of students thought of my future profs and all this did was stress me out for nothing lol. 

IMHO you'll great education no matter which law school you attend and I would base my decision other factors (where do you want to practice? did one school offer you financial aid/scholarship money?...etc). 

Edited by LawSchoolJock