SeasHell

UBC vs UofT (for the thousandth time)

15 hours ago, OyVey said:

While not in law, I got tired of working in an environment where bright eyed bushy tailed early 20 something year olds went and got a masters straight out of their Bachelors and ended up in jobs that have significant impact on colleague's work and the stakeholder's lives. They had no real life experience and when their decisions were implemented, always had huge gaps. I really value learning both knowledge but from other people. I learn how people think, what motivates them, etc. 

If that bothers you, I hope you're not applying to law school...

• Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 11:22 AM, SeasHell said:

I really like the idea of going to UofT and surrounding myself with the "best and brightest".

I can 100% tell you right now that simply because U of T demands the highest grades and scores, it doesn't guarantee that you'll be surrounded by the best and brightest. So I really advise you not to be persuaded by a consideration like that. Instead focus on career outcomes, costs, student satisfaction and future prospects. 

Edited by Ichigo

13 hours ago, conge said:

If that bothers you, I hope you're not applying to law school...

This is not why I am applying to law school, but this is why I appreciate diversity in law schools. I wouldn't have been frustrated in that job if those individuals had been exposed to the implications of their decisions or had formed alternative ways of thinking things. I do want to retain some sort of pseudo-anonymity so I do not want to disclose the context, but it is one that has a profound impact on people's lives and I am confident that some of you will practice law in this area. 

The Federal government brought in training called GBA+. You can take a short course for free and I think that every student everywhere needs to take it - before they enter the working world: https://cfc-swc.gc.ca/gba-acs/course-cours-en.html  It is quite good and encourages people to think about things that they otherwise didn't think of. I learned a lot, and am hopeful that organizations everywhere implement it.

Your comment wants me to share the story of a more experience with an LSLAP (UBC) student, but I will save that entertainment for another day when enough time has passed and students won't be able to identify this person.  

Many people hold lawyers in very high regard. They take their lawyers word for it. They assume that their lawyer is acting in their best interests. They assume that their lawyer is giving them the best advice that exists. Especially when young, I think that lawyers only stand to benefit from exposure to different people, experiences, workplace environments, etc. Whether you end up working in family law or on mergers. I think it adds to your toolbox of extra things to consider when drafting up something, what body language might mean, what issues might come up, etc. I want to be around the uber-privileged and the not-so-privileged. I want to be around the young and old. The straight A students that scored in high 170s, and the one that got in by a hair. I have something to learn from all of them. I seek diversity, not homogeneity. 

@OyVey What conge was getting at is that a sizeable portion of law students a K-JD or have limited "real world" experience. "not so privileged" is also generally still middle-middle class. They were tongue-in-cheek trying to reign in your expectations as you will still be largely surrounded by 20somethings.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2021 at 12:48 PM, artsydork said:

@OyVey What conge was getting at is that a sizeable portion of law students a K-JD or have limited "real world" experience. "not so privileged" is also generally still middle-middle class. They were tongue-in-cheek trying to reign in your expectations as you will still be largely surrounded by 20somethings.

I definitely don't pick up on tone and sarcasm (no sarcasm in my response)

I've seen a number of threads of this nature and it seems that there is a persistent assumption that UofT students are hyper focused on academia and virtual pariahs in all other aspects. 

This is a view I don't quite understand. Just because UofT demands the highest scores doesn't mean those who are accepted lack depth in any other area. Speaking only from personal experience I've found those who excel in academics do tend to engage in a variety of non-school activities. 

While I understand that users are trying to convey that other schools have equally stellar classes of students I feel that this point can be made without the bizzare generalization of UofT students. Because, speaking for myself at least, such views tend to reek of sour grapes (even if that's not truly the case) and fail to be persuading. 

Edited by SadNWO
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, SadNWO said:

I've seen a number of threads of this nature and it seems that there is a persistent assumption that UofT students are hyper focused on academia and virtual pariahs in all other aspects. 

Thus is a view I don't quite understand. Just because UofT demands the highest scores doesn't mean those who are accepted lack depth in any other area. Speaking only from personal experience I've found those who excel in academics do tend to engage in a variety of non-school activities. 

While I understand that users are trying to convey that other schools have equally stellar classes of students I feel that this point can be made without the buzzards generalization of UofT students. Because, speaking for myself at least, such views tend to reek of sour grapes (even if that's not truly the case) and fail to be persuading. 

The commentary from the first group of accepted Ryerson students was the absolute worst in this regard, before they all stopped posting here. lol

On 1/16/2021 at 1:35 AM, SadNWO said:

This is a view I don't quite understand. Just because UofT demands the highest scores doesn't mean those who are accepted lack depth in any other area. Speaking only from personal experience I've found those who excel in academics do tend to engage in a variety of non-school activities. 

While I understand that users are trying to convey that other schools have equally stellar classes of students I feel that this point can be made without the bizzare generalization of UofT students. Because, speaking for myself at least, such views tend to reek of sour grapes (even if that's not truly the case) and fail to be persuading. 

This needed to be said. Every law school has students with interesting and diverse life experiences, UofT being no exception. Of course, there may be a student or two who rubs people the wrong way and lacks social skills, but I refuse to believe that those students don't exist equally at schools such as Ryerson and Windsor (for example)

The idea that stats and social skills have an inverse relationship is absolute nonsense but is oft repeated on this forum. I found my classmates at UofT to be some of the kindest, most helpful people I've ever encountered. I'm sure the same is true of many students at each law school across Canada.

• Like 5