Posted (edited)

Hello!

I am considering applying to UBC in September 2021 for conditional acceptance pending my third year marks.  At the time of application I will l have completed two years towards a bachelors degree.  My current average is ~94% but given how my school prepares transcripts I believe this will yield a maximum 90% GPA as per UBC.  

This may be a question with an obvious answer...but will UBC look at ALL of my past grades?  I was enrolled in a different school over 10 years ago for a few semesters and didn't do well at all.  I'm wondering if these grades will be taken into consideration if I am not using the credits yielded from these courses towards the degree I am working on.  Just to clarify, I am currently working towards my first degree.

Any insight would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Edited by cjs
removed something obvious

The best bet would be to email admissions and ask them. Based on the absolute language they tend to use, the safe assumption would be that they will include the older grades in the calculation. If they tell you that they will include those grades, don't be discouraged, this seems like a solid reason to apply in the discretionary category. You could easily mention why you decided to go back to school and what led to your improved grades. Good Luck. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shingles said:

The best bet would be to email admissions and ask them. Based on the absolute language they tend to use, the safe assumption would be that they will include the older grades in the calculation. If they tell you that they will include those grades, don't be discouraged, this seems like a solid reason to apply in the discretionary category. You could easily mention why you decided to go back to school and what led to your improved grades. Good Luck. 

Thanks so much for your insight!  I've emailed them so will wait and see what they say.

On 1/8/2021 at 5:19 PM, cjs said:

Hello!

I am considering applying to UBC in September 2021 for conditional acceptance pending my third year marks.  At the time of application I will l have completed two years towards a bachelors degree.  My current average is ~94% but given how my school prepares transcripts I believe this will yield a maximum 90% GPA as per UBC.  

This may be a question with an obvious answer...but will UBC look at ALL of my past grades?  I was enrolled in a different school over 10 years ago for a few semesters and didn't do well at all.  I'm wondering if these grades will be taken into consideration if I am not using the credits yielded from these courses towards the degree I am working on.  Just to clarify, I am currently working towards my first degree.

Any insight would be appreciated.  Thank you!

I did a diploma program ten years ago, and admissions did require that I send them my transcripts from that program. They told me they “most likely” wouldn’t use those grades in their decision, but they still required the transcripts. 

Edited by Heliumgal
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Heliumgal said:

I did a diploma program ten years ago, and admissions did require that I send them my transcripts from that program. They told me they “most likely” wouldn’t use those grades in their decision, but they still required the transcripts. 

That makes sense.  I've sent them an email and hopefully they will say something similar for me :) Thank you!

• Like 1