arashparam

Reflections on luck in my career and some advice to share with you all

On 1/8/2021 at 5:31 PM, arashparam said:

Let me emphasize this: skill, effort, intellect, and other positive personality traits matter. But the key is to understand that they are necessary, not sufficient. They do not guarantee success, only increase the probability of success.

Reads like a bad instagram ad. 

I can't believe the amount of cynicism and lack of charity here. OP is coming in good faith to reassure stressed out OCI students that striking out is often dependent on other factors beyond their control. While the luck involved is obvious, students often neglect it and take rejection very personally. Granted, if others are right and he's a JD/MBA Gold Medalist, it's a bit funny -- however, I find it refreshing that even the top performers acknowledge the amount of luck there is in the process. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, choijonesjr said:

I can't believe the amount of cynicism and lack of charity here. OP is coming in good faith to reassure stressed out OCI students that striking out is often dependent on other factors beyond their control. While the luck involved is obvious, students often neglect it and take rejection very personally. Granted, if others are right and he's a JD/MBA Gold Medalist, it's a bit funny -- however, I find it refreshing that even the top performers acknowledge the amount of luck there is in the process. 

The element of luck has always been discussed here but the mistake some make is that they think it is the primary factor, which it isn't. This isn't the last time you will experience an element of luck in this profession. From what profs you have in law school, to what work is shared with you as a summer student, to what lawyers you get to work with as an articling student, to the lawyers you connect with at conferences and professional associations,  to the deals, hearings, arbitrations, trials you work on as a lawyer. Certainly, a varied amount of luck, but it will always be present to a degree, as it is in most areas of life. 

Every year, we attempt to calm the nerves of students going through organized recruitment. We try to get them to understand that most students will not get a job in this way, and many who do, end up being unsatisfied and unhappy.  We encourage them to look at areas of the law that are not necessarily the 'big, shiny' jobs that law schools focus on, far too much, in my opinion. We urge them to remember that what might be a huge disappointment now, may eventually, in the long run, turn out to be a blessing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, choijonesjr said:

I don't believe for half a second that they came in good faith. This looks like some attempt at advertising or personal brand building, but the OP pivoted away from it after seeing the initial reaction. 

Call that cynical if you want but I would call anyone who reads OP's post any other way naive. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

I don't believe for half a second that they came in good faith. This looks like some attempt at advertising or personal brand building, but the OP pivoted away from it after seeing the initial reaction. 

Call that cynical if you want but I would call anyone who reads OP's post any other way naive. 

He has a blog where he describes himself as a "thinker, writer and investor" and said blog as "mostly [...] about personal growth, investing, decision-making, entrepreneurship and philosophy."

So, yeah...

So much tension and unnecessary cynicism. 

Was OP's post a bit bizarre? Yes. Should we put a negative spin to it and roast the guy for simply offering some advice? I don't think so

20 minutes ago, TrevorPhilips said:

Was OP's post a bit bizarre? Yes. Should we put a negative spin to it and roast the guy for simply offering some advice? 

This is the internet. It's just what's done.