lawstudentincanada

How is everyone handling the waiting game?

This may sound so bizarre and stupid to feel this way. But I am actually asking because I feel worried and uneasy while constantly refreshing my email inbox and websites. Is anyone else stressed out? Because when I spoke to people who also applied this year they seem to be very relaxed (honestly good for them I wish I could do that) and I am on the complete opposite spectrum. 

Does anyone have any tips or how ur handling this?  or how u had handled this waiting game situation before. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

5 simple steps to reduce application anxiety:

1. Don't log in to lawstudents.ca until you've received a decision from every school you've applied to;
  2. Focus your energy only on the things in your life you have control over (work, school, hobbies, etc.);
  3. Don't log in to lawstudents.ca until you've received a decision from every school you've applied to;
  4. Focus your energy only on the things in your life you have control over (work, school, hobbies, etc.);
  5. Don't log in to lawstudents.ca until you've received a decision from every school you've applied to.
Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 7
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

It's common to feel anxious and impatient. Truth of the matter is some students don't hear back until as late as the summer. Not saying that'll be the case for you but I think it helps to understand that it may be a while, and it's simply not healthy to let this occupy your mind 24/7 until then.

With that in mind, you'll get your answers eventually. I'd recommend having a system/schedule that works for you. For instance, maybe allow yourself to check once when you wake up and once before bed. Or maybe only check if someone has newly posted in the "Accepted 2021" group of a school that you've applied to (which, you can check for once in morn and once at night, or whatever). The schedule itself doesn't much matter, but the point is to allow yourself to give into the temptation to check, but only a reasonable amount. Also don't check at times that don't make sense for you. For instance, mid-lecture probably isn't a good time to learn whether a school has rejected or accepted you. 

Finally I'll say this: the more emphasis and energy you put on this, the harder it'll be if you don't get accepted. You are aware that with your LSAT it's a long shot and not being accepted this round will be all the more devastating if it's all you've been thinking about. Instead try to focus on bettering yourself or your situation. Focus on your school work, hobbies that you're passionate about, etc. You are much more than your status as an applicant, so don't let that consume you. But I know it's easier said than done. 

Edited by LawBlaw2019
Edited for the same reason as all my posts: noticed an error.
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, lawstudentincanada said:

This may sound so bizarre and stupid to feel this way. But I am actually asking because I feel worried and uneasy while constantly refreshing my email inbox and websites. Is anyone else stressed out? Because when I spoke to people who also applied this year they seem to be very relaxed (honestly good for them I wish I could do that) and I am on the complete opposite spectrum. 

Does anyone have any tips or how ur handling this?  or how u had handled this waiting game situation before. 

I've been on this forum for several years and your situation is not at all unusual. I suspect those who are calm about it are: (1) have stellar stats; (2) don't actually care about getting into law school; (3) are lying or; (4) are abnormally zen. I agree with Canuck's advice, though it can be hard to resist the urge to check. One of the few (if any) things that worked for me was finding a really, really good distraction that was enough of a distraction to keep me from addictively checking this site.

• Like 1

I've been pretty anxious as well, despite my best efforts not to be, and I've found that bingeing every show I can get my hands on has been working pretty well for me this holiday season 😂 my courses for this semester have also just become active on my student portal, so I'll probably throw myself into getting readings done before school starts. I say, as @canuckfanatic has said, just focus your energy on things that can be helped, like school work. Try and get ahead some way or somehow and eventually applications won't be at the top of your mind. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

With all due respect, it is likely you will be waiting for a long time given your stats. You made a post a few days ago regarding asking about your application chances with a 151 LSAT and "amazing EC's" correct? This thread is not the place to debate the relative merits of your EC's of course, but assuming your stat profile is accurate and the claims you made about your EC's are true, you still should expect to wait until at least March before receiving an offer or being put on a waitlist (if you are sent an offer or put on a waitlist all). Realistically, your application chances depend wholly on the whims of the admissions committees of the schools you have applied, as your application relies on EC's to compensate for mediocre stats. It is thus in your best interest to make peace with the waiting game, as typically, at most schools, offers are sent first to students which have statistically demonstrated their ability to weather the rigors of law school. I mean this as nice as possible, but your stats on their own will not do that work for you. 

I know it seems like a joke, but @canuckfanatic is completely right. Log off from this website and don't log back on until the application process directly becomes part of your life again (if you receive a rejection, are waitlisted, accepted etc). Otherwise, all you will be doing is developing greater fears of missing out as acceptance waves and rejections continually role in.

Edited by LabouriousCorvid
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LabouriousCorvid said:

With all due respect, it is likely you will be waiting for a long time given your stats. You made a post a few days ago regarding asking about your application chances with a 151 LSAT and "amazing EC's" correct? This thread is not the place to debate the relative merits of your EC's of course, but assuming your stat profile is accurate and what claim about your EC's true, you still should expect to wait until at least March before receiving an offer or being put on the waitlist (if you are sent one or put on at all). Realistically, your application chances depend wholly on the whims of the admissions committee, as your application relies on EC's to compensate for mediocre stats. It is thus in your best interest to make peace with the waiting game, as typically, at most schools, offers are sent first to students which have statistically demonstrated their ability to persist the rigors of law school. I mean this as nice as possible, but your stats on their own will not do that work for you. 

I know it seems like a joke, but @canuckfanatic is completely right. Log off from this website and don't log back on until the application process directly becomes part of your life again (if you receive a rejection, are waitlisted, accepted etc). Otherwise, all you will be doing is developing greater fears of missing out as acceptance waves and rejections continually role in.

As advised by you and many I think its best if I log of and so I won't be returning back to this site for quite some time :) thank you everyone for the support, wishes and advice. I appreciate it! Happy New Year and hopefully I come back with good news. And to everyone who is applying:  best wishes to you all! We are all in this together and I hope that we end up on the other side of being accepted! Thanks again everyone! 

• Like 2

How many forums exist where telling someone "you should log off and not come back for a while" is met with "you're right, thank you!"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Honestly, I might be the odd one out here but for some reason, I'm not that worried. Sure I would check my application status like once a week just in case but other than that, I'm totally relaxed.

It's not because I don't care about going to law school or I have stellar stats but I've learnt to not stress over things out of my control. I have done all I could to improve my chances and anything other than that is beyond my capacity. It is what it is at this point. 

Law school is a big deal but there's also more to life and I'm trying to enjoy other things that bring me happiness :) 

• Like 5

One thing to keep in mind is that a lack of acceptance for 2021 does not end anyone's chances for law school for life.

There is always next year.

Also, the bulk of borderline applications will be accepted in February to (I believe) April, so there is no need to worry about getting accepted in January.

• Like 2

Coming from someone who spent December 2019-May 2020 constantly refreshing admissions pages and waiting for acceptances to come in...

Don’t. And I repeat. DON’T become consumed with the admissions cycle. 
When your acceptances or rejections come, they come. You submitted your app. There’s nothing you can do now. Refreshing lawstudents.ca for 6 months straight and watching acceptances roll in is not good for your mental health, nor is it an effective use of your time. 

Take up a hobby. Volunteer. Clean your bathroom. But whatever you do, don’t stare at your phone/computer all day. When/if you get into law school, you’ll have plenty of time to stress then. Enjoy your potentially last few months of freedom doing something else other than being fixated on law school related. 

I spent countless hours last year refreshing my admission status and lawstudents.ca. It was the stupidest thing I’ve ever done in my life. All it did was make me a nervous wreck and I ended up going to the school I was accepted to in Demember anyways. 

• Like 3

The thing that stresses me out is seeing people with literally the same, if not lower stats as mine get into my top choice and I'm just sitting here waiting for my turn to come around and I start questioning myself. It's painful and I wish I could say it wasn't...

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Snickerdoodle said:

The thing that stresses me out is seeing people with literally the same, if not lower stats as mine get into my top choice and I'm just sitting here waiting for my turn to come around and I start questioning myself. It's painful and I wish I could say it wasn't...

If this ain’t it!! This is exactly how I feel. I don’t know whether it’s that the order of acceptances is completely arbitrary or that  I’ve just been passed over/haven’t been evaluated yet/rejected already, and I hate not knowing. I wish we would all find out on like, one or two preset days, instead of this slow burn of seeing people get in and you haven’t heard a thing yet. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Snickerdoodle said:

2 minutes ago, navyblue11 said:

If this ain’t it!! This is exactly how I feel. I don’t know whether it’s that the order of acceptances is completely arbitrary or that  I’ve just been passed over/haven’t been evaluated yet/rejected already, and I hate not knowing. I wish we would all find out on like, one or two preset days, instead of this slow burn of seeing people get in and you haven’t heard a thing yet. 

This is precisely why you should get off LS.ca and not come back until you've heard from the schools you applied to.

You're just giving yourself anxiety and hurting your own mental health by constantly checking and comparing yourself to other people.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

This is precisely why you should get off LS.ca and not come back until you've heard from the schools you applied to.

You're just giving yourself anxiety and hurting your own mental health by constantly checking and comparing yourself to other people.

I was actually thinking the same thing today, I’m probably gonna go cold turkey and log off tonight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navyblue11 said:

I was actually thinking the same thing today, I’m probably gonna go cold turkey and log off tonight. 

Literally same... I think that's the best thing for us to do now as @canuckfanatic said. There's no point in stressing ourselves out over something we have no control over.