Hey guys, 

I applied for a combined JD/MA program and was wondering if there are any current students who can comment on their application/acceptance experience. Did you receive admission to the joint program before you received admission to the master's program? Were you only accepted into the JD track until your master's acceptance? Or did the MA acceptance come first? U of T's site says they tend to notify students of master's acceptances in late March/early April but I'm wondering if it's different for students applying to the joint program considering the deadline to accept/decline a law school offer. Thanks!!

Posted (edited)

Following because I’m in the same boat! (Edit: I don’t even know if this is how following works on this forum but oh well)

Edited by TrisanaC

1 hour ago, TrisanaC said:

Following because I’m in the same boat! (Edit: I don’t even know if this is how following works on this forum but oh well)

Anything you've posted to will be something you can check on under "manage followed content" as an option under your name, but you won't otherwise get notifications unless someone quotes you as I'm doing. There are more options under the "follow" button that's hiding a bit above the first post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the law school and the grad department you applied to operate independently of each other, often with different timelines and deadlines. they do not coordinate with each other until you have been accepted to both programs and want to enrol in the combined program. 

• Like 3

Hey, I'm in the JD/MBA program. I applied in January of my first year in law school, so the experience was a bit different for me. From what I was told by the upper years (and strongly implied by the administration of both schools), students accepted into the JD program are almost guaranteed acceptance into the MBA program. I'm not sure if you can get accepted into the MBA first, since getting accepted without the GMAT is contingent on your acceptance into the JD program. Feel free to message me if you have any questions! 

11 hours ago, LegalSquirrel said:

Hey, I'm in the JD/MBA program. I applied in January of my first year in law school, so the experience was a bit different for me. From what I was told by the upper years (and strongly implied by the administration of both schools), students accepted into the JD program are almost guaranteed acceptance into the MBA program. I'm not sure if you can get accepted into the MBA first, since getting accepted without the GMAT is contingent on your acceptance into the JD program. Feel free to message me if you have any questions! 

It appears that OP is applying to a JD/MA, not the JD/MBA. If that is true, there should be no presumption that there is a "guaranteed acceptance" into the joint program. For example, I'm in a joint program here at UofT, and admissions into the non-JD part were much more stringent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 8:31 AM, HappyJDStudent said:

It appears that OP is applying to a JD/MA, not the JD/MBA. If that is true, there should be no presumption that there is a "guaranteed acceptance" into the joint program. For example, I'm in a joint program here at UofT, and admissions into the non-JD part were much more stringent.

Ah, I misread. But as you understood, I was not talking about the JD/MA, so I did not make a presumption that there is a "guaranteed acceptance" into that program. 🙂

Posted (edited)

Hey! I'm a previous joint JD/MA student and am happy to answer questions about applying to these programs. For the most part, I'm seconding what @HappyJDStudent has already said but adding some context. Please feel free to ask any further questions here.

The JD/MA programs are run a little bit differently than the joint MBA program. Since there are so many less JD/MA students than JD/MBA students, the law administration does not have as much experience coordinating between the programs. This means that you have to take more initiative to sort out the administrative steps yourself, plus you'll have less less guidance (than JD/MBAs) from the administration when you're in the program. It’s not that bad, though. It just means that you have to be more on top of your requirements and not expect that the administration will tell you if you’re missing a required course/joint degree requirement.

In terms of admission, there is no “guarantee” that you will be accepted into the MA program (as I’ve heard there is informally with the MBA). However, if you’re able to get into the JD you will very likely get into the MA (assuming you meet the course requirements required for entry into your respective MA program). Once you’re accepted into both programs, you are unofficially in the joint program. All you have to do at this point is show each dept. your acceptance to the other program and you are added as a joint student. There is no further review for admission to the joint program that I am aware of.

You can apply for entrance into the MA program either before you start 1L or during your 1L year, but you have to meet the deadlines of each department/faculty in the year you apply (there are no extended deadlines for joint JD/MA students). For context, I applied during my 1L year and joined the joint program for the remaining years; I know somebody in the same program as me who was admitted into the joint program before even starting 1L, so it makes no difference. You don’t actually begin the MA program until years 2 and 3 (or 2,3,4 for a 4-year program). Basically, you just apply for each program individually and indicate on each application that you are applying for the joint program.

Edited by JDMAonetimeaccount
wording
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JDMAonetimeaccount said:

Hey! I'm a previous joint JD/MA student and am happy to answer questions about applying to these programs. For the most part, I'm seconding what @HappyJDStudent has already said but adding some context. Please feel free to ask any further questions here.

The JD/MA programs are run a little bit differently than the joint MBA program. Since there are so many less JD/MA students than JD/MBA students, the law administration does not have as much experience coordinating between the programs. This means that you have to take more initiative to sort out the administrative steps yourself, plus you'll have less less guidance (than JD/MBAs) from the administration when you're in the program. It’s not that bad, though. It just means that you have to be more on top of your requirements and not expect that the administration will tell you if you’re missing a required course/joint degree requirement.

In terms of admission, there is no “guarantee” that you will be accepted into the MA program (as I’ve heard there is informally with the MBA). However, if you’re able to get into the JD you will very likely get into the MA (assuming you meet the course requirements required for entry into your respective MA program). Once you’re accepted into both programs, you are unofficially in the joint program. All you have to do at this point is show each dept. your acceptance to the other program and you are added as a joint student. There is no further review for admission to the joint program that I am aware of.

You can apply for entrance into the MA program either before you start 1L or during your 1L year, but you have to meet the deadlines of each department/faculty in the year you apply (there are no extended deadlines for joint JD/MA students). For context, I applied during my 1L year and joined the joint program for the remaining years; I know somebody in the same program as me who was admitted into the joint program before even starting 1L, so it makes no difference. You don’t actually begin the MA program until years 2 and 3 (or 2,3,4 for a 4-year program). Basically, you just apply for each program individually and indicate on each application that you are applying for the joint program.

Fully agree. I would only qualify the "very likely" acceptance into the MA by adding that it really depends. Some of the MA programs (e.g., philosophy, economics) are as competitive or more competitive than the JD program