GoblinKing

Gratitude Post

I’m so glad that you managed to overcome this difficult time in your life! I admire your courage, acknowledgement of privilege and gratitude. I hope everything goes well for you going forward and I wish you all the best in law school and beyond! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

"We know that approximately 58% of lawyers in Canada have experienced significant stress and burnout, 48% have experienced anxiety, and 26% have experienced depression. We also know that lawyers perceive stress and/or burnout, anxiety, and depression as some of the biggest health issues facing our profession." (Source)

Mental health seems to be a serious concern in the profession. I suspect it's a combination of the fact that people who want to be lawyers are as a rule pretty neurotic and that the profession is inherently stressful. I think people with mental illness should be cautious before entering high stress careers. Just wanted to add this to balance out the rosier view I put out earlier. If you have a mental disorder and are looking to get into law, really seriously consider the effect of law school and lawyering on your mental health. I know that I'll have to monitor mine very closely during law school and (hopefully) practice. 

Edit: lifetime prevalence of anxiety is around 5%, lifetime prevalence of depression with chronic symptoms is 2.7%, and one in five people will experience a mental health issue in a given year (with a lifetime prevalence of around 50%). On balance then, it seems like there's evidence that lawyers are more prone to mental illness (especially anxiety) than the general population. Note that maybe I'm not comparing apples to apples here (lifetime prevalence vs. onset in a given year).

Edit 2: I think the study referenced in the first article is looking at prevalence in a year. 

Edited by GoblinKing
Adding clarity

It is very mature of you to have delayed law school for a year in order to proactively look after your mental health. I think the "easier" decision would have been to try to ignore everything else by using law school as a distraction , but I am glad you decided to be more proactive. Thanks for sharing and all the best with law school. 

• Like 1

Well done. Sound judgment will only be an asset as you move forward, and you clearly have it in spades. 

• Like 3

I have had similar issues and truly enjoy my career, I am in public service which has been good to me. You aren't limited to big firm high stress positions. It just takes time to find your niche. Good luck. 

• Like 4

Great post! I'm glad to hear that things worked out and you're in a better place now. I don't know where you intend to accept but I'm a current UBC student so feel free to reach out if you have any questions or are otherwise looking for a listening ear :)

• Like 2

I'd just like to say that I'm not the least bit surprised by the supportive posts on this thread. This forum, for all its faults and needless pedantry, is filled with good people just trying to help. Thank you all. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1