coffee3567

young call salaries

Entering into salary negotiation soon, comments on this would be helpful: 

1. What are the average 1st year call salaries for big, medium, small size firms in Vancouver?

2. What are the average 2nd year call salaries for big, medium, small size firms in Vancouver?

3. There is a rumour that big firms are paying articling salaries to 1st year calls because Covid created more job demand so they can get away with it.  True/False? 

3.  What is the average increase of salary between first and second year call? (percentage wise)

4. Any advice for salary negotiation for a young call. 

#3 sounds like crazy talk drummed up by anxious young lawyers.  I haven't seen it or heard of it, and I would suspect it would kill a firm's reputation if they were to engage in those kinds of antics.  Are there known firms, or is this just a vague rumour?

#1 and #2 have frequently been discussed on the forum and in those posts you will find links to tables that folks here have created/updated. Once you look at those tables, your #3 (the second #3 lol, as you have two) would also be answered.

You can look up a lot of firms on NALP. Most big firms pay $103k to $110k for first year associates. Articling is $65-70k for big firms.

#3 is absurd and not true. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Starling said:

You can look up a lot of firms on NALP. Most big firms pay $103k to $110k for first year associates. Articling is $65-70k for big firms.

#3 is absurd and not true. 

Hey sorry im still trying to learn the ropes but does NALP have salaries from mostly just "big law" or does it also show salaries from other fields of law? Also how representative are their salaries because I looked at a few firms at random and a lot of them list $110000 as the annual salary for first year associates (Toronto) which I don't think is the norm.

Thanks 

Edited by DABMAN
(Toronto)

6 hours ago, DABMAN said:

Hey sorry im still trying to learn the ropes but does NALP have salaries from mostly just "big law" or does it also show salaries from other fields of law? Also how representative are their salaries because I looked at a few firms at random and a lot of them list $110000 as the annual salary for first year associates (Toronto) which I don't think is the norm.

Thanks 

Looks like mostly Big Law, with some random small firms thrown in.

The Vancouver ones are accurate but I honestly don't know much about the Toronto market, so I can't really speak to that.

• Like 1

3 is absolutely true firms in Toronto have offered me between 20 and 40k because the market is bad due to covid and do it for the experience. 

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Hermione97 said:

3 is absolutely true firms in Toronto have offered me between 20 and 40k because the market is bad due to covid and do it for the experience. 

Toronto Big Firms are offering you $20-30k to join the firm as a first year associate...? Is it contract work?

Edited by Starling

37 minutes ago, Hermione97 said:

That’s bullshit. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff
By “that” I mean your absurd claim.
  • Haha 2

I will note that @Hermione97 just wrote "firms in Toronto" rather than specifying BigLaw. It is obviously untrue that any BigLaw firm would make the offer they describe, but it's plausible that "firms in Toronto" generally would.

Of course, the original context of the thread was about BigLaw so if that user isn't guilty of being full of shit, they are guilty of not reading closely here.

23 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I will note that @Hermione97 just wrote "firms in Toronto" rather than specifying BigLaw. It is obviously untrue that any BigLaw firm would make the offer they describe, but it's plausible that "firms in Toronto" generally would.

Of course, the original context of the thread was about BigLaw so if that user isn't guilty of being full of shit, they are guilty of not reading closely here.

Oh yeah, I definitely believe some firms would offer that but Toronto BigLaw offering $30k for first year associates would be insane. 

I can’t see a firm offering 20k - 30k for a variety of reasons but mainly based on how insulting that is to the applicant. What a way to start off a working relationship.

I mean at that point why wouldn’t they just offer a fee split. At 20k - 30k, they are literally telling you you’re worth less than an assistant (not meant to be a shot at assistants). 

Edited by neymarsr
Just some really bad grammar overall
  • Like 2