Jump to content
coffee3567

How do to use line to credit to pay off gov student loan?

Recommended Posts

I have heard of others do this to take advantage of the lower interest rate.  Line of credit with Scotiabank.  I would like to make a one time payment, any advice on how to do this efficiently? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by how to do this efficiently, as you just make the payment from your line of credit account. I would however suggest waiting until a few days before interest would otherwise start accruing on your government student loan before paying it down. i.e., if you're still in school for the winter 2021 term, don't pay down the student loan with LOC as the student loan will be interest free while in school whereas the LOC will start accruing interest once funds are drawn upon from it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, coffee3567 said:

I have heard of others do this to take advantage of the lower interest rate.  Line of credit with Scotiabank.  I would like to make a one time payment, any advice on how to do this efficiently? 

Have you set up "Govt student loan" as a payee on your bank?

All you have to do is to take money out from LOC and pay off the Govt loan directly or through your bank account.

Edited by Luckycharm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it is not too late, but I want to almost point out how misguided your decision to pay off your government student loan is with a line of credit is. 
 

I do not know which Province you are from, but I know that your government student loan will include a portion that is federal. You can call the student loan service centre or submit a call back request to find out how much is federal and how much is provincial. For 2021/22 fiscal year, federal student loan interest has been eliminated. If your student loan is from BC, the Provincial portion is also interest free. I cannot speak to other provinces. 

Why you would decide to pay interest on a government student loan by paying it off with a line of credit is beyond me. 

A few years ago it would have made sense - but even then, I had a friend who took a bank loan at lower interest to get rid of her student loan and actually ended up regretting it due to all of the changes that happened and benefits. 

The interest you pay on your government student loans is tax deductible. 

I want to encourage all of you here to stop doing what you "hear of others" doing. Do your own research. This is your money, and could potentially be significant money. You should know enough that when you do get to the point that you need to hire a financial advisor, you can identify if you are being taken advantage of and what is actually in your best interests. r/personalfinancecanada on Reddit is an excellent resource. Use the search function there before asking your questions. Note that if it has any relationship with anything government related, things change so an answer within the past 12 months will be best. 

But honestly... still shaking my head at the thought that paying off an interest free loan with a line of credit is a good idea. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 1:47 PM, OyVey said:

 

I want to encourage all of you here to stop doing what you "hear of others" doing. Do your own research. This is your money, and could potentially be significant money. You should know enough that when you do get to the point that you need to hire a financial advisor, you can identify if you are being taken advantage of and what is actually in your best interests. r/personalfinancecanada on Reddit is an excellent resource. Use the search function there before asking your questions. Note that if it has any relationship with anything government related, things change so an answer within the past 12 months will be best. 

But honestly... still shaking my head at the thought that paying off an interest free loan with a line of credit is a good idea. 

Maybe my views will change as I age but for now I think financial advisors are a complete waste of money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 1:47 PM, OyVey said:

But honestly... still shaking my head at the thought that paying off an interest free loan with a line of credit is a good idea. 

Isn't it possible that OP has graduated, their government loans are no longer interest-free because they've graduated, and now they're paying interest on their government loan at prime+1% or whatever, while their LOC has an interest rate of prime+0%? (Even if their government loans are interest-free for this year, maybe they're planning on doing this next year when that's no longer the case.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, masterofnut said:

Isn't it possible that OP has graduated, their government loans are no longer interest-free because they've graduated, and now they're paying interest on their government loan at prime+1% or whatever, while their LOC has an interest rate of prime+0%? (Even if their government loans are interest-free for this year, maybe they're planning on doing this next year when that's no longer the case.) 

OP apparently is a first year call

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

OP apparently is a first year call

Right, then I'm confused as to why they're getting ripped on by OyVey for paying off their government loans with their LOC, when it's likely that their LOC has a lower interest rate than their government loans (or at least it regularly would, notwithstanding COVID's effect on government loans). I know mine does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, masterofnut said:

Right, then I'm confused as to why they're getting ripped on by OyVey for paying off their government loans with their LOC, when it's likely that their LOC has a lower interest rate than their government loans (or at least it regularly would, notwithstanding COVID's effect on government loans). I know mine does.

OyVey probably assumed that OP is still in school.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool idea would be take your LoC and invest it into the S&P 500 if you're not an experienced investor. With all the fed pumping money into the market, its free money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, HarveySpecter1997 said:

Cool idea would be take your LoC and invest it into the S&P 500 if you're not an experienced investor. With all the fed pumping money into the market, its free money. 

Better idea to buy "digital" gold i.e. bitcoin. Unlimited upside

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eeee said:

Better idea to buy "digital" gold i.e. bitcoin. Unlimited upside

Depends on your risk tolerance but yeah I think thats a great way to go too haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, HarveySpecter1997 said:

Cool idea would be take your LoC and invest it into the S&P 500 if you're not an experienced investor. With all the fed pumping money into the market, its free money. 

Most LoC don't allow this and can pull your credit if they find out you're doing this with the funds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/5/2021 at 6:06 PM, masterofnut said:

Right, then I'm confused as to why they're getting ripped on by OyVey for paying off their government loans with their LOC, when it's likely that their LOC has a lower interest rate than their government loans (or at least it regularly would, notwithstanding COVID's effect on government loans). I know mine does.

Because the BC Government removed student loan interest (https://studentaidbc.ca/news/general/eliminating-interest-bc-student-loans)  and so are the feds (https://www.ubyssey.ca/news/feds-eliminate-student-loan-interest-2021-22/). I do not have the capacity right now to go through the Federal budget and find the line item. 

It seems to me that none of you that have drawn attention to my comments did look into why I said what I said. I cannot speak for other provinces - but if you have a BC student loan, the BC portion of your student loan is interest free. Even if you are done school. For the 2021/2022 year, the Federal portion is also going to be interest free. 

Edited by OyVey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 7:08 PM, Luckycharm said:

OyVey probably assumed that OP is still in school.

I didn't. 

You will see my reply above this. 

 

There have been changes to the student loan programs as a result of changes in government (NDP in BC), and as a response to the pandemic (Federal changes to student loan interest). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • As someone who is also anxiously awaiting admissions I would say that some comforting things that have helped me with managing if I don't get in this year are that the average admissions age is 25-26 years. I obviously don't know your age, but for me this gave comfort as it meant if I do get rejected then I will take the time to invest it in relevant work experience and boosting my LSAT score without "falling behind" the general population in law school. While age doesn't really matter, it helped me rationalize that I am really young in comparison to other applicants and I should not take it as an insult/discouragement to spend the same amount of time they have taken to invest in getting into law school. Also, you can always transfer after 1L so if you dislike your school then you can always transfer! 
    • I'm on the same boat as you, in review for most places.
    • If you’re hired, I would confirm with your firm before committing to anything.  I don’t think it’s safe to say anything at this point and, depending on the firm, you may not even be allowed to physically enter the office absent exceptional circumstances. 
    • Hey! I had extremely similar stats and the same LSAT score and I was accepted yesterday! Also a double major, work on student government, and strong reference letters! It sounds like you have a good chance at receiving an offer! Best of luck:) 
    • Former adcomm here. Assuming you have a smattering of A's to balance out your lower courses, that 175  LSAT says you'll likely get in somewhere.  Lots of schools focus on your L2 GPA, so what's that like for you? Count backwards from your most recent course until you've gotten at least 10 full credits. You can't split up school years/summers. So if your last course 10 lands on say something you took in the summer, you continue counting and include all the courses you took in the fall/winter semester leading up. If the course lands in the winter, you  include all the courses from the fall as well.  If you have a handful of courses dragging you down, you can also look at schools that drop your lowest, although I don't know of any in Ontario that calculate GPA that way. Oh, and no one will care that you took 8 years to finish your undergrad if you have a good explanation. And yours is a pretty good one. Not everyone can do school full time. Schools know this.

×
×
  • Create New...