Jump to content
Mooreeffoc

Transferring after 1L

Recommended Posts

Has anyone transferred to a different school after 1L? If so, where did you start, where did you end up, and how/why did you make the change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Several TRU students always end up transferring to UBC after 1L, often to be closer to family. In my year there were 2 who transferred to UBC because their partners lived in Vancouver, and 1 who transferred due to family issues.

TRU usually has incoming transfers from Windsor and Lakehead who are typically from BC originally and transfer here to increase their chances at securing a job in BC.

Edited by canuckfanatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were two students (that I know of) in my 1L year at Western who transferred to Osgoode, in both cases I believe for family-related reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mooreeffoc said:

Has anyone transferred to a different school after 1L? If so, where did you start, where did you end up, and how/why did you make the change?

thinking about transfer?

From where to where?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I transferred from one law school to another last year. For the sake of anonymity, feel free to PM me if you want to hear about my experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Transferred from Windsor Dual JD to Ottawa. Reasons: really love politics and wanted to increase my chance of landing a federal government internship, also dual JD was very expensive. Realized I have no intention to practice in the US during 1L after getting exposed to the legal system in Detroit. I was originally interested in practicing in the US because I have some close family members in the US. Transfer application is pretty straight forward. Your 1L, especially first semester grades, need to be decent for transfer. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 8:50 PM, Mooreeffoc said:

@Luckycharm from Queen’s to UWO

I’m not saying it’s never been done (although I don’t know anyone who has done this) but this seems like a lateral move. All the students I know at Queen’s who transferred went to the higher-ranked schools (UofT or Osgoode). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First year at OZ, then transferred to UofT. Mainly because I live downtown so it was less of a commute. Also because of some cool externship opportunities. I applied for a transfer thru OLSAS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2021 at 1:50 PM, newlawcraze said:

Transferred from Windsor Dual JD to Ottawa. Reasons: really love politics and wanted to increase my chance of landing a federal government internship, also dual JD was very expensive. Realized I have no intention to practice in the US during 1L after getting exposed to the legal system in Detroit. I was originally interested in practicing in the US because I have some close family members in the US. Transfer application is pretty straight forward. Your 1L, especially first semester grades, need to be decent for transfer. 

You should post more of your story! Many people here say it's very hard to transfer out of Dual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, thinking of transferring from Windsor single JD to Western, how difficult is the process, is it mostly first year mark based? Is Windsor not offering Torts in 1L problematic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, footballguy12 said:

Also, thinking of transferring from Windsor single JD to Western, how difficult is the process, is it mostly first year mark based? Is Windsor not offering Torts in 1L problematic?

Whatever you didn't take in Windsor, you have to take it in Western.

First year mark is a big factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Whatever you didn't take in Windsor, you have to take it in Western.

First year mark is a big factor.

Cool, thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, footballguy12 said:

Cool, thank you! 

Do you have any 'compassionate" ground ?

Admission Considerations

While a holistic review of all applications is undertaken, the following are major considerations in upper-year admissions decisions:

  • the availability of places in second and third year courses;
  • compassionate grounds, if applicable; and
  • academic performance in law school (a competitive upper-year applicant will generally have a B average, or higher, in law school to date).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luckycharm said:

Do you have any 'compassionate" ground ?

Admission Considerations

While a holistic review of all applications is undertaken, the following are major considerations in upper-year admissions decisions:

  • the availability of places in second and third year courses;
  • compassionate grounds, if applicable; and
  • academic performance in law school (a competitive upper-year applicant will generally have a B average, or higher, in law school to date).

Basically just to be closer to home, nothing too substantial. That's basically why I asked to see if anyone has had to experience to see how difficult the process is, grades are solid so far ( fully understand it has only been mid-year marks this far). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, footballguy12 said:

Basically just to be closer to home, nothing too substantial. That's basically why I asked to see if anyone has had to experience to see how difficult the process is, grades are solid so far ( fully understand it has only been mid-year marks this far). 

 

Is your girl friend in London too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2021 at 1:50 PM, newlawcraze said:

Transferred from Windsor Dual JD to Ottawa. Reasons: really love politics and wanted to increase my chance of landing a federal government internship, also dual JD was very expensive. Realized I have no intention to practice in the US during 1L after getting exposed to the legal system in Detroit. I was originally interested in practicing in the US because I have some close family members in the US. Transfer application is pretty straight forward. Your 1L, especially first semester grades, need to be decent for transfer. 

Thank you for this post. Was hoping you could answer when you actually inquired about transferring (mid year? end of year)? Also, is there any systematic protocol or would you just have to contact admissions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mapleleafs18 said:

Thank you for this post. Was hoping you could answer when you actually inquired about transferring (mid year? end of year)? Also, is there any systematic protocol or would you just have to contact admissions?

Happy to chat as well, transferred out of the Dual, you can send me a pm if you want

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mapleleafs18 said:

Thank you for this post. Was hoping you could answer when you actually inquired about transferring (mid year? end of year)? Also, is there any systematic protocol or would you just have to contact admissions?

From where to where?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • I know this isn't a new subject, but I need to get it off my chest. I just took my first 100% 1L exam (Corporate law) - looking purely at questions I was able to finish in time, my best possible mark is 67%, and my more realistic mark could be 60% or below. I recognize the curve might push that one way or the other, but I'm honestly just at a loss of what happens next. Has anyone else had this experience? Is it ever possible to redo a course? How did you recover (academically/mentally) from this? And just realistically, what impact does this have on the job-search for 2L/articling. Is this kind of mark (maybe a D?) something you can get over? 
    • The chances you have a 4/4.3 at université de montréal after getting a 4 at the certificate are VERY low. First of all, out of 300+ students only a couple in any given year achieve 4 or better. The chance that's you is not super high. Also, people who come from the certificate generally do a lot worse in the bacc. People with 4 in the certificate normally come in and get 3.3 if they are lucky (often less). That doesn't mean it's impossible to come in and get 4 after getting 4 at the certificate, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.  You can choose courses strategically to a certain extent but between your 2nd and 3rd years at the fac about half of the classes you take will be mandatory second year classes (like admin, penal 2, affaires 1 et 2, etc.). Frankly if you want to go to med and absolutely maximize your chances then going to law first is not a great step. If you want to get 4 then that is generally a bit more doable at faculties that do not curve, though frankly by no means easy or likely either at those faculties. Sorry if this is a bit harsh but I think it is accurate. 
    • Not sure, my friend never said how easy or hard it was. I'm sure someone on here can probably give their own experience, though.  
    • Bonjour, J'ai terminé le certificat en droit UdeM avec 4/4.3 et je serai probablement admis en deuxième année pour l'automne prochain. Après droit, je veux étudier en médecine, donc je veux garder une très bonne cote. J'ai donc peur de choisir l'UdeM plutôt qu'une autre université où les notes ne sont pas selon la moyenne, mais si je ne vais pas à l'UdeM, je serais retardé d'un an. Pour ceux qui étudient à l'UdeM, comment trouvez vous faisable d'avoir une moyenne de 4 par exemple? C'est ce que j'ai au certificat, mais j'ai peur que ça diminue quand ça sera selon la moyenne. Faut-t-il choisir ses cours de façon stratégique pour cela? Merci beaucoup!
    • Is it easy to switch from the JD to the single program? Are most people who want to make the switch granted it?

×
×
  • Create New...