Mooreeffoc

Transferring after 1L

Has anyone transferred to a different school after 1L? If so, where did you start, where did you end up, and how/why did you make the change?

Posted (edited)

Several TRU students always end up transferring to UBC after 1L, often to be closer to family. In my year there were 2 who transferred to UBC because their partners lived in Vancouver, and 1 who transferred due to family issues.

TRU usually has incoming transfers from Windsor and Lakehead who are typically from BC originally and transfer here to increase their chances at securing a job in BC.

Edited by canuckfanatic

There were two students (that I know of) in my 1L year at Western who transferred to Osgoode, in both cases I believe for family-related reasons.

5 hours ago, Mooreeffoc said:

Has anyone transferred to a different school after 1L? If so, where did you start, where did you end up, and how/why did you make the change?

thinking about transfer?

From where to where?

I transferred from one law school to another last year. For the sake of anonymity, feel free to PM me if you want to hear about my experience. 

Transferred from Windsor Dual JD to Ottawa. Reasons: really love politics and wanted to increase my chance of landing a federal government internship, also dual JD was very expensive. Realized I have no intention to practice in the US during 1L after getting exposed to the legal system in Detroit. I was originally interested in practicing in the US because I have some close family members in the US. Transfer application is pretty straight forward. Your 1L, especially first semester grades, need to be decent for transfer. 

• Like 2

On 1/2/2021 at 8:50 PM, Mooreeffoc said:

@Luckycharm from Queen’s to UWO

I’m not saying it’s never been done (although I don’t know anyone who has done this) but this seems like a lateral move. All the students I know at Queen’s who transferred went to the higher-ranked schools (UofT or Osgoode). 

First year at OZ, then transferred to UofT. Mainly because I live downtown so it was less of a commute. Also because of some cool externship opportunities. I applied for a transfer thru OLSAS. 

On 1/3/2021 at 1:50 PM, newlawcraze said:

Transferred from Windsor Dual JD to Ottawa. Reasons: really love politics and wanted to increase my chance of landing a federal government internship, also dual JD was very expensive. Realized I have no intention to practice in the US during 1L after getting exposed to the legal system in Detroit. I was originally interested in practicing in the US because I have some close family members in the US. Transfer application is pretty straight forward. Your 1L, especially first semester grades, need to be decent for transfer. 

You should post more of your story! Many people here say it's very hard to transfer out of Dual.

Also, thinking of transferring from Windsor single JD to Western, how difficult is the process, is it mostly first year mark based? Is Windsor not offering Torts in 1L problematic?

1 hour ago, footballguy12 said:

Also, thinking of transferring from Windsor single JD to Western, how difficult is the process, is it mostly first year mark based? Is Windsor not offering Torts in 1L problematic?

Whatever you didn't take in Windsor, you have to take it in Western.

First year mark is a big factor.

3 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Whatever you didn't take in Windsor, you have to take it in Western.

First year mark is a big factor.

Cool, thank you! 

11 minutes ago, footballguy12 said:

Cool, thank you! 

Do you have any 'compassionate" ground ?

Admission Considerations

While a holistic review of all applications is undertaken, the following are major considerations in upper-year admissions decisions:

• the availability of places in second and third year courses;
  • compassionate grounds, if applicable; and
  • academic performance in law school (a competitive upper-year applicant will generally have a B average, or higher, in law school to date).

1 minute ago, Luckycharm said:

Do you have any 'compassionate" ground ?

Admission Considerations

While a holistic review of all applications is undertaken, the following are major considerations in upper-year admissions decisions:

• the availability of places in second and third year courses;
  • compassionate grounds, if applicable; and
  • academic performance in law school (a competitive upper-year applicant will generally have a B average, or higher, in law school to date).

Basically just to be closer to home, nothing too substantial. That's basically why I asked to see if anyone has had to experience to see how difficult the process is, grades are solid so far ( fully understand it has only been mid-year marks this far). 

2 hours ago, footballguy12 said:

Basically just to be closer to home, nothing too substantial. That's basically why I asked to see if anyone has had to experience to see how difficult the process is, grades are solid so far ( fully understand it has only been mid-year marks this far). 

Is your girl friend in London too?

On 1/3/2021 at 1:50 PM, newlawcraze said:

Thank you for this post. Was hoping you could answer when you actually inquired about transferring (mid year? end of year)? Also, is there any systematic protocol or would you just have to contact admissions?

36 minutes ago, mapleleafs18 said:

Thank you for this post. Was hoping you could answer when you actually inquired about transferring (mid year? end of year)? Also, is there any systematic protocol or would you just have to contact admissions?

Happy to chat as well, transferred out of the Dual, you can send me a pm if you want

36 minutes ago, mapleleafs18 said:

From where to where?