Tootsie

Help and Chances [2.0, 2.3, 157 PT]

CGPA: 2.0... Best 2 years is 2.3... 
I haven’t taken the LSAT yet but my average is around 157. 
I know my chances are low. But do I have any chance to get in anywhere? What would be the best way to improve my chances? Should I be retaking classes? I need help.

Are you applying general? Mature? Access? 

Your cGPA is really, really low, and your LSAT isn't great either. If you're still in school, and you're dead set on law school, then your best bet would probably be to do another undergrad degree and bring your GPA up to a more competitive level (3.7+). 

Assuming your L2 is close to your B2 you’ll need to take at least 2 more years of university and achieve a 3.5+ to have a chance anywhere. You should also try and get your LSAT to above 160.

edit: unless you cure cancer

Edited by MountainMon

1 hour ago, Tootsie said:

CGPA: 2.0... Best 2 years is 2.3... 
I haven’t taken the LSAT yet but my average is around 157. 
I know my chances are low. But do I have any chance to get in anywhere? What would be the best way to improve my chances? Should I be retaking classes? I need help.

Do you have a plan B?

15 minutes ago, 76th said:

@Diplock hypothetical LSAT score alert

Well this person said they haven't taken the LSAT yet so they're not putting a fake number out there. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dreamchaser said:

Well this person said they haven't taken the LSAT yet so they're not putting a fake number out there. 

Posting your GPA and then an LSAT score that you are averaging, in a chances thread comes pretty close to throwing out a hypothetical score.

Writing out the words hypothetical isn't the only way of throwing out a hypothetical score.

The comment was also meant to poke fun at that previous long thread. Go take a read where a large portion of it talks about people posting hypothetical scores. That's what I was making fun of. It's one thing to PT, but another to actually score something on test day.

36 minutes ago, 76th said:

Posting your GPA and then an LSAT score that you are averaging, in a chances thread comes pretty close to throwing out a hypothetical score.

Writing out the words hypothetical isn't the only way of throwing out a hypothetical score.

The comment was also meant to poke fun at that previous long thread. Go take a read where a large portion of it talks about people posting hypothetical scores. That's what I was making fun of. It's one thing to PT, but another to actually score something on test day.

Read it before posting here.

OP is looking for advice and I assume they added their average PT score to give us an idea as to where they stand. I don't think it's similar to what Diplock was referring to. His/Her post was mainly directed towards users who claim they have achieved a 170+ on the official test when realistically (and statistically) that doesn't add up.

• Like 4

Yeah. Not that I'm the arbiter of who's allowed to post what here, but I certainly don't think the OP has misrepresented his or her situation in any way. That said, I really don't know what to suggest to someone who's best years in school are clocking in at around a C+ average. That's just so far off competitive that even talking about the LSAT is premature.

I don't typically participate in these discussions because it's been so long since I applied to law school, whatever minimal knowledge I once had isn't even current. But I'd say spend two years fixing your grades then revisit this question. As stands, writing the LSAT and applying to law school would be a waste of your time, money, and psychological reserves.

• Like 1

As it currently stands, your chances are basically 0.

If you are really keen on getting into law school, you'll want to boost your L2, which is roughly 60 credits. I know that UofA accepts credits from post-degree courses but I don't think most other schools do. If you can get your L2 up to a 3.6+, you can get away with an LSAT in the 160s range.

Edited by Psychometronic
  • Like 2

It would not be premature to spend some of your free time learning about the LSAT (LG strategies and time management strategies) and doing another PT (practice test) or two under timed conditions. You may find that you have a special aptitude for the LSAT, or you may find that it's going to be a very hard road. (By "some of your free time", I mean like a few evenings or afternoons).

Other than that, try to get that GPA up. One thing not often mentioned is this: If you are trying to graduate with a high GPA, and you are still in the middle of your undergrad, a lot of courses allow you to drop a course without academic penalty if you find your self doping poorly.

Get lots of A's in your next semester, and you are in the running's. Otherwise, explore options other than law school.

How many years of undergrad do you have left?

@Tootsie Is there any particular reason why your stats are what they are? Putting aside the issue of whether you can get in to law school somewhere in Canada (which others have already addressed), it may not be a good thing for you if you were to be admitted.

12 hours ago, Psychometronic said:

As it currently stands, your chances are basically 0.

If you are really keen on getting into law school, you'll want to boost your L2, which is roughly 60 credits. I know that UofA accepts credits from post-degree courses but I don't think most other schools do. If you can get your L2 up to a 3.6+, you can get away with an LSAT in the 160s range.

Lots of schools actually do accept post-degree undergrad coursework, the only one that has told me they flat out don’t is UBC and UVic accepts only 3000 or 4000 level courses taken post-graduation. I’ve applied to U of T, Windsor, Dal, UVic, Queens and Oz. 

I think your best path to law school may be targeting schools with holistic admissions processes after gaining some meaningful non-academic experience, and perhaps completing some more coursework to show that you’re capable of high marks. If there is an upward trend on your transcript, it may make a difference. That being said, with that low of a gpa it is going to take a lot of work on your end. If you have an access claim, that can also help to mitigate it a bit. Best of luck friend 😊