techSanta

Your wishlist at school

Hi Guys,

I am not a law student, but before you boo me out of here, I want to help! 

I am software engineer really interested in law looking for a passion project to build. Would love to hear any challenges you might have at law school and you might be like "This is 2020, this should be easier to do"

For instance, one of my friends studies at UVic and tells me about the overwhelming amount of readings she has to do and she always lacks time to finish her readings...

I would love to hear your thoughts, your main challenges, and things you wished existed as law students to make your life less stressful and more fun at law school. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

How can you help??

Anything that is repetitive that can be automated, anything that you have to switch in multiple references for cross referencing, basically anything that feels like a time not well spent. 

12 hours ago, Starling said:

The readings take a long time but we’ve already got a solution for that - CANs. 

so CANs are same as outlines yes? How do you obtain them? is it just you outlining your self or using other people's outlines? I was wondering if you can elaborate on this a bit. 

11 hours ago, techSanta said:

so CANs are same as outlines yes? How do you obtain them? is it just you outlining your self or using other people's outlines? I was wondering if you can elaborate on this a bit. 

Bit of both. You get them from friends and from the school's database.

12 hours ago, techSanta said:

Anything that is repetitive that can be automated, anything that you have to switch in multiple references for cross referencing, basically anything that feels like a time not well spent. 

This mindset doesn’t really work for law school. In 1L, for example, when everything is new and people don’t know how to read a case or study effectively, part of the process is figuring out a study method that works for them. For a lot of people, it results in a lot of time spent on something they find can be done more efficiently later on. It’s not necessarily wasted time because it’s part of the learning process. Starling pointed out an existing solution to the efficiently issue though even these come from the hard work of students who create them. 

I can’t think of anything that can be automated in law school. Students need to study and how they go about it depends on what they need to do as individuals to understand the material. 

Edited by Psychometronic
  • Like 1