HiLawWorld98

Clerkship Interviews 2021

1 hour ago, SeniorLopez247 said:

Mind if I ask who the interview was with?

Committee

• Like 1

Has anyone who interviewed with the FC heard back yet? Or are they waiting for SCC offers to come out before FC offers can go out?

8 hours ago, cpsklrz said:

Question for my fellow SCC interviewees -- anyone interviewing after Wednesday? I've only heard of Wednesday interviews. (Trying to suss out when calls might start, since that's a good way of procrastinating interview prep).

Mine are tomorrow (Tuesday). Good luck everyone. 

12 hours ago, Aschenbach said:

Has anyone who interviewed with the FC heard back yet? Or are they waiting for SCC offers to come out before FC offers can go out?

I'm wondering this too 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, sparklylawyer said:

I'm wondering this too 

From what I can tell, FCA makes their offers before FC, and FCA won't move until SCC offers are made. So it'll probably still be a little while before FC starts getting back to people. It probably doesn't make sense for FC to offer someone a clerkship who is still waiting to hear from a higher court. Hence why people on here are also saying that the FC interview/offer process usually runs a little later into the spring.

Edited by CaptainHolt
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, CaptainHolt said:

From what I can tell, FCA makes their offers before FC, and FCA won't move until SCC offers are made. So it'll probably still be a little while before FC starts getting back to people. It probably doesn't make sense for FC to offer someone a clerkship who is still waiting to hear from a higher court. Hence why people on here are also saying that the FC interview/offer process usually runs a little later into the spring.

I was told by FC and FCA judges that both courts send out their offers simultaneously (i.e. it is possible to get an offer from both courts). The first offers are going out this Friday (presumably after SCC offers go out).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Isla said:

I was told by FC and FCA judges that both courts send out their offers simultaneously (i.e. it is possible to get an offer from both courts). The first offers are going out this Friday (presumably after SCC offers go out).

Yes, I certainly think that's possible. But if people don't hear from the FC on Friday, I don't think they should worry. I'm trying to read between the lines a bit, but from the law clerk program website, it seems likely that the FC can make offers later in the process. It says that the courts make offers simultaneous with ONCA, so that means FCA probably makes their offers this week. But it also says that interviews will be held from February to April. So... maybe there's still hope for the FC after this week?

5. Once my application is complete, what happens next?

Once all the necessary documents have been received and it has been determined that you possess all essential qualifications, your application will appear in a database accessible to the Judges. They will make a selection of interviewees, and interviews will be held from February to April. Once the Supreme Court of Canada has made all of its clerkship offers, the Federal Courts proceed with their offers. There is an agreement with the Court of Appeal of Ontario to issue simultaneous offers. In the event that you receive several offers, you will have time to decide between the Courts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaptainHolt said:

Yes, I certainly think that's possible. But if people don't hear from the FC on Friday, I don't think they should worry. I'm trying to read between the lines a bit, but from the law clerk program website, it seems likely that the FC can make offers later in the process. It says that the courts make offers simultaneous with ONCA, so that means FCA probably makes their offers this week. But it also says that interviews will be held from February to April. So... maybe there's still hope for the FC after this week?

Definitely. I know someone who got an offer from the FC in May or June a few years ago. People who have the opportunity to choose between multiple offers from different courts will also delay the process.

I just wanted to let everyone know what the judges told me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaptainHolt said:

Hence why people on here are also saying that the FC interview/offer process usually runs a little later into the spring.

50 minutes ago, CaptainHolt said:

Yes, I certainly think that's possible. But if people don't hear from the FC on Friday, I don't think they should worry.But it also says that interviews will be held from February to April. So... maybe there's still hope for the FC after this week?

The process with the FC is just different. It isn't necessarily a sole reflection on them waiting for other courts to make offers. Some justices won't even begin their interview process until later in March, April, May. It's the way it has always been. So, no, no one should be worrying if they don't hear from the FC on Friday. The other issue is that it is typical for people who are offered a position with the FC, not to be sharing that information until the process is complete.

I'm a little surprised that many of you don't appear to have asked these questions of the current clerks. It is always recommended that contact be made with current clerks to ask any and all questions about the clerkship. It's also a good idea because clerks are often very involved in the hiring process.

Good luck to all of you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

I'm a little surprised that many of you don't appear to have asked these questions of the current clerks. It is always recommended that contact be made with current clerks to ask any and all questions about the clerkship. It's also a good idea because clerks are often very involved in the hiring process.

How does one go about contacting FCA/FC clerks? They're not listed on the website as they are with ONCA.

9 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

Good luck to all of you.

Thanks! 

16 hours ago, Aschenbach said:

I was told by two FC judges (on separate instances) that the judges will submit their pick of names on Wednesday and the most senior judges will get their first picks and make calls as early as next week.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, fras90 said:

Hello people I am interviewing late Wednesday as well but I have a friend interviewing on Thursday morning. Hopefully we get a response before Friday midday, I thought calls were all being sent at Friday 1PM ? Was it not that last year? 

It takes quite some time (several hours), because judges select clerks through a draft system and call each clerk after each pick, I assume because of the risk one may turn down an offer. So don't panic if your friend gets called and you don't! I think last year the calls started in the AM and went into the mid- to late afternoon. Sometimes calls start on the Thursday, sometimes the calls don't start until the weekend. It really depends on the year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In my interview for SCC they said they are selecting Friday morning and calls will go out Friday/ into the weekend potentially 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, solas said:

It takes quite some time (several hours), because judges select clerks through a draft system and call each clerk after each pick, I assume because of the risk one may turn down an offer. So don't panic if your friend gets called and you don't! I think last year the calls started in the AM and went into the mid- to late afternoon. Sometimes calls start on the Thursday, sometimes the calls don't start until the weekend. It really depends on the year. 

1 hour ago, whatlikeitshard said:

In my interview for SCC they said they are selecting Friday morning and calls will go out Friday/ into the weekend potentially 

Thank you both for sharing this!! 

On 3/1/2021 at 5:30 PM, SadJaysFan said:

I don't want to say much in the interest of fairness to everyone interviewing, but it was much briefer than I would have expected and the questions were not what I expected going in. 

Now that I've interviewed with the Committee, 100% agree. Literally no idea how to feel. Good luck to us all, I guess!

Just now, cpsklrz said:

Now that I've interviewed with the Committee, 100% agree. Literally no idea how to feel. Good luck to us all, I guess!

I didn't do committee but I feel the same. Definitely not vibing that I got it this year (not great odds without committee anyway) but alas!!! I hope some of us get a spot! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cpsklrz said:

Glad to know you feel the same way! I was worried I said something wrong and they just wanted me to go

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SadJaysFan said:

Glad to know you feel the same way! I was worried I said something wrong and they just wanted me to go

omg I thought the exact same hahaha. I was like "wow they're cutting this off because I said some dumb stuff..." but brevity/uncertainty seems to be a common theme!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cpsklrz said:

omg I thought the exact same hahaha. I was like "wow they're cutting this off because I said some dumb stuff..." but brevity/uncertainty seems to be a common theme!

was anyones under 20 minutes? 

1 minute ago, whatlikeitshard said:

was anyones under 20 minutes? 

Mine was about 15 minutes (with Committee)