HiLawWorld98

Clerkship Interviews 2021

I am wondering, how should we refer to judges during interviews?

24 minutes ago, SCOTUS said:

I am wondering, how should we refer to judges during interviews?

I referred to the judges as "Justice [last name]" during my interview with the TCC*. That is what I was told was respectful etiquette.

Edited by HarveyRoss369
* clarifying which court
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, whatlikeitshard said:

With what court? 

BC courts, BCSC & BCCA. I read that it's officially "my lord" or "my lady". but that sounds weird...

1 hour ago, SCOTUS said:

BC courts, BCSC & BCCA. I read that it's officially "my lord" or "my lady". but that sounds weird...

That’s the proper way to refer to them in court, but not outside of court. Outside of court, the technically correct way to refer to BC judges is “Mr. Justice SoAndSo” or “Madam Justice SoAndSo”.

With that said, in an interview setting I would go with “Justice SoAndSo”. None of the judges would think that’s inappropriate. That’s also likely how they’ll introduce themselves to you. 

See the out of court section of this

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

That’s the proper way to refer to them in court, but not outside of court. Outside of court, the technically correct way to refer to BC judges is “Mr. Justice SoAndSo” or “Madam Justice SoAndSo”.

With that said, in an interview setting I would go with “Justice SoAndSo”. None of the judges would think that’s inappropriate. That’s also likely how they’ll introduce themselves to you. 

See the out of court section of this

Thank you! But what if I just wanna answer their questions, what should I say? "Yes sir" or "Yes your honour"?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SCOTUS said:

Thank you! But what if I just wanna answer their questions, what should I say? "Yes sir" or "Yes your honour"?

My advice would be to answer like you would in a normal job interview without any added formalities. You’ll understand once you’ve gone through the interviews, but appellate interviews are relatively informal.

Just make sure you’re being sufficiently respectful, and you’ll be fine! 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

Question for my fellow SCC interviewees -- anyone interviewing after Wednesday? I've only heard of Wednesday interviews. (Trying to suss out when calls might start, since that's a good way of procrastinating interview prep).

5 minutes ago, cpsklrz said:

Question for my fellow SCC interviewees -- anyone interviewing after Wednesday? I've only heard of Wednesday interviews. (Trying to suss out when calls might start, since that's a good way of procrastinating interview prep).

I had mine today, but forgot to ask them when I might hear back

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SadJaysFan said:

Congrats on getting that done with, hope it went well!! 

7 minutes ago, SadJaysFan said:

Feel free to not share if you don't want, but did the Committee ask about your writing sample(s) or any case(s) you prepped?

1 hour ago, cpsklrz said:

Feel free to not share if you don't want, but did the Committee ask about your writing sample(s) or any case(s) you prepped?

I don't want to say much in the interest of fairness to everyone interviewing, but it was much briefer than I would have expected and the questions were not what I expected going in. 

• Like 2

I have one tomorrow. I heard Monday-Thursday is probably The interview times but I don’t know of anyone with a Wednesday/ Thursday one! 

2 minutes ago, SadJaysFan said:

I don't want to say much in the interest of fairness to everyone interviewing, but it was much briefer than I would have expected and the questions were not what I expected going in. 

Appreciate you sharing that! Looking forward to the unknown ahead, haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whatlikeitshard said:

I have one tomorrow. I heard Monday-Thursday is probably The interview times but I don’t know of anyone with a Wednesday/ Thursday one! 

Oh interesting, I only know of people on Wednesday (myself + 3 others).

2 minutes ago, cpsklrz said:

Oh interesting, I only know of people on Wednesday (myself + 3 others).

I’m thinking Friday at the earliest for calls? If they say anything to me tomorrow tho I will let y’all know 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whatlikeitshard said:

I’m thinking Friday at the earliest for calls? If they say anything to me tomorrow tho I will let y’all know 

Friday is what I'm hoping (though wouldn't say no to Thursday, haha). Keep us posted, and best of luck!!

• Like 1

Hello people I am interviewing late Wednesday as well but I have a friend interviewing on Thursday morning. Hopefully we get a response before Friday midday, I thought calls were all being sent at Friday 1PM ? Was it not that last year? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SadJaysFan said:

Mind if I ask who the interview was with?