HiLawWorld98

Clerkship Interviews 2021

2 hours ago, finnis said:

My understanding is that the FC interview and hiring process drags on until May-ish.

Correct - the process is longer (because there are more judges) and is not dependent on FCA hiring. It can easily go into April and beyond, depending on the year.

• Thanks 1

Do we know if BCCA/BCSC sends out their second round interview offers all at once?

For the BCSC or the BCCA, do we get to know which Justices we will be interviewing with...? 

1 hour ago, SCOTUS said:

For the BCSC or the BCCA, do we get to know which Justices we will be interviewing with..

The email I got just said with 3 judges, no names were given. 

2 minutes ago, OnGuardForThee said:

The email I got just said with 3 judges, no names were given. 

But that was before we schedule the actual interview. Maybe we will know after? Just hoping....

Interveiwing with the FC this week, anyone have any insights on whether I should expect substative law questions, or if it is closer to a firm interview? (ie conversational and about fit)

Any advice would be super appreciated!

9 minutes ago, Martlet2017 said:

Interveiwing with the FC this week, anyone have any insights on whether I should expect substative law questions, or if it is closer to a firm interview? (ie conversational and about fit)

My FCA interview was quite conversational, and I would generally expect the Federal Court to be the same. If you indicated oral proficiency in both languages, be prepared to be interviewed in both languages. To the extent there are any substantive questions, you can probably expect them to be ones which arise naturally from your areas of interest or experiences. If you've shown a strong interest in Aboriginal law, for instance, you might get asked if you have a favourite case in the area or if there's a change in the law you would like to see. 

At some point in the past few years Osgoode put together this handout, which might be helpful to you and others in this thread. It looks like the two people who provided comments on the FC also found it to be generally conversational in nature. 

1 hour ago, SCOTUS said:

But that was before we schedule the actual interview. Maybe we will know after? Just hoping....

You likely won't know, and I believe the judges may actually change during the week. It's fine though, there's honestly no reason you would need to know. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

My FCA interview was quite conversational, and I would generally expect the Federal Court to be the same. If you indicated oral proficiency in both languages, be prepared to be interviewed in both languages. To the extent there are any substantive questions, you can probably expect them to be ones which arise naturally from your areas of interest or experiences. If you've shown a strong interest in Aboriginal law, for instance, you might get asked if you have a favourite case in the area or if there's a change in the law you would like to see. 

At some point in the past few years Osgoode put together this handout, which might be helpful to you and others in this thread. It looks like the two people who provided comments on the FC also found it to be generally conversational in nature. 

You likely won't know, and I believe the judges may actually change during the week. It's fine though, there's honestly no reason you would need to know. 

This is super helpful, thanks! I will be sure to update this post with tips come friday.

Edited by Martlet2017

On 2/23/2021 at 2:47 PM, Done123 said:

Random question but if I got interviews from the FCA but still nothing from the FC should I consider it to be done for me or does the FC starts calling after the FCA's offers?

I had 1 interview with the FCA about 2 weeks ago and 3 interviews with the FC in the past 2 weeks and the judges told me that offers for both the FCA and the FC will go out either on the same day or within the same week. You can only get 1 offer from each court, meaning if multiple judges at the FCA or FC like you, the most senior judge from each court will make you an offer. If you refuse, you will not get another offer from that court. They seemed to be saying this will happen the week of March 15 but I've heard of people interviewing well into April and receiving offers in May. I'm assuming if most judges haven't completed their interview process, they'll wait after them to send out offers as its based on seniority. I wouldn't rule out anything just yet, you could very well get more interviews at either court within the next couple of weeks. Hope this helps! 

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2021 at 4:02 PM, Martlet2017 said:

I'd say it depends. One of my interviews was beyond informal and really just a conversation to see if there's a good personality fit. I was asked one question : "How would your friends describe you"? My other interview was extremely formal and just question after question. No substantive law questions just questions about me, things on my CV and how I would react in certain situations (i.e. if I disagree with the judge's decision). And then another interview was super informal as well and I was only asked what my pet peeve is. I'd say it really depends. I didn't prep a decision of theirs I disagreed with but rather made it known I had read many of their decisions and asked questions about some topics they specialize in and what not. You can never be overprepared though! Hope this helps. 

And don't worry if the interview doesn't go well or isn't flowing. It's usually a good indicator that it's not the right fit! 

7 minutes ago, dcivil123 said:

I had 1 interview with the FCA about 2 weeks ago and 3 interviews with the FC in the past 2 weeks and the judges told me that offers for both the FCA and the FC will go out either on the same day or within the same week. You can only get 1 offer from each court, meaning if multiple judges at the FCA or FC like you, the most senior judge from each court will make you an offer. If you refuse, you will not get another offer from that court. They seemed to be saying this will happen the week of March 15 but I've heard of people interviewing well into April and receiving offers in May. I'm assuming if most judges haven't completed their interview process, they'll wait after them to send out offers as its based on seniority. I wouldn't rule out anything just yet, you could very well get more interviews at either court within the next couple of weeks. Hope this helps! 

Yes very much! Thank you :)

1 hour ago, dcivil123 said:

They seemed to be saying this will happen the week of March 15 but I've heard of people interviewing well into April and receiving offers in May.

I was under the impression that SCC, and then all the other CAs will send out offers next Friday but I might be incorrect.

26 minutes ago, Dgrohl said:

I was under the impression that SCC, and then all the other CAs will send out offers next Friday but I might be incorrect.

I was under this impression as well. On a particular day, the SCC makes their call first, and then the other CA go right after.

I didn't know that it would be next Friday though. Thanks for sharing!

I received a call from the TCC this evening with an offer for 2022-2023 clerkship. I will be accepting.

Best of luck to everyone, and I hope to see some of you in 2022!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HarveyRoss369 said:

I received a call from the TCC this evening with an offer for 2022-2023 clerkship. I will be accepting.

Best of luck to everyone, and I hope to see some of you in 2022!

Congrats!What time did you receive the call? Which school do you attend? 

Edited by Eastcoast89

15 hours ago, Eastcoast89 said:

Congrats!What time did you receive the call? Which school do you attend? 

Thanks! I got the call very late in the day on Friday. I suspect most calls will be going out next week. I think yesterday was the last day of interviews. So don't give up hope yet!

I attend law school in the Toronto area, if that helps! I understand that they try to hire one person from each law school across the country. That said, that doesn't end up being the case every year and sometimes some schools get 2 people selected.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 5:49 PM, Dgrohl said:

It’s possible for the FCA but I know the FC is no where near done the process!