HiLawWorld98

Clerkship Interviews 2021

On 1/22/2021 at 3:03 PM, poshspice said:

Trust me, it is hard to wait! But the call/emails will come - and if they don't, it doesn't say anything about you at all. It's a process and, like a lot of things in life, there is some luck involved. :) 

It's my first time trying out for the FC/FCA, any advice on how the interviews go, the kind of candidates the judges are looking for etc.? Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Done123 said:

It's my first time trying out for the FC/FCA, any advice on how the interviews go, the kind of candidates the judges are looking for etc.? Thanks!

Good luck! Judges interview different numbers of people - some interview only a handful while others interview a number of people.

It's quite different depending on the judge, as they are looking for different things (most of all how you would work together because it's a one on one clerkship for the whole year). It's one of those things that does involve some luck, though solid references, grades, and ECs are helpful. Given that those selected for interviews roughly have that, I do think that the interview is a very important part of the process.

One thing that every interview tested big time was French. I had 4 interviews in total (2 at FC, 2 at FCA). One interview was completely in French, while the others were French and English to varying degrees. But that's probably also something that some judges look for more than others. So, don't worry if you don't speak French - I believe that there are unilingual clerks each year! :P 

I wasn't tested on much substantive law, except for in one interview (a case of my own choice). 

An anecdote for you. The morning before my first interview, I was so nervous and intimidated. I got sick to my stomach about 20 minutes before the interview because of the anxiety (in the washroom in the basement of the FCA building - yay, thank goodness I had a mint). I walked into the judge's office and was certain I was going to puke or faint or both. I was totally uptight and they could tell. Not off to a good start. I said to myself, *#$ it! This is over so I might as well just relax and try to enjoy the next 30 minutes!! Ended up getting a call from this judge a few weeks later. SO, no matter how cruddy you feel, don't give up before, during, or after the interview - these things are tough and the competition is real. There are more qualified candidates than there are positions (or even interviews), so just try to be kind of yourself (and, if you can, don't follow in my footsteps of puking right before an interview!)

Edited by poshspice
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nahanni123 said:

Has anyone found out about SCC clerkships yet? 🙂

I think the SCC timeline is typically a couple weeks from now

7 minutes ago, nahanni123 said:

Has anyone found out about SCC clerkships yet? 🙂

Last year, interviews came out Feb. 11 -- hoping for a similar (or earlier) timeline!

Edited by cpsklrz

1 minute ago, patentlyunreasonable said:

What about OCA? Anyone hear? Maybe tomorrow...

Fingers crossed. Tomorrow is the equivalent of when they called last year. But I could see it being Monday/Tuesday instead.

• Like 1

Just now, Notnotadog said:

Just now?

Yeah, literally just a few minutes ago, so I suspect they're doing the calls now.

Just now, SadJaysFan said:

Yeah, literally just a few minutes ago, so I suspect they're doing the calls now.

Thanks! Ahh anxiety

• Like 4

18 hours ago, poshspice said:

Good luck! Judges interview different numbers of people - some interview only a handful while others interview a number of people.

It's quite different depending on the judge, as they are looking for different things (most of all how you would work together because it's a one on one clerkship for the whole year). It's one of those things that does involve some luck, though solid references, grades, and ECs are helpful. Given that those selected for interviews roughly have that, I do think that the interview is a very important part of the process.

One thing that every interview tested big time was French. I had 4 interviews in total (2 at FC, 2 at FCA). One interview was completely in French, while the others were French and English to varying degrees. But that's probably also something that some judges look for more than others. So, don't worry if you don't speak French - I believe that there are unilingual clerks each year! :P 

I wasn't tested on much substantive law, except for in one interview (a case of my own choice). 

An anecdote for you. The morning before my first interview, I was so nervous and intimidated. I got sick to my stomach about 20 minutes before the interview because of the anxiety (in the washroom in the basement of the FCA building - yay, thank goodness I had a mint). I walked into the judge's office and was certain I was going to puke or faint or both. I was totally uptight and they could tell. Not off to a good start. I said to myself, *#$ it! This is over so I might as well just relax and try to enjoy the next 30 minutes!! Ended up getting a call from this judge a few weeks later. SO, no matter how cruddy you feel, don't give up before, during, or after the interview - these things are tough and the competition is real. There are more qualified candidates than there are positions (or even interviews), so just try to be kind of yourself (and, if you can, don't follow in my footsteps of puking right before an interview!)

Thank you so much for your answer! I am quite reassured now for the interviews, I was not really looking forward for them to be all about substantive law (even though I guess that I should be prepared in case the question ever arises) but knowing that it's a pretty "regular" interview process does calm my nerves quite a bit, so thank you! As for the french, I am personally fluent in French (Quebecer here) so I guess that that might be of help for me for the selection process!

Congrats everyone who has heard back! Just wondering if anyone knows - for ONCA interviews, if we were not contacted today does that mean we likely didn't get an interview? Or are they staggered...? Wondering if I should bother holding on to hope for next week 😅