HiLawWorld98

Clerkship Interviews 2021

1 minute ago, whatlikeitshard said:

SAD feels sort of over 🥺 may I ask who?

1 minute ago, poshspice said:

Just now? Which judge?

Not sure it's fair for me to share, since the clerks are identifiable by their judge and they may not want me talking about them. I will say that I know 3 people who have gotten calls and they've all been 5+ mins long... Hoping this means it's a really drawn out process and it's not over yet.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cpsklrz said:

Not sure it's fair for me to share, since the clerks are identifiable by their judge and they may not want me talking about them. I will say that I know 3 people who have gotten calls and they've all been 5+ mins long... Hoping this means it's a really drawn out process and it's not over yet.

That's fair enough. Hopefully, it's just really drawn out... Though it's already been like 2 hours... :S

11 minutes ago, poshspice said:

Well, I don't know that SCC calls are done yet... I think that once those are done, then later today you might hear? I got my FCA call around 5 last year.

re FCA

Dumb question, but what happens if you don't answer the phone? Can you expect a message? or an email? 

Also did the judge call or a clerk? 

1 minute ago, law1235 said:

re FCA

Dumb question, but what happens if you don't answer the phone? Can you expect a message? or an email? 

Not sure, I did answer. :P Tbh I cannot remember. Wishing you best of luck!

3 minutes ago, law1235 said:

re FCA

I missed the FCA call last year and someone in charge of supervising the clerks left a message on my mailbox asking to call back with a phone number. 

For federal courts - can someone elaborate on what the phone call is like? Do you have to accept on the spot?

got an fca call - they offered and i have until tuesday to let them know :) they asked if i had qs but I was too shocked to come up with anything lol.

anyone hear anything from ONCA?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, human009 said:

got an fca call - they offered and i have until tuesday to let them know :) they asked if i had qs but I was too shocked to come up with anything lol.

anyone hear anything from ONCA?

Congrats! Can you share whether the judge was more senior or closer to the bottom of the list?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cpsklrz said:

2 people just got calls from the same judge back-to-back -- not sure what that means for the Court's process.

Justice LeBel gave an interview several years ago (it's on YouTube) about the clerks and he said that the CJC selects all four of his clerks, and then the draft goes down by seniority for the pusine judges and then back up again (so the least senior judge selects last in the first round and first in the second round...and reversed for the most senior pusine judge). I'm assuming that's still the case given what you just said. Hope that helps! 

Edit: not sure how the fact that the committee is hiring for Abella/Moldaver replacements affects this 

Edited by solas

Anybody know how long calls take for ONCA? Is it a one at a time thing, or is it all at once? I.e., should I be giving up hope?

• Like 1

Just got a call from the FC! It’s with a more senior judge so I think that’s why it’s relatively earlier in the cycle! I know the actual selection process goes well into June! 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, law1235 said:

Congrats! Can you share whether the judge was more senior or closer to the bottom of the list?

I would say senior! :)