Bolieve

Ask a 3L - 2020-2021 Edition

Alright, let's do this one last time. With acceptances rolling in soon, I figured now is as good a time as any to post this thread. Feel free to ask any questions that you might have regarding USask or jobs. I can try to answer questions in reference to applications, but it has been a few years since I went through that process. 

• Like 2

How have things been with online classes? Did you find that there was a big difference compared to in person?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, daissy said:

How have things been with online classes? Did you find that there was a big difference compared to in person?

Honestly, I hate it. Profs are trying as best they can, but the social aspect of law school is all but gone. I find it is also much more difficult to motivate myself in online courses. It is a massive difference. 

• Like 1

Has there been any info shared regarding what September, 2021 may look like (i.e. in-person, hybrid, online etc.)? I imagine it's likely too early to tell, but thought you may have heard some chatter within the college. 

8 minutes ago, elliotwoods said:

Has there been any info shared regarding what September, 2021 may look like (i.e. in-person, hybrid, online etc.)? I imagine it's likely too early to tell, but thought you may have heard some chatter within the college. 

We have not heard anything, nor do I think we likely will hear anything until the summer. 

• Like 2

What kind of job opportunities are there for students that want to work outside of Saskatchewan (i.e. Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc)? If it’s common is it only a handful of students that get these opportunities or are they widely available?

Would like to end up in Alberta but want to go to the u of s with my partner.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rob1998 said:

What kind of job opportunities are there for students that want to work outside of Saskatchewan (i.e. Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc)? If it’s common is it only a handful of students that get these opportunities or are they widely available?

Would like to end up in Alberta but want to go to the u of s with my partner.

The opportunities to work in Alberta are definitely there for students that are interested. 

As a second year you can participate in OCIs (On Campus Interviews) where out of province firms (mostly from AB) come to recruit, these would be more widely available for competitive applicants. As a first year you can also apply to AB firms for 1L summers but the positions are more competitive I believe.

As for BC, the general messaging is that you have to put in the work to network and get your foot in the door as there is little to no active recruitment from BC firms at the U of S. Also, BC firms do not hire 1L summer students through any formal recruitment process like in AB or SK.

22 hours ago, lawlawlaw99662 said:

How did you find the general culture at sask? Have you had a fun / enjoyable experience?

Pre-covid shutdown it was great! Lots of awesome and friendly students and the events made it very easy to make friends during first year.

Second year for me has been different, I haven't met anyone new and have not participated in any law related events as they are all over zoom and I haven't had much interest in the events they try to organize. That being said, it seems like some first years have gotten quite close to each other so it must be working for them to some extent!

But in general, I think the culture is awesome and I have had an enjoyable experience at the college (especially when we were attending school and events in person).

• Thanks 1