Itscomplicated

UVic JD/JID 2021

Hi -- just noticed this thread. Did you ever hear back about when they begin accepting applicants? My impression was that it wasn't until later than the first round of JD admissions. 

I received an offer for JID last week and am delighted. Curious if there are others in this forum that have been accepted/are waiting to hear back. 

• Like 2

Sorry just realized you said you were accepted. That is awesome! I spoke to them first of week. Glad they started them! Congratulations! 

• Like 1

I just got the call this morning! Received an acceptance from the JD program in December, but I think the JID program waited until the deadline to start considering applications

• Like 2

Congrats! It was feeling a bit lonely on here with no other posts about JID acceptance so I was excited to read your message :)

• Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 8:47 PM, Itscomplicated said:

Hi. I talked to admissions and they as of last week had not begun  reviews of JD/JID applications. Hope this helps. 

What?? They began accepting people as of late November 2020. For JD at least. Check the accepted thread.

Edited by Mihael

15 hours ago, ghoogle said:

Congrats! It was feeling a bit lonely on here with no other posts about JID acceptance so I was excited to read your message :)

Congratulations to you as well! Not sure yet if I'll be taking the offer, but it's such a unique and exciting program. I'm a non-Indigenous applicant, so it'll be interesting to see what the split of Indigenous/non-Indigenous will be. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mihael said:

They began accepting people as of late November 2020. For JD at least. Check the accepted thread.

In UVic parlance, the phrase "JD/JID" generally means "JID", as opposed to "JD and JID". I am not sure why. Maybe the JID students actually earn both degrees? So this thread is specifically about the JID program, as opposed to both programs.

-GM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrumpyMountie said:

In UVic parlance, the phrase "JD/JID" generally means "JID", as opposed to "JD and JID". I am not sure why. Maybe the JID students actually earn both degrees? So this thread is specifically about the JID program, as opposed to both programs.

-GM

Yes, JD/JID is the short form for UVic's Joint Degree Program in Canadian Common Law (JD) and Indigenous Legal Orders (JID)! JD/JID students receive both degrees after the 4 year program (like McGill's Common Law/Civil Law program). While JD offers were made in November, I don't believe the JD/JID program began accepting applicants until January. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ewith017 said:

Yes, JD/JID is the short form for UVic's Joint Degree Program in Canadian Common Law (JD) and Indigenous Legal Orders (JID)!

Thanks for explaining better than me. The issue is that, in spoken short-form, people just refer to "JD" or "JID", and no one actually refers to the latter as "JD/JID". So next year, when someone asks you "Are you a JD or JID?", don't say "I'm a JD/JID"! ;)

-GM

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GrumpyMountie said:

Oh I see. I had no idea.

@ghoogle @Ewith017 Congratulations to both of you! I am beyond excited for you guys! I wrote the January LSAT so I am still waiting on my score to finalize my application. I took a huge chance this year but really want to get into the program, so will apply for future cycles if it does not work out this time. If you guys are comfortable, could you let me know what GPA and LSAT score you were accepted with + how you think you did on the other application components. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Naj said:

@ghoogle @Ewith017 Congratulations to both of you! I am beyond excited for you guys! I wrote the January LSAT so I am still waiting on my score to finalize my application. I took a huge chance this year but really want to get into the program, so will apply for future cycles if it does not work out this time. If you guys are comfortable, could you let me know what GPA and LSAT score you were accepted with + how you think you did on the other application components. 

No problem - My GPA was 9.97/10 (a 4.0?) on my university's scale, and I got a 170 on the October LSAT. I felt pretty good about my personal statement, although the JID statement was more difficult for me to plan out. Just went for sincerity and tried to communicate my personal values, which I think is important for a program like this one! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ewith017 said:

No problem - My GPA was 9.97/10 (a 4.0?) on my university's scale, and I got a 170 on the October LSAT. I felt pretty good about my personal statement, although the JID statement was more difficult for me to plan out. Just went for sincerity and tried to communicate my personal values, which I think is important for a program like this one! 

Amazing work! Thank you so much. From reading the thread, it seems you have some serious decision making ahead of you. Best of luck on making your final choice! 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 10:48 AM, Naj said:

My stats were 3.9/4.3 GPA and 167 LSAT. I had strong references and extra-curriculars that were very relevant to the program, so I know that helped me too. 

Sending you good vibes for your January LSAT score release!

• Like 1

I was accepted also to the JID program and plan on accepting the offer :) Looking forward to meeting some of you! 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, kwe17 said:

I was accepted also to the JID program and plan on accepting the offer :) Looking forward to meeting some of you! 

Congratulations! Can I ask what your stats were and what category you applied under? 

On 2/19/2021 at 12:11 PM, Naj said:

Congratulations! Can I ask what your stats were and what category you applied under? 

Thanks! I had a relatively low LSAT score (162, 84th percentile) and GPA (3.7), but have been out of school for four years so had a lot of experience and I was pretty happy with my personal statements. Also had strong references from UBC, where I did my undergrad. I was just accepted to UBC/Allard too, so now I'm a little torn on my decision. Still think I'm going to go with the JID program though!