Liavas

The Anxiety on this Forum - 2021 Cycle

4 minutes ago, cherrytree said:

honestly I have nothing constructive to add, I feel like everyone just needs a hug and at least some of the over-anxiousness I've seen from this cycle would be ameliorated if people can still see and hug and be close to their loved ones. I hope this image of a dog snuggling with a hedgehog toy while wrapped in a blanket brings a smile to the face of whoever is reading:

tumblr_p469zrt3rw1sapj62o1_1280.png

I do need a hug, but this is a pretty good second. Thank you @cherrytree!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MountainMon said:

*This turned into a bit of a unhinged rant that I debated not even posting but hopefully it can lend you some perspective on why an otherwise ordinary person (I like to think I am) is currently feeling anxious.*
I am a pretty social person. In different circumstances I’d be distracted by a million other things (travel, work, school, sports... drinking with friends) but currently I’m very much lacking any external stimuli and instead find myself fixating on things I otherwise wouldn’t. I guess this is to say COVID-19 is very much deteriorating my mental state and I bet it is for others as well. It doesn’t help that I had specifically planned this year as my gap-year to fuck around with my friends and travel before settling into a career. I didn’t line up or even try to secure any cool/meaningful post-grad internships or anything plus the economy here in AB is in the gutter anyways so there’s not much I can do right now. Furthermore, I’m paranoid that as a result of COVID-19 I’m going to burn out of law because I missed this opportunity to truly enjoy myself for a year (I’m already seeing it happen to friends in banking). Everyone is constantly going on about how the profession is a lifestyle, one where you cannot, for example, go on hiatus for months at a time. I very much live in fear of future me sitting at a desk aged 35 and wondering “what if I did just travel and work on farms for a year?” I know one cannot be an omniscient planner of their own life trajectory, but it still sucks to see my plans ruined. 
On top of all this I know I come from a place of privilege and sound like a whiney dolt. I have a roof over my head, food to eat, and water to drink while many others in our nation and across the globe are not afforded these securities, even in normal times. Hell, even typing out the above regarding wanting to “truly relax for a year” feels douchey, and I know many others will never have that opportunity (hell, my parents sure as shit didn’t). 
I don’t care to divulge too much on here, but I personally have nothing to wake up for in the morning right now. Since I finished the LSAT I pretty much blink and a week goes by. If I could blink and fast forward 6 months to late August when this pandemic is (hopefully) over and I’ve (again, hopefully) got a law school acceptance in hand, I would. It is an odd feeling living a life devoid of meaning.
This site keeps me updated about the one thing I really have to look forward to: attending law school while simultaneously reminding me about the reality of the legal profession. Together, these two facets of LS.ca definitely inspire some anxiety.

/rant

Hey, don't feel bad. I'm from Alberta too and the economy is in the gutter and I did plan this as my gap year. So guess what, I'm currently sipping cocktails on a beach of the Kenyan coast because I decided I'm not going to let this stop me. I'm going to live my life and do the things I wanted to do this year, regardless of what's happening. I'm going to Senegal next and I'm making my way to Europe before coming home for law school. So don't feel bad for wanting to take a gap year, and just book that one way ticket already. You only have one life. 

• Confused 5

Agreed that Covid plays a huge role.

We’ve lost jobs, we can’t see our family, we can’t see our friends, some of us have kids that we have to explain “the virus” to, we’ve been stuck at home, it’s getting cold, and dark, and grey, and for many of us at this point, law school is a big shining hope for next year. So yeah, the idea of not getting in, during this extra competitive year, can induce some anxiety.

My suggestion to everyone, when you start feeling that tightness in your chest: go for a run, or do some yoga. Focus on your body for a bit to get out of your head. Or bundle up and just take a walk outdoors with a good podcast. 

• Like 6

I was on this forum constantly last year. This year the amount of anxiety seems overwhelming, I try to avoid it entirely! Honestly, if you are going to waste time surfing forums, its more fun to look at reality tv discussions and random youtube content lol or listen to fun podcasts! From someone who has already been through this: stressing will do you absolutely no favours.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

Hey, don't feel bad. I'm from Alberta too and the economy is in the gutter and I did plan this as my gap year. So guess what, I'm currently sipping cocktails on a beach of the Kenyan coast because I decided I'm not going to let this stop me. I'm going to live my life and do the things I wanted to do this year, regardless of what's happening. I'm going to Senegal next and I'm making my way to Europe before coming home for law school. So don't feel bad for wanting to take a gap year, and just book that one way ticket already. You only have one life. 

L.A. Noire "Doubt" / Press X To Doubt | Know Your Meme

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, MountainMon said:

*This turned into a bit of a unhinged rant that I debated not even posting but hopefully it can lend you some perspective on why an otherwise ordinary person (I like to think I am) is currently feeling anxious.*
I am a pretty social person. In different circumstances I’d be distracted by a million other things (travel, work, school, sports... drinking with friends) but currently I’m very much lacking any external stimuli and instead find myself fixating on things I otherwise wouldn’t. I guess this is to say COVID-19 is very much deteriorating my mental state and I bet it is for others as well. It doesn’t help that I had specifically planned this year as my gap-year to fuck around with my friends and travel before settling into a career. I didn’t line up or even try to secure any cool/meaningful post-grad internships or anything plus the economy here in AB is in the gutter anyways so there’s not much I can do right now. Furthermore, I’m paranoid that as a result of COVID-19 I’m going to burn out of law because I missed this opportunity to truly enjoy myself for a year (I’m already seeing it happen to friends in banking). Everyone is constantly going on about how the profession is a lifestyle, one where you cannot, for example, go on hiatus for months at a time. I very much live in fear of future me sitting at a desk aged 35 and wondering “what if I did just travel and work on farms for a year?” I know one cannot be an omniscient planner of their own life trajectory, but it still sucks to see my plans ruined. 
On top of all this I know I come from a place of privilege and sound like a whiney dolt. I have a roof over my head, food to eat, and water to drink while many others in our nation and across the globe are not afforded these securities, even in normal times. Hell, even typing out the above regarding wanting to “truly relax for a year” feels douchey, and I know many others will never have that opportunity (hell, my parents sure as shit didn’t). 
I don’t care to divulge too much on here, but I personally have nothing to wake up for in the morning right now. Since I finished the LSAT I pretty much blink and a week goes by. If I could blink and fast forward 6 months to late August when this pandemic is (hopefully) over and I’ve (again, hopefully) got a law school acceptance in hand, I would. It is an odd feeling living a life devoid of meaning.
This site keeps me updated about the one thing I really have to look forward to: attending law school while simultaneously reminding me about the reality of the legal profession. Together, these two facets of LS.ca definitely inspire some anxiety.

/rant

As much as I stand by what I originally posted about, I understand why the times can make law school seem like something to look forward to when there's not much else. (This is in response to your above post, but also to other people raising similar concerns.) I don't have any good advice, but I hope an offer comes for you, and it becomes something that inspires less worry and is only a good thing to look forward to.

8 hours ago, rebeccamtl said:

My suggestion to everyone, when you start feeling that tightness in your chest: go for a run, or do some yoga.

that's another thing that adds. pre-covid I used to start the day at the gym and it keeps opening and closing here so I haven't really worked out since the end of March. I also haven't really taken to any outdoor or home-exercise routine quite as well, though I try to get my walk in every day, but things are pent up. Additionally and possibly TMI, I broke up with my boyfriend before the pandemic and haven't really dated, so other things are pent up too. I haven't picked up any fun hobbies or done any fun reading either because I spend all my time trying to get the best possible LSAT, so hopefully things will get better in mid January when that's out of the way. I better get a gd 180 on this thing.

Edited by legallybrunette3
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, MountainMon said:

I very much live in fear of future me sitting at a desk aged 35 and wondering “what if I did just travel and work on farms for a year?"

Oh no, I've reached the age 0Ls use when they throw out a number for "old enough to have a midlife crisis"...

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Pantalaimon said:

Oh no, I've reached the age 0Ls use when they throw out a number for "old enough to have a midlife crisis"...

I’m on target for my MLC just as I graduate law school. Sounds about right? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, navyblue11 said:

This, absolutely this. It's not so much that we're just an insanely neurotic cohort as it is that law school admissions are our little ray of hope right now. It's almost like a sign that the pandemic hasn't taken away our entire lives and futures. 

On 12/14/2020 at 1:56 PM, CleanHands said:

The anxiety isn't exclusive to applicants.

I'm reminded now of @Newfoundland's posts. lol

EDIT - I think this is the quintessential example of a @Newfoundland post, for the uninitiated: 

Hermes too. Has to be Hermes otherwise you're fucked

14 hours ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

[...] I'm going to live my life and do the things I wanted to do this year, regardless of what's happening. I'm going to Senegal next and I'm making my way to Europe before coming home for law school. [...]

internet seriously GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

I feel like this almost can't be real. Nevertheless, for my thoughts on whether law school applicants should indulge their need for leisure by serving as disease vectors across Africa and Europe, please find below a video of a husky angrily yowling at its owner from a bathtub:

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

I feel like this almost can't be real. Nevertheless, for my thoughts on whether law school applicants should indulge their need for leisure by serving as disease vectors across Africa and Europe, please find below a video of a husky angrily yowling at its owner from a bathtub:

Just to hammer the point home, Zeus the Stubborn Husky is dead.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CH09Cilgq5U/

• Sad 4

On 12/14/2020 at 3:56 PM, CleanHands said:

The anxiety isn't exclusive to applicants.

I'm reminded now of @Newfoundland's posts. lol

EDIT - I think this is the quintessential example of a @Newfoundland post, for the uninitiated: 

Can only imagine how @Newfoundland would be in this cycle.

For anyone feeling like they're overly stressed or going a little insane on this forum, go check out their post history to see what losing your sanity truly looks like. Dont be that guy. Get off the site if it ever gets that bad. For the sake of yourself and others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1