RJar

Jobs search for 1L?

Hi everyone!

I started to look for possible summer jobs and was wondering what kind of jobs 1L usually have?

I also curious to know if there are any online resources where law related job would be posted?

Does your school have a career services office? Use it. 

Im terms of jobs for 1Ls, a minority have something law related, some even have temporary articles (you’ll have to rely on your network connections for most of these). The vast majority don’t. So, that leaves you with research assistant employment, and the other sorts of jobs a university student might work over the summer (or the sort of work you did before law school, perhaps). 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff

It's totally fine not to have a law-related summer job in 1L. A lot of my friends took summer courses or went back to the jobs they used to do before law school. There are some  1L summer jobs, but they are pretty competitive to get. These include research assistant positions for profs, working for the law school itself, government agency work or admin work at a smaller firm. Some Toronto and Calgary large firms also recruit 1Ls after your Dec grades are released.

2 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

I was an RA and I loved it. 

I was considering this but was curious what professors look for. I'm guessing above average midterm grades? Also do you get paid as a RA?  

1 hour ago, JusticeLordDenning said:

I was considering this but was curious what professors look for. I'm guessing above average midterm grades? Also do you get paid as a RA?  

At UBC they tend to be posted on the school online job board, though a lot of people get RA jobs from profs who approach them directly (this was true for me). If you go the job board route, above-average grades are a factor. If it's through a prof, perhaps less so?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JusticeLordDenning said:

Most RAs are paid. I want to say the rate at my school is around $15.5-$18/hour? Some positions are "casual" meaning you work when an assignment is available and then report your hours. Your prof might put a cap on the hours you can claim per year/semester. During the summer some RAs pay 40 hours/week though. There's also a few RA positions I've seen that aren't paid but I don't think those are real RA positions. I think they're positions in clubs that are calling it RA to attract applications. 

Professors might look for grades but mostly I think they want people who are interested in their area of research. I know people who are at the top of the class who are approached by Profs to RA for them, but I also know students with B averages that RA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Psychometronic said:

At UBC they tend to be posted on the school online job board, though a lot of people get RA jobs from profs who approach them directly (this was true for me). If you go the job board route, above-average grades are a factor. If it's through a prof, perhaps less so?

FWIW I know some people with abysmal grades who have gotten RA positions at Allard. So yeah, really about developing a relationship with the prof.

• Like 1

A good RA position is a valuable way to spend a summer, especially if you have a desire to apply for a clerkship. The prof I worked with only hired his RA each summer due to a class relationship and grades definitely mattered. Not sure what the typical going rate is but he paid me $20/hr and that was 10+ years ago. He also had a couple of his friends who were practitioners send me work as well. Being an RA is an excellent way to develop/improve your research and writing skills.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:10 PM, JusticeLordDenning said:

I had a friend in 1L who I encouraged to just simply ask the professor if they’d considering hiring them at as RA/is such a position was available. The prof ended up wanting to hire him and applied to the school for the position. That’s how they spent their 1L summer, a paid RA position.  

I encouraged this approach based in the fact that my friend had a well established rapport with the prof and has a clear interest in the area of law she studied.  

Edited by LeoandCharlie