cat123

Ready for Review (2021)

A big part of the delay for those of us with lower stats (below 3.7-3.6), is the need for the board to have 3 separate members of the committee review each of these applicants.

That is, someone with a 3.8-3.9+ may only require one members read-through to get accepted, whereas those with sub-3.7 cGPA will require 3 members' approvals.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/4/2021 at 4:22 PM, GMK8998 said:

A big part of the delay for those of us with lower stats (below 3.7-3.6), is the need for the board to have 3 separate members of the committee review each of these applicants.

That is, someone with a 3.8-3.9+ may only require one members read-through to get accepted, whereas those with sub-3.7 cGPA will require 3 members' approvals.  

I think it may be a bit more complicated because I finished my application in October, have a 3.82 with no withdrawals and a full schedule, but I still haven't heard back.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bird123451 said:

I think it may be a bit more complicated because I finished my application in October, have a 3.82 with no withdrawals and a full schedule, but I still haven't heard back.  

I submitted my app early September, and still RFR. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, nocturnalrelativism said:

Do you guys think that our applications haven't been looked at yet or that we've "made it through" past the rejections so far?

I think the latter. It's been a big year for applications to all post-undergrad programs (with pretty much every University saying they've seen a big jump in applicants to programs) so they've had to sort through more apps (and reject more people earlier). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nocturnalrelativism said:

Do you guys think that our applications haven't been looked at yet or that we've "made it through" past the rejections so far?

I'm not sure, but I'd bet on the former being true for those who've taken the Jan LSAT. McGill has said that they sometimes don't have space for these applications (even if they were stellar candidates) simply because they were completed so late. It may be that this is happening to a greater extent during this cycle because of the applicant surplus.

• Like 1

anyone have any insight into the odds of getting in at this point? accepted forum is filling up and there are over 80 people in the facebook group. Should anyone not accepted yet start to give up hope?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bird123451 said:

anyone have any insight into the odds of getting in at this point? accepted forum is filling up and there are over 80 people in the facebook group. Should anyone not accepted yet start to give up hope?

Aren’t they like 190 seats in total to be filled up? If say 80 students are accepted, I strongly feel we shouldn’t give up at this point. There is still hope (100+) 🤞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CheshireJat said:

I'm not sure, but I'd bet on the former being true for those who've taken the Jan LSAT. McGill has said that they sometimes don't have space for these applications (even if they were stellar candidates) simply because they were completed so late. It may be that this is happening to a greater extent during this cycle because of the applicant surplus.

Surplus? Do you know if McGill already published stats for this cycle being surplus? 

3 minutes ago, cat123 said:

Aren’t they like 190 seats in total to be filled up? If say 80 students are accepted, I strongly feel we shouldn’t give up at this point. There is still hope (100+) 🤞

180 seats total. There's like 82 people in the accepted Facebook group already so considering some people don't have facebook or did not join my guess would be closer to 95-100. There is also around 40 spots for CEGEP students and none of them has been accepted yet so there is also that to take in consideration. Nobody can know the number of accepted as of now but that's my best bet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, cat123 said:

Surplus? Do you know if McGill already published stats for this cycle being surplus? 

Nope, just assuming based on what other schools have said. No reason to believe McGill would be different.

9 hours ago, Melo452 said:

180 seats total. There's like 82 people in the accepted Facebook group already so considering some people don't have facebook or did not join my guess would be closer to 95-100. There is also around 40 spots for CEGEP students and none of them has been accepted yet so there is also that to take in consideration. Nobody can know the number of accepted as of now but that's my best bet.

That is still ~40 spots for those of us in the Regular and Mature categories that have not been accepted if one takes the route of optimism. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just some food for thought but McGill has an interactive webpage for their yield rates! For example, in 2020 they received 1,471 applications, offered 240 seats, and as of October 15th, they had 184 students registered! To provide some context, their FB McGill Law - admitted/incoming class of 2020 has 351 members. I’m choosing to ~naively~ remain hopeful/optimistic until i get that letter of rejection💩 

Edited by bballergirl97
Grammar lol
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, bballergirl97 said:

Just some food for thought but McGill has an interactive webpage for their yield rates! For example, in 2020 they received 1,471 applications, offered 240 seats, and as of October 15th, they had 184 students registered! To provide some context, their FB McGill Law - admitted/incoming class of 2020 has 351 members. I’m choosing to ~naively~ remain hopeful/optimistic until i get that letter of rejection💩 

i love u thank u LOL this makes me feel slightly better godspeed

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bballergirl97 said:

This is terrific info! Folks don’t lose hope, remember when the sun goes down, the stars come out 💫

• Like 3

Has anyone seen this? Law school application stats reported by LSAC for Canadian universities during COVID. It looks like applicants are up 17% on average in Eastern Canada as of April. Most Eastern law schools (in On or QC) have seen increases between 10% - 50%.

Its probably not good for any of our mental health to keep posting on here and possessively checking admissions updates, but for those interested, this (and a few other links I've seen on this site) is probably enough to calculate a pretty decent probability estimate of getting in at this point.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CheshireJat said:

Has anyone seen this? Law school application stats reported by LSAC for Canadian universities during COVID. It looks like applicants are up 17% on average in Eastern Canada as of April. Most Eastern law schools (in On or QC) have seen increases between 10% - 50%.

Its probably not good for any of our mental health to keep posting on here and possessively checking admissions updates, but for those interested, this (and a few other links I've seen on this site) is probably enough to calculate a pretty decent probability estimate of getting in at this point.

Have not seen this, thanks for sharing! 😊 

I guess it’s a question of perspective. I personally find comfort in sharing this unique suspense-filled journey with you all, and there’s always new things to learn. Nice to have others to relate to haha 

I will keep sticking to no news so far is good news 👍 #RFR

• Like 9