cat123

Ready for Review (2021)

@LolaPillon

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to be freaking out

we're still at the early stages

edit:

"I did not receive an email from them yet and I wrote the LSAT"

you do have your LSAT score listed as being received in minerva though, right? other than the usual deadline/document related emails, there weren't any to do with the LSAT specifically

Edited by lolschool
  • Like 2

I'd also just like to point out (as lolschool says) it's insanely way too soon to panic and stress about this. People get accepted or put on the waitlist all the way into August. As long as you haven't been rejected yet don't freak out! No answer is better than rejection and leaves room for hope that you may get in eventually. Relax and good luck everyone!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, LolaPillon said:

Reading the thread, I am honestly starting to freak out because I did not receive an email from them yet and I wrote the LSAT. But my score was pretty bad. My GPA is really borderline but I have an amazing personal statement, resume and letters of reference. So to everyone on the thread that are stressed, I hope this makes you feel better, because I am sure your stats are way better than mine !

I am thinking maybe I should start applying elsewhere? Because I only applied to McGill. I just can’t afford to pay for another application right now (COVID ruined everything) . So it will feel great to know if I am already rejected (or not). Do you guys think I should send them an email inquiring an update on my application? Should I wait? Is there even still hope ?😂

I like your idea to email & seek an update. At least, you would have an update instead of us speculating? I’m mature category & usually admissions review last on these :( Hang in there! 

• Like 2

Please don't email the admissions office freaking out or asking for an update on your file. The best answer they'll be able to give is the same as what everyone else is saying, "be patient". All an email does is increase the administrative burdens of the admissions officers. Unless you have a substantial concern about something in your application not having been received, or you need to clarify an aspect of your admissions file, it is best to not send unnecessary emails. They will contact you if they need something, and/or when a decision on your file is made. Until then, sit back, and like others have said, so long as you have not received a rejection, you're still being considered, so chin up. Plus, as others have said, it is well too early to be freaking out. I would venture a guess that only about 30% (if that) of the spots in next year's class have been filled by offers, and it is quite likely a few of those who have been admitted will be declining their offers. I recall in the year I was admitted, the Faculty had sent an email to all those who had been admitted around January 20th (they cc'd us instead of bcc'ing us by accident), and as of that day, there were only about 80 or so admits. I know people who were admitted to the Faculty in December and others who were admitted in August. So, it may still be a while, or you may be admitted tomorrow. Either way, I'll reiterate that I think its best to just be patient and not send unnecessary emails.

Good luck to all of those waiting for a response. 

Edited by CommeCiCommeCa
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Thank you thank you guys so much for your advice and support 🥺 that makes me feel reassured ! The waiting game is the worst haha

Edited by LolaPillon

Has anyone noticed that only few people actually posted in accepted 2021? I saw some people asking which school to go to McGill vs x on this forum, claiming they’ve been accepted to both but they never replied in accepted topic in either school. Obviously it’s their choice to share the stats or not but all I’m questioning is- did McGill accept a lot of people already and not a ton know about this forum/chose not to post the stats or did McGill accept just a bit and there’s still ton of room so we can continue hoping we get in😂. I think someone said by feb welcome day they usually have about 80 spots filled out of what.. 190? And 40 spots are dedicated to cegep.. just trying to do some sort of probability stats on when to expect to hear from them with my stats. I gotta move soon and trying to choose the neighborhood where to move to - island or off island and I would love if McGill was to tell me yay or nay so I can go all rural for cheaper mortgage, if it’s a nay 😂

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, polilegal said:

Has anyone noticed that only few people actually posted in accepted 2021? I saw some people asking which school to go to McGill vs x on this forum, claiming they’ve been accepted to both but they never replied in accepted topic in either school. Obviously it’s their choice to share the stats or not but all I’m questioning is- did McGill accept a lot of people already and not a ton know about this forum/chose not to post the stats or did McGill accept just a bit and there’s still ton of room so we can continue hoping we get in😂. I think someone said by feb welcome day they usually have about 80 spots filled out of what.. 190? And 40 spots are dedicated to cegep.. just trying to do some sort of probability stats on when to expect to hear from them with my stats. I gotta move soon and trying to choose the neighborhood where to move to - island or off island and I would love if McGill was to tell me yay or nay so I can go all rural for cheaper mortgage, if it’s a nay 😂

Yeah I've definitely noticed a serious lack of posts in the Acceptance 2021 thread, especially compared to previous years.. I wonder if the admissions process is lagging because of the pandemic, or maybe people aren't as active on the thread?

I'm hoping for the former lol 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, polilegal said:

Agreed! Although one thing notable, there are a few acceptance posts, but not all accepted applicants would be on this forum. Looks like only one applicant without LSAT is approved this year (at least on this forum). However, when I look across the board most other law schools are as well on the same boat (offers in waves). Certainly, in comparison to previous years this year not much action on accepted thread. I really hope we hear something soon! 

• Like 5

Hello, I am an international student applying to mcgill's bcl/jd program, my GPA is 3.81~ , my status still says RFR, will there be any chance? and how often does the faculty accept international students (taking into account that they hadn’t written the LSAT)

2 hours ago, 12joshua99 said:

Hello, I am an international student applying to mcgill's bcl/jd program, my GPA is 3.81~ , my status still says RFR, will there be any chance? and how often does the faculty accept international students (taking into account that they hadn’t written the LSAT)

Hi!

Your GPA is competitive, and it does not matter that you did not take the LSAT. So long as your french skills are clearly stated in your application or you do well on a french interview if it's needed (and assuming your extracurriculars, personal statement and references are good) you have a good chance. 

Based on previous years, majority of acceptances go out between now and end of February for regular applicants, meaning many of us are still in RFR, and most likely will be for a while. 

Hope this helps :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, m141312 said:

Hi!

Your GPA is competitive, and it does not matter that you did not take the LSAT. So long as your french skills are clearly stated in your application or you do well on a french interview if it's needed (and assuming your extracurriculars, personal statement and references are good) you have a good chance. 

Based on previous years, majority of acceptances go out between now and end of February for regular applicants, meaning many of us are still in RFR, and most likely will be for a while. 

Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much! I study law in french, but I still doubt myself getting in as there are a lot of competitive students applying, and the effect of the pandemic on the number of applications is also a matter. But fingers crossed for everyone of us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 12joshua99 said:

Thank you so much! I study law in french, but I still doubt myself getting in as there are a lot of competitive students applying, and the effect of the pandemic on the number of applications is also a matter. But fingers crossed for everyone of us. 

Also I am an Advanced Standing applicant, so idk if this is a good or bad thing.

1 hour ago, 12joshua99 said:

Also I am an Advanced Standing applicant, so idk if this is a good or bad thing.

So you’re transferring? If you’re transferring then they accept a handful of people a year. Closure to summer, I believe someone said. 

2 hours ago, polilegal said:

So you’re transferring? If you’re transferring then they accept a handful of people a year. Closure to summer, I believe someone said. 

It's not really transferring, because what the category stands for is that I will have completed my bachelor degree in law by the time I start McGill's law program if ever I get accepted, so i don't really know if that's transferring in Canadian law schools.

Edited by 12joshua99

Any one else a little confused after seeing some post rejections this early? I feel like rejections (from past years) didn't start going out till much later?? 

17 minutes ago, m141312 said:

Any one else a little confused after seeing some post rejections this early? I feel like rejections (from past years) didn't start going out till much later?? 

yea, I wonder if they just skipped bunch of us :D lol of course not.. but they forgot to update my Minerva when they asked me to upload some documents back in December so I'm thinking there could be room for error. At least, we will get email notification as well besides the Minerva update - right? We get a personal email from them, it's not automated?

Edited by polilegal

2 minutes ago, polilegal said:

yea, I wonder if they just skipped bunch of us :D lol of course not.. but they forgot to update my Minerva when they asked me to upload some documents back in December so I'm thinking there's room for error. At least, we will get email notification as well besides the Minerva update - right? We get a personal email from them, it's not automated?

When you get accepted you receive an email and Minerva gets updated. When you get rejected, I think (depending on the reason for being rejected) your email and letter is tailored accordingly and your Minerva status changes. 

But I've seen some say their letters felt generic when they were rejected, so I'm not entirely sure..

1 minute ago, m141312 said:

When you get accepted you receive an email and Minerva gets updated. When you get rejected, I think (depending on the reason for being rejected) your email and letter is tailored accordingly and your Minerva status changes. 

But I've seen some say their letters felt generic when they were rejected, so I'm not entirely sure..

so acceptance letter is also generic, automated? 

Just now, polilegal said:

so acceptance letter is also generic, automated? 

Not certain about that, I haven't seen many talk about the contents of their acceptance letters, only rejection letters 😕 

• Thanks 1

in pervious years were rejections sent out this early? seems like a lot of rejections and not a lot of acceptances 

• Sad 1