hockeydad

Question regarding “last two years” calculation

On Western’s website it states that: 

“We define your last 2 years of university as your last 20 semestered courses for which you were assigned grades... However, courses for which you received a Pass or Credit are not included, and we will not break up semesters. This means that if you did not take 5 courses per semester in your last 4 semesters of university, your “Last 2” may include academic terms that precede your third year of study (depending on your timeline and whether you were full- or part-time)...”

Currently I am in my fourth year and have applied to Western. In my second year I took 5 courses in the fall, 4 in the winter, and 1 in the summer. Additionally, I did the same thing in my third year. In these two years, in the semesters that I took 4 courses, I achieved all A’s and A+‘s; however, given the information that I have included above, I am now worried that these grades won’t be counted in my “last two years.” 

Is this the case?

Edited by hockeydad

They take your last 20 semestered courses regardless... so the amount of courses you took during each term doesnt matter for Western, I had a similar concern. 

You should be fine

11 minutes ago, lawnerd2 said:

They take your last 20 semestered courses regardless... so the amount of courses you took during each term doesnt matter for Western, I had a similar concern. 

You should be fine

Awesome, one more stupid question for you. When they say “your last 20 semestered courses” how do they arrive at what the last 20 are ...? I know this sounds incredibly dumb but humour me for a second.

I understand that a course that I took in the winter semester of my third year is more ‘recent’ than a course that took in the fall semester of my first year, but how does Western decide what courses are ‘more recent’ or ‘later’ than others within the same semester?

To get to 20 courses Western will have to take one from the Winter semester of my first year but they could take one where I got a C or one where I got an A — I got the marks in the same semester so how can one be ‘later’ than another?

I apologize if this question is asinine. 

• Like 1

I am 99% sure they go with the highest one in that case. 

No worries, I am on the same boat..:) 

11 hours ago, hockeydad said:

Awesome, one more stupid question for you. When they say “your last 20 semestered courses” how do they arrive at what the last 20 are ...? I know this sounds incredibly dumb but humour me for a second.

I understand that a course that I took in the winter semester of my third year is more ‘recent’ than a course that took in the fall semester of my first year, but how does Western decide what courses are ‘more recent’ or ‘later’ than others within the same semester?

To get to 20 courses Western will have to take one from the Winter semester of my first year but they could take one where I got a C or one where I got an A — I got the marks in the same semester so how can one be ‘later’ than another?

I apologize if this question is asinine. 

I think they consider the whole semester in that case. Im in a similar boat to you since i didn't take full semesters and my l2 now dips into my 2nd semester of my 2nd year which was hot garbage besides one or two courses. Hoping my last semester this fall replaces that old semester. Either way from what you quoted I think they will consider the entire semester.

We define your last 2 years of university as your last 20 semestered courses for which you were assigned grades.  (One year-long course counts as 2 semestered courses.)  Summer terms are included.  However, courses for which you received a Pass or Credit are not included, and we will not break up semesters.

• Like 1

If you have full year, 6 credit courses in your last 20 courses, do they count those as 2/20? I know that sounds dumb but I feel like there are a bunch of different ways to calculate "Last 20" when you factor in full time vs spring, 6 credit vs 3, broken semesters etc

Okay sorry so just to clarify, if you did not take full semesters it does not matter but they will just dip into previous terms? I did not take full course loads since I spread mine out throughout the summer term. What would happen in this case?