emfran

Does OLSAS calculate B2/L2?

For schools that look at B2/L2 is that number calculated by OLSAS or by the schools themselves?

If you click Academic Background and view your transcript from your school you should be able to see the GPA achieved within each year of your undergrad. 

And so I just added the last two years and divided by 2 to get the average lol. 

• Like 1

That is what i did too ^ 

But if you have an uneven number of classes in each year then u have to divide btwn the number of courses

Edited by culitigator
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, culitigator said:

That is what i did too ^ 

But if you have an uneven number of classes in each year then u have to divide btwn the number of courses

Is there any schools that specifies this way of calculating l2/b2? All I see is specifications around full course loads, which I believe are outlined from OLSAS. But I don't see where it talks about comparing years on the basis of exact number of courses

• Like 3

Hijacking this post to ask— anyone know how you calculate those two GPAS in my very weird situation? I completed my four year degree in 3 years, and my third year had a study abroad semester, so I have: Y1 F, Y2 F, Y2/3 S, and Y3 H. I don’t know if that summer & half load year get combined into one year? Do my half year and my summer classes get thrown away and only my first two years will count for these calculations? I know UofT does GPA by B3 and I can’t even figure out if they’ll have 3 years to calculate for me or if they’ll just use my CGPA (looked at their site and couldn’t find any clarity on my situation). Questions like this are why I wish OLSAS offered the calculations for us lol

1 hour ago, yorkshire said:

Hijacking this post to ask— anyone know how you calculate those two GPAS in my very weird situation? I completed my four year degree in 3 years, and my third year had a study abroad semester, so I have: Y1 F, Y2 F, Y2/3 S, and Y3 H. I don’t know if that summer & half load year get combined into one year? Do my half year and my summer classes get thrown away and only my first two years will count for these calculations? I know UofT does GPA by B3 and I can’t even figure out if they’ll have 3 years to calculate for me or if they’ll just use my CGPA (looked at their site and couldn’t find any clarity on my situation). Questions like this are why I wish OLSAS offered the calculations for us lol

I feel like that is a very unique situation so I'd email the schools to ask! 

1 hour ago, 76th said:

Is there any schools that specifies this way of calculating l2/b2? All I see is specifications around full course loads, which I believe are outlined from OLSAS. But I don't see where it talks about comparing years on the basis of exact number of courses

Ya so I thought that as well but a couple months ago when I asked if this was true, a few of the long time lurkers on this website told me that they do it by number of courses. Which (and I hate to say it bc this method lowers my gpa lol) I guess makes sense bc a 4.0 gpa w 5 courses each term vs a 4.0 gpa w 4 courses per term isn't really the same thing u know? But like I said, I got this info from a couple other posters so maybe someone with more knowledge could give some input!

Edited by culitigator

32 minutes ago, culitigator said:

I feel like that is a very unique situation so I'd email the schools to ask! 

Ya so I thought that as well but a couple months ago when I asked if this was true, a few of the long time lurkers on this website told me that they do it by number of courses. Which (and I hate to say it bc this method lowers my gpa lol) I guess makes sense bc a 4.0 gpa w 5 courses each term vs a 4.0 gpa w 4 courses per term isn't really the same thing u know? But like I said, I got this info from a couple other posters so maybe someone with more knowledge could give some input!

It depends on the school. Queen’s for example doesn’t take summer classes, counts each year as a whole (ie doesnt split up semesters), and only requires that you take at least 8 classes in fall/winter semesters for it to be considered a full load and count as one of youe B2 years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MountainMon said:

It depends on the school. Queen’s for example doesn’t take summer classes, counts each year as a whole (ie doesnt split up semesters), and only requires that you take at least 8 classes in fall/winter semesters for it to be considered a full load and count as one of youe B2 years.

I read the same thing from Queens site - and I hope this is true because like @culitigator , one of my b2 would drop slightly because the semester, despite it being considered full course load, had 1 or 2 less courses than my other best year - if calculated the way culigator described.

1 hour ago, 76th said:

I read the same thing from Queens site - and I hope this is true because like @culitigator , one of my b2 would drop slightly because the semester, despite it being considered full course load, had 1 or 2 less courses than my other best year - if calculated the way culigator described.

1 hour ago, MountainMon said:

I don't disagree that queens considers 4 classes a full load, but I am not sure that implies that they will just divide the last two years' gpa by two even if u have a different number of classes each year

Edited by culitigator

52 minutes ago, tiptoemaster said:

if you took post-grad studies, do they calculate it together as your total gpa?

No.

Post-grad grades are essentially a soft.

3 hours ago, culitigator said:

I don't disagree that queens considers 4 classes a full load, but I am not sure that implies that they will just divide the last two years' gpa by two even if u have a different number of classes each year

I misunderstood the question you had originally posed, carry on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Policywonk said:

No.

Post-grad grades are essentially a soft.

I'm wondering because my transcripts had down 3.26 but when I go into document tracking it has me down for 3.39, is that just the conversion?

13 hours ago, MountainMon said:

Queen's would have to take summer classes if you had a full summer course load though, right? I did co-op where I worked in the winter and then had a full course load in the summer. 

Editing to say: by full course load I mean 5 courses. This was my best semester so I am very concerned lol!

Edited by careerswitcher

2 minutes ago, careerswitcher said:

Queen's would have to take summer classes if you had a full summer course load though, right? I did co-op where I worked in the winter and then had a full course load in the summer. 

Nope. I took coop as well and asked about this, they literally will not include summer courses in your B2. If you don't have a B2 beacuse of coop (like me) they use your CGPA instead. 

2 minutes ago, SadNWO said:

Nope. I took coop as well and asked about this, they literally will not include summer courses in your B2. If you don't have a B2 beacuse of coop (like me) they use your CGPA instead. 

Lol well that sucks. 

6 minutes ago, careerswitcher said:

Lol well that sucks. 

If it makes you feel any better they compare your CGPA against other students CGPA. They aren't comparing it to other people's B2. 

Still a huge disadvantage for me personally, but what can you do?

The annoying thing is they acknowledge this is an issue and have even said they are working on fixing it.

26 minutes ago, SadNWO said:

If it makes you feel any better they compare your CGPA against other students CGPA. They aren't comparing it to other people's B2. 

Still a huge disadvantage for me personally, but what can you do?

The annoying thing is they acknowledge this is an issue and have even said they are working on fixing it.

Yeah definitely frustrating! Hopefully they sort that out for future years. 

2 hours ago, careerswitcher said:

Editing to say: by full course load I mean 5 courses. This was my best semester so I am very concerned lol!

No, I don’t believe so. You’lo have to double check with them though.