optimistic

OLSAS GPAs are up (again)!

1 minute ago, samii said:

I'm a bit confused at what all the letters mean in the OLSAS GPA section...Can someone explain what these mean? 

2017 F

2017 S

2018 F

...and so on?

Additionally, I started uni in 2016, so I'm not sure why it only shows 2017 and onwards. Do they only look at when your academic year ends?

I think summer is S... all my summer courses showed up as S. So maybe F is fall or full-time courses - basically regular ones during the year but not 100% sure.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, samii said:

I'm a bit confused at what all the letters mean in the OLSAS GPA section...Can someone explain what these mean? 

2017 F

2017 S

2018 F

...and so on?

Additionally, I started uni in 2016, so I'm not sure why it only shows 2017 and onwards. Do they only look at when your academic year ends?

1. F = full weight given
S = summer term

if you see "H" that means half weight

2. If you started in Sept 2016, that year (at least for me) is considered the 2017 school year. So for example, term 1 was 2017F (fall) and term 2 was 2017W (winter). 

Edited by castlepie
  • Thanks 1

Just now, castlepie said:

1. F = full weight given
S = summer term

2. If you started in Sept 2016, that year (at least for me) is considered the 2017 school year. So for example, term 1 was 2017F (fall) and term 2 was 2017W (winter)

So I'm assuming to calculate B2/L2, I would just take [the last] two of the F years? Thank you so much!

Mine has now appeared in the last 5 minutes! Question, does anyone know if the schools that look at L2 include summer courses in that? My L2 is 3.8 if the courses I took in summer 2019 aren't counted, but 3.6 if they are... so really hoping they're not lol. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, samii said:

2017 F

2017 S

2018 F

...and so on?

I think S means summer term but not 100% sure!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kshbr54 said:

Mine has now appeared in the last 5 minutes! Question, does anyone know if the schools that look at L2 include summer courses in that? My L2 is 3.8 if the courses I took in summer 2019 aren't counted, but 3.6 if they are... so really hoping they're not lol. 

Some schools count it, some don't, gotta check each one's website

• Like 1

I can see mine and its 0.01 higher than the conversion tool I used! I'll take anything I can get lol!! Goodluck everyone

• Like 1

The previous OLSAS gpa discussion has now been closed, since this one did not continue there as we had requested and there are too many replies to close this one. Please keep any further discussion on this topic in this thread only. More than one thread on the same topic doesn't prove to be helpful. Thanks.

So applying from the U.S. and my cGPA is .14 lower than what I though I would be applying with. Even applying in the access categories I'm scared I wont be competitive after all

Can someone explain to my why the OLSAS GPA is lower than a normal GPA scale?? I have an 83% in my last two years for example and it comes up as a 3.6 and not a 3.7... I haven't been able to find an answer to this question. Maybe I'm missing something! 

Thanks!!!! 

I said this in another thread that was closed down (sorry Admin!!! My bad) but holy man the OLSAS gpa is a kick in the gut!! Cgpa is 3.06 / B2 3.4 ... event with my access claim I doubt any LSAT score will suffice fro the schools I applied to.. (TRU, UBC, UVic, Lakehead, Queens, Ottawa)

Rough day for me folks lol

1 hour ago, garbicll said:

Can someone explain to my why the OLSAS GPA is lower than a normal GPA scale?? I have an 83% in my last two years for example and it comes up as a 3.6 and not a 3.7... I haven't been able to find an answer to this question. Maybe I'm missing something! 

Thanks!!!! 

If you look at the conversion chart here you can see how it tries to equalize differences in grading across all the schools: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-conversion-table/. I definitely feel you because my GPA goes from 3.83 on my transcript to 3.75 on OLSAS. It's because my school (UofT) counts 85-89 as a 3.9-4.0, whereas OLSAS counts that as a 3.7. Someone from the UofT admissions office described it like they take a grade ie A- and then make it so that an A- is the same thing at every school, and because every school grades slightly differently, that takes some adjustment. For some schools it entails a decrease and others an increase. 

Edited by kshbr54
Remembered something else I wanted to add lol

on another note, the conversion calculator recommended on this sub is REALLY accurate

Edited by znass

Just wanted to vent my frustration with the way OLSAS is handling my GPA calculation. For context, I took several diploma/certificate courses prior to starting my BA. As they weren't university undergraduate courses, none of them were counted as transfer credit towards my degree. I also didn't do very well in those courses as I wasn't planning on furthering my education at the time. But for some reason, OLSAS calculated those courses along with all of my BA courses! This brings my GPA down significantly. Under "Academic Background" both transcripts were evaluated separately, with my undergraduate cGPA as a 3.70 and the GPA from the diploma courses as 3.10. That part is fine, but the thing I was worried about was that under "Document Tracking", OLSAS calculated those diploma courses into my Overall GPA, which is listed as a 3.57 under "Document Tracking"! 😩😤🤬

I emailed every single school and each of them replied confirming that diploma courses are excluded from GPA calculations as they are not undergraduate courses (one even said that it was very unusual that OLSAS calculated diploma courses along with undergraduate GPA), but every time I send a message through SAM telling them this, I keep getting the same damn response that the course inclusions are correct and that the diploma courses I took are considered university undergraduate courses?? Like what the hell, I know that the courses I took were NOT university courses and they weren't even eligible for any credit, so why are they telling me that they ARE university courses? Admissions from the schools I emailed also told me to send in a supplementary document to them directly via SAM explaining my situation so that my file will be evaluated correctly, so that took a bunch of stress off me.

In any case, I am still so infuriated, it even says on the OLSAS FAQ page that "Diploma and certificate programs are not usually included." So why did they include those courses into my Overall GPA? I'm so lucky that my transcripts were evaluated separately and that anyone looking can clearly see discrepancy in GPA between those diploma courses and my actual degree, but still. I'm mad.