Sign in to follow this  
morningcoffee

Midterm Stress

Hi guys.

Okay so I wrote my first exam and I can't stop thinking about the "what if"s. I feel like other classmates are a lot smarter than me and, because we're in a B curve, I know have to outperform most, and don't feel like I have. The midterms worth about 30% I think, and I know it's not the end of the world (right?), but the stress and anxiety is killing me to a point where I can't seem to focus on my next exams. I don't know if I need some sort of assurance or cold hard truth, but I just needed to vent the stress somewhere. Basically, I'm just a stressed 1L hoping that one bad 30% exam should be recoverable next term. 

Is the 30% a "fail safe" or fixed grade (regardless of whether you perform better/worse in April)?

I won't belabour the point, but winter 1L exams kick the ass of most students. They're intended to introduce to writing law school exams, and their weight reflects that accordingly. You're not the only one freaking out, I guarantee you that, but there's nothing you can do about the exam you just wrote. There's nothing you can do to change anything you've done in the past. 

If you made notable or identifiable errors, don't repeat them. You have no time to sit and be upset by how you just performed; your job is to perform your best on the next exam. The next two weeks (or less) are about endurance and intense focus. 

Good luck!

Note: Because winter exams tend to hurt the egos of most students, second semester tends to be a time of renewed focus and drive. That curved C may very well turn into a B+/A- in April if you effectively learn from your errors and implement change after the first go-around. So no, even a miserable performance is not "the end of your law school/legal career; I'm living proof of that.

• Like 1

Phaedrus made good points. Listen to them. I’d also add that the students you think are smarter than you are probably just as nervous, probably think other students are smarter than they are, and are largely in the same boat as you. 

Good luck on the rest of your exams!

Edited by TobyFlenderson

On 12/9/2020 at 3:59 AM, TobyFlenderson said:

Phaedrus made good points. Listen to them. I’d also add that the students you think are smarter than you are probably just as nervous, probably think other students are smarter than they are, and are largely in the same boat as you. 

Good luck on the rest of your exams!

Thanks! I think I was just a bit let down. I know it's on a curve and subjective, but yea just needed to vent. 

Hopefully, I'll come back with some better news at the end of 1L  :)