Jump to content
daniellemree

Coming to terms with the fact stats probably aren't competitive

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any tips for getting over the desolation that comes along with realizing your stats aren't going to be competitive? I have a 3.75 GPA and a 158 LSAT. Last year I was waitlisted at the one school I applied to and then did not end up getting in. This year I've applied to the U of A, U of C, TRU, Dal and UNB and, honestly after seeing this years applicant pool, am feeling way out of my depths.

I'm a bit of a non-trad applicant, came from significant adversity and currently work as a social worker. I don't think that part of my application, though, is necessarily even going to be considered if I don't get past the initial screening round. I should also mention that I did not apply under any special consideration labels- just didn't feel appropriate for me or my circumstance. I could write the LSAT again (would be my third write), but am having a hard time pulling myself out of this funk and the defeatism has set in. Anyone feeling the same away and either have tips for how to move past it or wants to commiserate together? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your stats seem competitive for TRU! 

I felt the same way when I applied to law school. My stats felt borderline, got waitlisted by a few schools. I found the best way for me to deal was to focus on what needed my attention RIGHT NOW. 

Whether you get in or not is out of your hands and it's not helpful or constructive to think about it. There's more to your life than law school applications, so put your time and energy in to those things. 

Log out of lawstudents.ca until you've heard back from all the schools you've applied to. Checking this site and trying to compare yourself to other posters is (a) not helpful because only a small sample of all accepted students post here and (b) only going to make you feel worse. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Log out of lawstudents.ca until you've heard back from all the schools you've applied to. Checking this site and trying to compare yourself to other posters is (a) not helpful because only a small sample of all accepted students post here and (b) only going to make you feel worse. 

Could not agree with this more. Your stats are likely competitive, you're just currently experiencing the funhouse mirror effect that comes with comparing yourself to others too much and spending too much time on the forums.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Your stats seem competitive for TRU! 

I felt the same way when I applied to law school. My stats felt borderline, got waitlisted by a few schools. I found the best way for me to deal was to focus on what needed my attention RIGHT NOW. 

Whether you get in or not is out of your hands and it's not helpful or constructive to think about it. There's more to your life than law school applications, so put your time and energy in to those things. 

Log out of lawstudents.ca until you've heard back from all the schools you've applied to. Checking this site and trying to compare yourself to other posters is (a) not helpful because only a small sample of all accepted students post here and (b) only going to make you feel worse. 

You're so right. I must sound like such a big baby! I've gotten caught up in the toxic comparison culture that surrounds application season but you're right. In the grand scheme of things, this doesn't matter. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me, I needed the reality check haha.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, daniellemree said:

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any tips for getting over the desolation that comes along with realizing your stats aren't going to be competitive? I have a 3.75 GPA and a 158 LSAT. Last year I was waitlisted at the one school I applied to and then did not end up getting in. This year I've applied to the U of A, U of C, TRU, Dal and UNB and, honestly after seeing this years applicant pool, am feeling way out of my depths.

I'm a bit of a non-trad applicant, came from significant adversity and currently work as a social worker. I don't think that part of my application, though, is necessarily even going to be considered if I don't get past the initial screening round. I should also mention that I did not apply under any special consideration labels- just didn't feel appropriate for me or my circumstance. I could write the LSAT again (would be my third write), but am having a hard time pulling myself out of this funk and the defeatism has set in. Anyone feeling the same away and either have tips for how to move past it or wants to commiserate together? 

Your stats aren’t bad at all. I would wager that you’ll get into at least one of these places, if not more. It’s a stressful process, but try to relax! You’re between the hard parts now, try and take it easy while you can. Soon enough you’ll be grinding out case briefs with the rest of us. 👍🏽

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have ties to the Maritimes?  I feel that with your stats, you should at least have a shot at UNB or DAL, especially if you have a connection.  If you are in your last year of undergrad, it may be better to try and keep/improve upon your GPA for L2  schools than spend your efforts on a couple of points increase on the LSAT, especially for those that are 60% GPA and 40% LSAT.  I guess it comes down to where your efforts are going to see the most return.  If you are PT'ing a lot higher than your current score then it might be worth a shot, but you would have to see the return on investment come test day. I honestly can't speak to schools out west because I didn't apply there.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, legallybrunette3 said:

I feel your pain. I've put so much into this process, the thought of it all being for nothing gives me intense stress. 

I was feeling like this until very recently. 
 

I’m not sure how this came about exactly, but I came to terms with my application. I put everything I could into it, as I’m sure you did, and that’s all that we can ask of ourselves.

If it gives you any solace, I don’t think your (or OPs) efforts are in vain. Future cycles won’t be as competitive, you already have a handle on the LSAT if you need to retake, and you can always continue to improve your CV and try again if need be. 
 

Moreover, I think there’s something to be said about how this process demonstrates to yourself just how hard you can work when you set your mind to it. You learn to dig deeper, and that mentality can be applied in other domains.

Anyway I hope this helps. If you-or anyone feeling this way-wants to discuss/needs to vent, then feel free to send me a message. 

Edited by Seekingredemption
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, legallybrunette3 said:

I feel your pain. I've put so much into this process, the thought of it all being for nothing gives me intense stress. 

This is exactly how I have been feeling! I am a bit worried that I have not put enough thought into a good backup plan...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, daniellemree said:

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any tips for getting over the desolation that comes along with realizing your stats aren't going to be competitive? I have a 3.75 GPA and a 158 LSAT. Last year I was waitlisted at the one school I applied to and then did not end up getting in. This year I've applied to the U of A, U of C, TRU, Dal and UNB and, honestly after seeing this years applicant pool, am feeling way out of my depths.

I'm a bit of a non-trad applicant, came from significant adversity and currently work as a social worker. I don't think that part of my application, though, is necessarily even going to be considered if I don't get past the initial screening round. I should also mention that I did not apply under any special consideration labels- just didn't feel appropriate for me or my circumstance. I could write the LSAT again (would be my third write), but am having a hard time pulling myself out of this funk and the defeatism has set in. Anyone feeling the same away and either have tips for how to move past it or wants to commiserate together? 

you're also probably competitive at UNB as well, especially since they drop some of your worst grades and prioritize GPA over LSAT

Edited by Frazer99
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, hopefullawstudent123 said:

This is exactly how I have been feeling! I am a bit worried that I have not put enough thought into a good backup plan...

My backup plan is to start a petition for every school that rejected me to refund my application fee 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey OP,

 

Similar background (albeit counsellor with adversity ;)) and stats to you and I completely agree with other people... It is a very difficult process and straining at the best of times and more so with the year we have had. Try and log off of this forum for a bit because it can cause a bit of imposter effect sometimes when you and I and many others see the Chance me: 4.0 GPA 180 LSAT threads :). Don't worry about what you can't control right now because there is a lot that you can still do in the meantime. 

Also, like what @Seekingredemption said you have put in work to get here and that is not all in vain. You have done well to A: Earn a degree with a great GPA  and B: a good LSAT score to boot that you can improve on if you decide to later. You have put in hours to this whole process and, although you may feel disheartened, you have put your heart and soul into it so far and that is a lesson in itself. 

 

Another thing: remember that this forum is a relatively small sample of people and there are MANY more applicants than what is seen here. So remember there are people that are feeling similar to you and you are not alone.

 

For now, grab a beverage, take a breath, watch some hallmark movies, and keep the faith. 

 

Message me if you need :) 

 

from one helping profession person to another, best of luck!

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is completely understandable that some of you are feeling pressure. Applying to law school is a journey filled with highs and lows. And at times, usually the worst kind of times (calling murphy), it is uncertain. But want I want to tell you is that your journey - with the law school applications or life in general - will never be certain. And that is okay. It is okay not to know how things will come to pass. 

You do not know where your current road will take you but it will take you somewhere; and as long as you can muster the resolve to deal with that fact, you will all be fine in the end. Life is funny and often we end up where we are well suited but wouldn't have otherwise set out to be; in spite of how hard it might be to see in the thick of things. 

Best of luck to all of you

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, legallybrunette3 said:

I feel your pain. I've put so much into this process, the thought of it all being for nothing gives me intense stress. 

Yes, exactly. I feel like I have expended so much emotional energy into this process and it is just such a daunting feeling to know that it probably was for nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lawstandfound said:

Do you have ties to the Maritimes?  I feel that with your stats, you should at least have a shot at UNB or DAL, especially if you have a connection.  If you are in your last year of undergrad, it may be better to try and keep/improve upon your GPA for L2  schools than spend your efforts on a couple of points increase on the LSAT, especially for those that are 60% GPA and 40% LSAT.  I guess it comes down to where your efforts are going to see the most return.  If you are PT'ing a lot higher than your current score then it might be worth a shot, but you would have to see the return on investment come test day. I honestly can't speak to schools out west because I didn't apply there.  Good luck!

I do not have ties to the Maritimes. I am not in school anymore unfortunately. I'm thinking that if this application cycle does not go in my favour then I will have to rewrite the LSAT. But thank you for your insight, it is really appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, trashpanda said:

Hey OP,

 

Similar background (albeit counsellor with adversity ;)) and stats to you and I completely agree with other people... It is a very difficult process and straining at the best of times and more so with the year we have had. Try and log off of this forum for a bit because it can cause a bit of imposter effect sometimes when you and I and many others see the Chance me: 4.0 GPA 180 LSAT threads :). Don't worry about what you can't control right now because there is a lot that you can still do in the meantime. 

Also, like what @Seekingredemption said you have put in work to get here and that is not all in vain. You have done well to A: Earn a degree with a great GPA  and B: a good LSAT score to boot that you can improve on if you decide to later. You have put in hours to this whole process and, although you may feel disheartened, you have put your heart and soul into it so far and that is a lesson in itself. 

 

Another thing: remember that this forum is a relatively small sample of people and there are MANY more applicants than what is seen here. So remember there are people that are feeling similar to you and you are not alone.

 

For now, grab a beverage, take a breath, watch some hallmark movies, and keep the faith. 

 

Message me if you need :) 

 

from one helping profession person to another, best of luck!

I can't tell you how absolutely delightful and reassuring it is to find another helping person on here! Reading people's ECs about working in law offices and having business degrees, I was starting to feel like a fish out of water. You're right- I have put in a lot of work to get to this point and I am proud of myself for that! I definitely need to work on treating myself with more kindness and not getting caught up in comparing myself to people on the internet who represent a very small sample size.

Thank you so much for your message. It was exactly what I needed to hear ❤️ 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wait it out until you're a mature applicant like I did. The math changes significantly at some schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, daniellemree said:

I can't tell you how absolutely delightful and reassuring it is to find another helping person on here! Reading people's ECs about working in law offices and having business degrees, I was starting to feel like a fish out of water. You're right- I have put in a lot of work to get to this point and I am proud of myself for that! I definitely need to work on treating myself with more kindness and not getting caught up in comparing myself to people on the internet who represent a very small sample size.

Thank you so much for your message. It was exactly what I needed to hear ❤️ 

I was a bartender with an ancient (as in I did it forever ago) arts degree and a 2.5 gpa. I received more than one acceptance as a mature applicant, and work on Bay St now.

Ignore the ECs and business degrees and all the rest. It's all noise.

Edited by easttowest
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, easttowest said:

I was a bartender with an ancient (as in I did it forever ago) arts degree and a 2.5 gpa. I received more than one acceptance as a mature applicant, and work on Bay St now.

Ignore the ECs and business degrees and all the rest. It's all noise.

Phew. I am ancient (like, legit ancient) and did my degree at a time at my university when a B started at 65%. So my GPA is shit. But whatever. If I've learned one thing along the way is that, no matter what, I'm going to be fine. If I've put my best effort into something and it doesn't pan out through forces beyond my control it's usually been a signal that it's not the right path and the right one will emerge if I just keep at it. It's worked out so far.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...