sarahoran12

Redo LSAT now or later

Hello, 

I applied to law schools by the due date of November 1 for this year application cycle. I applied to all in Ontario, however my LSAT that I did in August was 152, and I am of course planning to redo it, but I am conflicted on if I should do the Jan LSAT (which I paid for) or withdraw from it, which the last date to withdraw from jan is Dec 15. I am a full time student who is taking 4-5 courses per semester and the workload is really heavy with online lectures to watch and so many extra random assignments given to us this year. My GPA with OLSAS right now is 3.81 with 3.92 for L2. 

I have realistically a month to study again but I am really stressed because I know the mark on the LSAT is my downfall, and I am aiming to score at least 160 and increase my 8 points , but I am not sure if its a good idea to not do it again in January and not get the score I want and then have to do it again a third time and it I don't know if that will look good or bad, or wait and see what happens with the score I have (which I doubt I will get any acceptances) and write it in the summer of 2021 hopefully.

Any advice would really be appreciated, I've just been so exhausted and under tension this whole term and I don't mess something important like this up.

Thanks in advance.  

I just want to start by saying I completely feel you regarding the overload of work and stress this semester has induced, give yourself a pat on the back for pushing through!

With retaking the LSAT, I'd say to do so if you believe you can score higher - doesn't necessarily have to be 160 (obviously that would be fantastic) but even if you're PTing mid-high 150s that's still an improvement. Also, I don't think taking it three times is thaaaat bad, especially if you show a strong improvement each time (if others have more concrete thoughts on this, please correct me). 

1 minute ago, tornyc said:

With retaking the LSAT, I'd say to do so if you believe you can score higher - doesn't necessarily have to be 160 (obviously that would be fantastic) but even if you're PTing mid-high 150s that's still an improvement. 

I agree with this. Anything higher than a 152 will help you! Your GPA is fantastic. Besides, you're already signed up and LSAC gives terrible refunds. 

Taking the LSAT 3 times is no biggie, especially if the scores have an upward trend. 4 might be pushing it, but lots of people take it 3 times. 

For some people a month is plenty of time. For me it wouldn’t be close to enough time, but I really struggled with the LSAT. I think it just depends how much time you think you can reasonably devote to study, and knowing how you learn and progress. Burnout is real, and it takes time for these concepts to stick. 

Hey guys I actually ended up withdrawing from the Jan LSAT because I don't think I have time to study for this one month with so many things happening in my personal life and being constantly exhausted. I took 4 courses in the summer of 2020 and was also taking lsat prep course while doing my courses and it was hard to focus on just the LSAT so I ended up taking it in August and got a 152, so I want to make sure I don't do the same mistake again. 

3 minutes ago, sarahoran12 said:

it was hard to focus on just the LSAT so I ended up taking it in August and got a 152, so I want to make sure I don't do the same mistake again. 

We can give you all the advice in the world but only you know what's best for you. Take care of yourself!

I took about 4 months of focused studying on the LSAT with minimal distractions. It allowed me to really get into a groove, and looking back, I think it allowed me to get the successful mark I did. I think you made the right choice. If you want to spend time during the break studying for the summer LSAT I would recommend LSAT Wizard. 3 week course on logic games, and he really breaks it down, and can improve you to -0 on the LG section. 

8 hours ago, sarahoran12 said:

That’s great thank you , do you have anyone that you know can help  with logical reasoning and reading comprehension? 

7sage is excellent for LR. 

Look into their blind review method and live by it. I would take a PT, then go through every single LR question until I fully understood why an answer was right/wrong. Sometimes I’d even write out my reasoning, just to solidify it. 

I swear I was getting many questions right towards the end of my studies just by recognizing the structure of the stimulus. You start to get a “oh I’ve seen this one before!” feeling. 

For RC hit up the LSAT trainer, do supplementary reading (sciencenews.org is great for LSAT -like texts) and practice practice practice. 

At the end of the day though, it doesn’t sound like you have the time to make these strategies work-they are intensive. I would suggest waiting for a period where you can concentrate more fully on the test.

• Like 1