IAmTheLawgic

Advice About a Mark and Its Impact on 1L Summer Postitions

4 minutes ago, JusticeLordDenning said:

How do you find the firms in the GTA that hire 1L summer students? I've been looking (will look at this further after exam season) but can't seem to find a lot. Do they post on job portals? Do you cold email? Big law is easy to apply to, everything is in one spot.       

I think it's a mix. Some firms might have a posting on your school website, some might have a posting on their website, some might only respond to cold contact, and some/many don't hire 1L students. 

As you noted, the "biglaw" postings are all in one place - I cannot speak to how many other 1L positions there are

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JusticeLordDenning said:

How do you find the firms in the GTA that hire 1L summer students? I've been looking (will look at this further after exam season) but can't seem to find a lot. Do they post on job portals? Do you cold email? Big law is easy to apply to, everything is in one spot.       

I looked through two methods.

First I looked on a region’s law association website. Some local law associations for each respective region post what firms are hiring (I know Hamilton does this). This is a great resource to use. 

Second, I did some Google searching of law firms in regions I would want to work in and read their “career” page. Many have a section outlining if they take on summer students and who to send applications to. I know off hand that this is the case in the Waterloo region. 

This can be time consuming but really, you’ve got a Christmas break to do some Google searching. Doing so can land you a 1L job because half the class doesn’t even know there’s jobs outside the formal recruitment systems and the other half doesn’t want to apply to them. 

Most firms outside the big law recruit don’t use the portal or conventional OCI tools. When I was in 1L I recall applying to firms I saw were hiring/had a summer law student programs by sending my application via email to an HR personnel. I got numerous interviews and landed multiple job offers. 

• Like 2