how was your experience this year given the situation with COVID? Would you be able to go into detail about your daily routine, meeting classmates, how studying has been, relationships with staff etc..

Thank you so much!

@lawnerd2

The law school has done a really good job with everything. 

We have in person classes (in masks and socially distanced) for all classes except Constitutional which is absolutely fantastic cuz Zoom classes are just terrible imo. 

It's definitely harder to meet others outside of our small group but I've found that if you reach out, its possible to  make friends and connections.

Staff have been exceptionally flexible and accommodating -- no issues on that front.

The libraries are mostly closed so I just study at home, but there isn't much that can be done about that one.

Daily routine: I have classes 4 days a week. 2 classes each day Monday-Thursday  (just over 3 hours a day for 4 days) There's a tad of online material we've had to do online but not much.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Can I ask what your stats were? Also, how difficult was it to find housing and roommates in London? Both in general and if there were any added difficulties due to COVID?

Would you be able to speak on the overall program of Western? Have you experienced the environment to be more heavily corporate law focused or is the school trying to be more diverse? How are the professors and the classes in general in terms of content, work, interesting/not interesting?

@tornyc

For good stats look at the median @https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/jd_admissions/class_profiles.html

Extremely easy to find housing! Western has a housing page on their website and theres a couple Facebook pages. Housing is very cheap in London. 

Find roommates by just reaching out to people or rooming with someone you know. 

Yes Covid complicates things but not by that much in the roommate context (ur gonna be living with them anyways).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, legallybound said:

Would you be able to speak on the overall program of Western? Have you experienced the environment to be more heavily corporate law focused or is the school trying to be more diverse? How are the professors and the classes in general in terms of content, work, interesting/not interesting?

Not a 1L but am a Western student. 1Ls have yet to even take corporate law by this point so I figured an upper year perspective may be helpful. There are a lot of corporate courses offered, and many students are interested in corporate law, but the course offerings and student interests overall are diverse. There are courses in employment, labour, family, human rights, class actions, crim, etc. There is a family, civil, and crim clinic. There is truly a club for every interest, plus you can always start one of your own if you're into something niche. 

As for the second half of your question I think that's hard to gauge. Most students won't be able to compare the workload and content of their classes against that of their peers at different schools. Further, I have taken some classes that I truly hated and my friends have found interesting, and vice versa. I think Western has some fantastic profs and some okay profs. My guess is many schools are like that. And again, intelligent minds may disagree. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LawBlaw2019 said:

Not a 1L but am a Western student. 1Ls have yet to even take corporate law by this point so I figured an upper year perspective may be helpful. There are a lot of corporate courses offered, and many students are interested in corporate law, but the course offerings and student interests overall are diverse. There are courses in employment, labour, family, human rights, class actions, crim, etc. There is a family, civil, and crim clinic. There is truly a club for every interest, plus you can always start one of your own if you're into something niche. 

As for the second half of your question I think that's hard to gauge. Most students won't be able to compare the workload and content of their classes against that of their peers at different schools. Further, I have taken some classes that I truly hated and my friends have found interesting, and vice versa. I think Western has some fantastic profs and some okay profs. My guess is many schools are like that. And again, intelligent minds may disagree. 

What's the intramurals situation like? Is there hockey? 

2 minutes ago, MountainMon said:

What's the intramurals situation like? Is there hockey? 

I'll let someone else take this one. I have the athleticism of a fish and pay no attention to intramurals.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for answering the questions so promptly!

Just another question, for those who want to live alone but still want to be apart of the community, what are some of the more popular condos for law/grad students? 

@legallybound

The environment is quite good, everyone is very helpful. There's no cutthroat action (UofT jk jk)

The program is quite good in my opinion. Professors are very nice and most of them are very interesting (not all lmao)

You can find depth in any niche but ya there are a lot of upper year corporate law courses and Western is the only school where you can take corporate in 1st year. 

The work load is highly manageable imo if you allocate your time correctly and figure out what you can skip. Cheers

• Like 2

@MountainMon

Yes we have a hockey team (not this year cuz of covid) but hockey intramurals are running. I play a bunch.

Normal years have a bunch of intramurals, definitely a place where you can find sports. 

Edited by tomles
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2020 at 2:29 PM, TheBanhMiBoy said:

What's been your experience with recruiting for summer internships? Thank you for doing this by the way. 

3L here. Thought I would help answer some questions. We have the western law internship program which a bunch of 1Ls do but also some 2Ls. There are almost 30 students that get placed through this from what I recall. There are plenty of different internships in both public and private work. E.g. UN in Geneva, many organizations in the US, etc. You get a $15-20k stipend to do them. In terms of the formal 1L recruitment process, it is a bit of a crapshoot. You can see the stats here for all schools: https://ultravires.ca/2020/10/toronto-summer-2020-1l-recruitment-results/. Either way, I wouldn't rely on getting a law-related job in 1L. Most students have non-law related jobs or just take the summer off (and pre-pandemic, travel). In 2L, about a third of the class at Western gets a summer job through the formal recruitment process, which almost always leads to articling (http://ultravires.ca/2019/12/toronto-summer-2020-2l-recruit-numbers/). And based on my understanding about another 1/3 get a summer job from other markets (e.g. London, Ottawa, Waterloo, Windsor, etc.) and outside the formal recruit. The other third find jobs usually through the articling recruit or afterwards.

On 12/3/2020 at 4:54 PM, lawnerd2 said:

Thank you so much for answering the questions so promptly!

Just another question, for those who want to live alone but still want to be apart of the community, what are some of the more popular condos for law/grad students? 

I lived in Bayfield hall which was right on campus (literally 5 min walk to class). Decent apartment with a great location relative to Western, but groceries were a pain and it was far from restaurants/fast food (if you don't have a car). It was just over $1k a month. I believe it's about $1.1k now. There's also two other buildings right next to it that have some law students there as well. There were a few law students I knew in the complex and probably about ten from our entire class, so it was quite a bit. Many other students live at 695 richmond, 180 mill (both downtown, you can expect to pay $1.5-1.6k for a 1bdrm), some live in the Cherryhill apartments area (not downtown, not too close to campus, but has groceries, food, etc. and is a bit cheaper), and some lived at richmond gates (they have 5 apartment buildings right at the richmond gates) - though this is not close to downtown if that's what you're looking for, but it is pretty cheap ($1-1.2k for 1bdrm other than Luxe) and relatively close to campus.

On 12/3/2020 at 2:28 PM, tornyc said:

Also, how difficult was it to find housing and roommates in London?

It's not difficult to find housing and roommates in London generally. It's a renters market. I'm not sure what affect COVID had, but there are plenty of students looking to sublet that are living at home so they was an influx of properties and reduction of rental prices, slightly.

On 12/3/2020 at 3:14 PM, legallybound said:

It does have more of a corporate focus than other schools, from what I've heard my friends tell me about their schools. Which is great if you want to study corporate law. But at the same time there are diverse course offerings and my friends that are going into non-corporate areas of law have plenty of courses they're able to take. I would suggest you look through the course offerings for each school that you're interested in. As for the professors, they are wonderful IMO. Much better than undergrad. Most are very passionate and love teaching. There are a few that are "meh", but for the most part the faculty is really great and you can tell they are very passionate about teaching.

Edited by georgecostanzajr
  • Like 4