Jump to content
truth101

Will scoring lower on Jan2021 LSAT hurt my chances?

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. The deadline to register for Jan2021's LSAT is coming up (Dec 2) and I'm pretty conflicted. Generally speaking, if I were to score lower in Jan, what's the worst that can happen? Will that decrease my chances, or will I not be affected if schools only consider my highest score? Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of retaking.

I don't want to share too many specifics, but I will say I got a 161 on my first attempt in August. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by truth101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there. 

I was in a similar position that you’re in. I have a similar LSAT score that you have and was deciding to rewrite. Before I decided I contacted Western to ask how the Admissions Committee would view a hypothetical drop in my LSAT score. I was told that while it may not make-or-break my application, it won’t look as favourable. I was also told that if I wasn’t scoring significantly higher on my PTs, then it may not be worth rewriting. 

Hope this helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on your GPA. If you have a competitive GPA, I wouldn't bother rewriting in January. But if you are like me and have a lower GPA, I would rewrite if confident.

To put into perspective, I scored a 161 on my November test and am now aiming for a 168+ on January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, AI13 said:

It depends on your GPA. If you have a competitive GPA, I wouldn't bother rewriting in January. But if you are like me and have a lower GPA, I would rewrite if confident.

To put into perspective, I scored a 161 on my November test and am now aiming for a 168+ on January.

Does 'lower' to you mean below 3.5? I'm in a similar position to OP (160 in October) and am debating whether I should rewrite in January but I'm hoping that my stats will be enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, truth101 said:

Hi everyone. The deadline to register for Jan2021's LSAT is coming up (Dec 2) and I'm pretty conflicted. Generally speaking, if I were to score lower in Jan, what's the worst that can happen? Will that decrease my chances, or will I not be affected if schools only consider my highest score? Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of retaking.

I don't want to share too many specifics, but I will say I got a 161 on my first attempt in August. 

Thanks in advance.

may be...depends on which schools you have applied.

no issue for western though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the responses! 

I think I'll take a PT in the next couple of days to assess where I'm at (since I admittedly haven't looked at one since August) then factor that into my pro/con assessment. I don't want to pay to retake and purchase new resources if I can only realistically score around the same or lower, so we'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, truth101 said:

I appreciate the responses! 

I think I'll take a PT in the next couple of days to assess where I'm at (since I admittedly haven't looked at one since August) then factor that into my pro/con assessment. I don't want to pay to retake and purchase new resources if I can only realistically score around the same or lower, so we'll see. 

Where else did you apply besides Western and your GPA and L2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Where else did you apply besides Western and your GPA and L2?

Applied to Western, Queen's and Ottawa.

I think my cGPA is just above 3.6 but it's brought down by my L2, which is lower than my potential due to extenuating circumstances that form the basis of my access claim. 

I thought a 161 was decent enough to apply given my claim, but I'm having doubts and feel like I could improve my chances if I prove I can do better 😕 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Western  - What is your L2?

Queen's  What is your B2?

Ottawa.- 100%

Not sure how to calculate B2, but B3 seems to be 3.86. 

L2 is 3.47 unfortunately due to factors mentioned above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, truth101 said:

Not sure how to calculate B2, but B3 seems to be 3.86. 

L2 is 3.47 unfortunately due to factors mentioned above. 

Western under 50%

Queens close to 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Western under 50%

Queens close to 100%

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, do you think a higher LSAT score will improve my chances for Western? Or does it now just depend on their assessment of my access claim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, truth101 said:

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, do you think a higher LSAT score will improve my chances for Western? Or does it now just depend on their assessment of my access claim?

Western is L2... Hard to predict access claim.. 3.47 L2 is a bit low for Western. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Western is L2... Hard to predict access claim.. 3.47 L2 is a bit low for Western. 

Thanks for the info. Hoping for the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • I can ask my friends what they did. I've only ever lived with buddies in Ottawa. The Facebook accepted page would be a good place to start.
    • For the FC, the judges rank their candidates and the most senior judges get to pick from the pool of candidates first and select their top choice (or the next preferred candidates if their top choices have been selected). The SCC is the same idea with a slightly different process. I wouldn't panic, all the offers may not have gone out. 
    • Echoing what everyone has said so far. A master's degree is definitely not necessary for law school, but could be very beneficial. For example, for the 1L IP Recruit - Intellectual Property firms look favourably upon candidates with master's degree in STEM. I went straight to law school from undergrad, and I don't feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage or anything. I would just add that you can also pursue a joint JD/Master's degree program.
    • I think it has to do with timing (call day was literally yesterday and I’m sure wounds are still fresh) and just being a good sport. Of course ppl should be happy and proud of their accomplishments, but to openly brag about winning something so sought after, so soon after the recruit, is a bit much. And yes everyone will land a job eventually, but having empathy for others and taking other ppl’s feelings into consideration can go a long way  

×
×
  • Create New...