truth101

Will scoring lower on Jan2021 LSAT hurt my chances?

Hi everyone. The deadline to register for Jan2021's LSAT is coming up (Dec 2) and I'm pretty conflicted. Generally speaking, if I were to score lower in Jan, what's the worst that can happen? Will that decrease my chances, or will I not be affected if schools only consider my highest score? Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of retaking.

I don't want to share too many specifics, but I will say I got a 161 on my first attempt in August. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by truth101

Hi there. 

I was in a similar position that you’re in. I have a similar LSAT score that you have and was deciding to rewrite. Before I decided I contacted Western to ask how the Admissions Committee would view a hypothetical drop in my LSAT score. I was told that while it may not make-or-break my application, it won’t look as favourable. I was also told that if I wasn’t scoring significantly higher on my PTs, then it may not be worth rewriting. 

Hope this helped.

It depends on your GPA. If you have a competitive GPA, I wouldn't bother rewriting in January. But if you are like me and have a lower GPA, I would rewrite if confident.

To put into perspective, I scored a 161 on my November test and am now aiming for a 168+ on January.

26 minutes ago, AI13 said:

It depends on your GPA. If you have a competitive GPA, I wouldn't bother rewriting in January. But if you are like me and have a lower GPA, I would rewrite if confident.

To put into perspective, I scored a 161 on my November test and am now aiming for a 168+ on January.

Does 'lower' to you mean below 3.5? I'm in a similar position to OP (160 in October) and am debating whether I should rewrite in January but I'm hoping that my stats will be enough.

2 hours ago, truth101 said:

Hi everyone. The deadline to register for Jan2021's LSAT is coming up (Dec 2) and I'm pretty conflicted. Generally speaking, if I were to score lower in Jan, what's the worst that can happen? Will that decrease my chances, or will I not be affected if schools only consider my highest score? Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of retaking.

I don't want to share too many specifics, but I will say I got a 161 on my first attempt in August. 

Thanks in advance.

may be...depends on which schools you have applied.

no issue for western though

I appreciate the responses! 

I think I'll take a PT in the next couple of days to assess where I'm at (since I admittedly haven't looked at one since August) then factor that into my pro/con assessment. I don't want to pay to retake and purchase new resources if I can only realistically score around the same or lower, so we'll see. 

1 minute ago, truth101 said:

I appreciate the responses! 

I think I'll take a PT in the next couple of days to assess where I'm at (since I admittedly haven't looked at one since August) then factor that into my pro/con assessment. I don't want to pay to retake and purchase new resources if I can only realistically score around the same or lower, so we'll see. 

Where else did you apply besides Western and your GPA and L2?

29 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Where else did you apply besides Western and your GPA and L2?

Applied to Western, Queen's and Ottawa.

I think my cGPA is just above 3.6 but it's brought down by my L2, which is lower than my potential due to extenuating circumstances that form the basis of my access claim. 

I thought a 161 was decent enough to apply given my claim, but I'm having doubts and feel like I could improve my chances if I prove I can do better 😕 

2 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Western  - What is your L2?

Queen's  What is your B2?

Ottawa.- 100%

Not sure how to calculate B2, but B3 seems to be 3.86. 

L2 is 3.47 unfortunately due to factors mentioned above. 

47 minutes ago, truth101 said:

Not sure how to calculate B2, but B3 seems to be 3.86. 

L2 is 3.47 unfortunately due to factors mentioned above. 

Western under 50%

Queens close to 100%

46 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Western under 50%

Queens close to 100%

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, do you think a higher LSAT score will improve my chances for Western? Or does it now just depend on their assessment of my access claim?

7 minutes ago, truth101 said:

Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, do you think a higher LSAT score will improve my chances for Western? Or does it now just depend on their assessment of my access claim?

Western is L2... Hard to predict access claim.. 3.47 L2 is a bit low for Western. 

11 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Western is L2... Hard to predict access claim.. 3.47 L2 is a bit low for Western. 

Thanks for the info. Hoping for the best!