rebeccamtl

Another “should I retake” post. (2.9, 3.2, 168)

I’m about to sign up for January.

I was PTing 168-174 and got a 168 (95th percentile) in October, after getting the infamous shredder game. Took November expecting an increase but due to some major distractions during the exam, I got a 164 (89th percentile). Crushing, obviously.

I’m pretty damn confident I can get above 170 in January, and I’m okay with studying again for the test.

I’m a mature student, applied Mature and Access/Discretionary across Ontario, plus to McGill and UBC. My GPA (from 2011) sucks. Degree GPA is 3.09, cGPA sub 3.0 (2.8-2.9?) because of a bad freshman year in the USA. L2 is probably around 3.2. B20 for Ryerson is 3.6. Obviously counting on my work/life experience, and LSAT score.

Question is, at this point, is it worth 1) paying the money, 2) delaying my application’s review, to retake January if I could probably score 170+?

Would it make a huge difference? I really want to get into Ottawa. And everywhere else 😂

I spend too much time on the LSAT Reddit and it’s like I don’t even feel like my 168 means anything anymore lol.  

55 minutes ago, rebeccamtl said:I spend too much time on the LSAT Reddit and it’s like I don’t even feel like my 168 means anything anymore lol.  

Those guys are largely American, they need a 170+ to go anywhere worthwhile. 168 is not excellent score, above the average at every school in Canada (except it might be the average for uoft). 

Edited by PlatoandSocrates
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, PlatoandSocrates said:

Those guys are largely American, they need a 170+ to go anywhere worthwhile. 168 is not excellent score, above the average at every school in Canada (except it might be the average for uoft). 

Thanks, yeah I would be happy with it if my GPA were normal I guess. I’m just trying as hard as I can to prove to adcoms that I am academically capable. 

1 hour ago, Luckycharm said:

Don't bother...

I read what U of O has to say and apparently they won’t wait on your LSAT score anyways, is that true? You seem to have all the answers on every post 😆 Ottawa is my top choice, which is unfortunate for me because of the emphasis they put on GPA. 

You answered the question yourself about Ottawa. You GPA is no competitive.

Are your GPA and L2 per OLSAS conversion?

I am not sure how your "mature" application impact your chance with 3.0.

Your 168 may have a great impact on your chance but not sure if that and combined with your "mature' status can pull your over..

Do you speak French ?

good luck.

Edited by Luckycharm

5 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

You answered the question yourself about Ottawa. You GPA is no competitive.

Are your GPA and L2 per OLSAS conversion?

I am not sure how your "mature" application impact your chance with 3.0.

Your 168 may have a great impact on your chance but not sure if that and combined with your "mature' status can pull your over..

Do you speak French ?

good luck.

Mature applications are supposed to be assessed more holistically, isn't that the point of Mature/Access? If not, I can't imagine a reason for the category to exist.

I don't have my OLSAS GPA yet. I figure at this point is doesn't even matter, they will either forgive it because of my LSAT and work experience, or not. A point up or down will hardly make or break me. (And yes I am somewhat bilingual). 

I'd say if you are confident you can achieve a 170, and can afford it, why not? It can only help, not hurt anyway. Still, a 168 is an amazing score, and as you may already know, better than 95% of the applicants who took the test. And Ottawa states that they would wait for January LSAT. It is noted on their website. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BoundToHappenSomeday said:

I'd say if you are confident you can achieve a 170, and can afford it, why not? It can only help, not hurt anyway. Still, a 168 is an amazing score, and as you may already know, better than 95% of the applicants who took the test. And Ottawa states that they would wait for January LSAT. It is noted on their website. 

They actually say if you have a score on record that they won't wait, and won't reevaluate after a new score. Presuming they even read my application before Feb 3 when Jan scores are released. Which they may not because I'm mature... 

I think I'll retake just so I know that I did whatever I could this cycle to get in. I can't really afford it but at the same time, I have already poured SO much money into this (LSATs and apps), if I don't maximize my chances, I risk it all being a waste anyways. 

Are you me? Basically have the exact same stats was even PTing in the same range lol. I thought about re-taking too but ultimately decided against it. I didn't think it was worth the additional stress -- I'm going to let my 168 show them that I at least have some potential academically, and let my references and experiences cover the rest. Like you said, I think that's the whole point of the Mature/Access/Discretionary categories, that our scores from over half a decade ago don't currently define who we are and what we've become. I believe my experiences and ECs are meaningful and that I've told a proper story with it in my PS that explains well why I want to get into law and why I would be a good candidate for law school. 

If you're SURE you can do better (considering you did drop for your retake, which was something I was scared about myself if I retook) and you have the time, money, and energy... I don't think it would hurt and it's the only way to improve your application at this point. 

12 hours ago, rebeccamtl said:

Mature applications are supposed to be assessed more holistically, isn't that the point of Mature/Access? If not, I can't imagine a reason for the category to exist.

I don't have my OLSAS GPA yet. I figure at this point is doesn't even matter, they will either forgive it because of my LSAT and work experience, or not. A point up or down will hardly make or break me. (And yes I am somewhat bilingual). 

Ottawa has french common law .. that's why I asked.. Ottawa put more emphasis on GPA, however, an exception could be made for 'mature" applicants.

Your 168 is really impressive. I hope it is enough to make up for your GPA.

Good luck..

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, goodisgood said:

Are you me? Basically have the exact same stats was even PTing in the same range lol. I thought about re-taking too but ultimately decided against it. I didn't think it was worth the additional stress -- I'm going to let my 168 show them that I at least have some potential academically, and let my references and experiences cover the rest. Like you said, I think that's the whole point of the Mature/Access/Discretionary categories, that our scores from over half a decade ago don't currently define who we are and what we've become. I believe my experiences and ECs are meaningful and that I've told a proper story with it in my PS that explains well why I want to get into law and why I would be a good candidate for law school. 

If you're SURE you can do better (considering you did drop for your retake, which was something I was scared about myself if I retook) and you have the time, money, and energy... I don't think it would hurt and it's the only way to improve your application at this point. 

Yeah that drop on test #2 did not feel very good, makes me sick just thinking about it, and since McGill averages LSAT scores, I screwed myself a bit there. This test is... a beast. I think I've become obsessed with it though, since, as you said, it's the only thing at this point we can really improve/control. In fact, this whole process has turned me into a neurotic mess.

I think I'm going to retake since it could increase my chances at a few schools, especially UBC which uses an index and drops some credits. All I need is a 180 and I'm above their admit threshold 😂

Good luck to us both!

• Like 1

I know I've said this before, and you respectfully declined, but I still think U of S is a solid shot, if you can convince your partner. Their median average is usually something like 158/3.5 B2. So I think 168/3.2 gives you a good shot.

That said, with the somewhat "unknowable" process in the mature category, maybe you will get into your more preferred schools anyway. :) Not sure about Ottawa, as discussed already; I think your best bet among the 'established' schools may be Western (combining B2 with at least the existence of a mature category). 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GrumpyMountie said:

I know I've said this before, and you respectfully declined, but I still think U of S is a solid shot, if you can convince your partner. Their median average is usually something like 158/3.5 B2. So I think 168/3.2 gives you a good shot.

That said, with the somewhat "unknowable" process in the mature category, maybe you will get into your more preferred schools anyway. :) Not sure about Ottawa, as discussed already; I think your best bet among the 'established' schools may be Western (combining B2 with at least the existence of a mature category). 

Good luck! 

Thanks (again, haha, I know I have become completely neurotic). I think I have a decent shot at Ryerson because they take B20 which puts me at a 3.6 with my 168, and good entrepreneurial experience, so I think Toronto would be an easier choice for the family to get behind! You may be right though that I should just apply everywhere, to increase the chance I actually get to go to law school next year! 

1 minute ago, rebeccamtl said:

Thanks (again, haha, I know I have become completely neurotic). I think I have a decent shot at Ryerson because they take B20 which puts me at a 3.6 with my 168, and good entrepreneurial experience, so I think Toronto would be an easier choice for the family to get behind! You may be right though that I should just apply everywhere, to increase the chance I actually get to go to law school next year! 

That's the right attitude. 

Hope you get in somewhere.... 

• Like 1