futurebirdlawyer

Chance me now that I have final grades? Should I worry about taking the Jan LSAT?

Hi all, 

Although I have asked before for my chances, I would really appreciate some perspective now that I have a good idea what my final grades will be. I am in my final semester and a good 60-80% of my course content has been completed and graded. Like many of us, I am also concerned about the possibility of a more competitive application cycle but not sure how legitimate those concerns are. I have applied to Osgoode, UOttawa, Western,  and UofT so far. I will be completing my Uvic, UBC and Calgary applications today.

Everything is OLSAS converted unless noted. UBC/UVic Gpas are without drops since I got an NCR in 1st year and not sure how they would take that into account. 

LSAT: 164 (89th percentile)

I got this score back in August. I was PTing 168-169 on average but I think that due to anxiety and what I felt like a harder RC section (probably just seemed that way due to my anxiety) I got a 164. I think I could reasonably study to be in 168-170 range by January but not sure if I can guarantee that I will match that performance on the test. As I already have a decent although not amazing score, I am unsure if trying again is worth the $300+. I pay for almost all of my education myself and will be paying myself through law school so every little amount counts. I already have somewhere between 30-40k in debt. 

Stats (most likely case but also erring a little on the side of caution)

CGPA: 3.64/3.65
L2: 3.79/3.80
B3: 3.80/3.81
UBC GPA: 83.32 (84.31 with the drops the calculator assumed)
UBC Index: 91.48 (91.74 with 84.31GPA)
UVic GPA: 3.76
UVic Index: 915

There are some other things to consider about my application. Most of my semesters I only took 4 courses so I was still full time but at 80% course load. I think i was full time about 4/9 semesters but only 2 of those were good. I have very few extracurriculars/softs. I think I only had four verifiers, two of which were awards and the other two were employers that I had during my university summers. I also worked for one of them part time during my 4th year. I also have an NCR in a first year class, meaning that I failed and didn't get the credit but no score is on my transcript and it does not impact my CGPA. I have a massive uptrend since then so I am not sure if that matters at all but I wanted to mention it. The places I think it will matter the most are UBC/Uvic as it might influence which courses they choose to drop. My undergrad was at UofT if that is relevant. I think my PS were pretty good but nothing extraordinary. 

Right now I most want to go to UBC or UVic but would be happy with most of my other schools. Ottawa is the one I want to go to the least but that is mostly because of the weather. If you guys can chance me but also give me perspective on whether I should take the LSAT again I would be extremely grateful. 

-futurebirdlawyer

Edited by futurebirdlawyer
  • Like 1

" I have applied to Osgoode, UOttawa, Western,  and UofT"

Osgoode 100%

Ottawa 100%

Western 100%

U of T 50%

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Osgoode 100%

Ottawa 100%

Western 100%

U of T 50%

Thanks for the reply, not only on this post but my other ones too. :)

Do you have any idea how my NCR, part time course loads, and lack of softs will affect me? 

This is probably the most organized chances post I have ever seen lol, I'm impressed.

You're in at UVic for sure! Auto-admit is usually around 905 to 910 I believe, with the exception of outlier years. Since your UVic GPA is without drops then you're extra guaranteed to be a lock. 

UBC is iffy - it'll probably come down to your PS. Some people got in with that index (the 91.7) last year, but some were waitlisted forever. If you're not super confident in your statement, an LSAT rewrite isn't a bad idea if you think you can improve to match your PT scores. It does suck financially, especially when you don't have a ton of money to spare, so use your discretion.

I tried to find answers to your NCR question but it's a tough one.

I found this on UBC's FAQ about pass/fail and credit/D/fail courses:

If your institution has switched to a Pass/Fail or Credit/D/Fail system due to the disruptions caused by the ongoing pandemic, it will not affect your application unless a) you obtained a D or an F in the course or b) you are applying in the third year of your undergraduate degree. Both situations will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.

And this on UVic's:

We are aware that many post-secondary institutions are offering differential grading options for the 2019-2020 academic year. They are either changing their grading systems to credit/no credit, or allowing students to have an option to elect credit/no credit due to COVID-19. Future applicants are advised that this will not negatively affect eligibility to apply.

Though, those were both targeted in response to COVID. I'm not sure if things change since you received the NCR before COVID. The NCR won't be included in your calculation, because there's literally no grade to include, but I'm not sure if it'll affect your application.

Tbh I doubt it will be an issue. I would still email both schools and ask about it, just for some peace of mind.

Side note - I know your username is probably a joke but for real... fighting for the rights of birds? Kinda dope. Birds everywhere are crossing their feathers in your name.

Edited by Firecracker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, futurebirdlawyer said:

Thanks for the reply, not only on this post but my other ones too. :)

Do you have any idea how my NCR, part time course loads, and lack of softs will affect me? 

Affect you in what sense? With stats like that, they may not bother to go over your application in detail.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Affect you in what sense? With stats like that, they may not bother to go over your application in detail.

I was just wondering how much it would affect my application. For example, if someone had like 3.7 L2 163 LSAT but better ECs/course load than me would they be more likely to get in? Even if that person's ECs were just average. 

On 11/29/2020 at 7:26 PM, Luckycharm said:

Osgoode 100%

Ottawa 100%

Western 100%

U of T 50%

hey, just wondering why 50% for UofT? is it based on the factors OP outlined, outside of stats?

thanks!

5 hours ago, Firecracker said:

This is probably the most organized chances post I have ever seen lol, I'm impressed.

You're in at UVic for sure! Auto-admit is usually around 905 to 910 I believe, with the exception of outlier years. Since your UVic GPA is without drops then you're extra guaranteed to be a lock. 

UBC is iffy - it'll probably come down to your PS. Some people got in with that index (the 91.7) last year, but some were waitlisted forever. If you're not super confident in your statement, an LSAT rewrite isn't a bad idea if you think you can improve to match your PT scores. It does suck financially, especially when you don't have a ton of money to spare, so use your discretion.

I tried to find answers to your NCR question but it's a tough one.

I found this on UBC's FAQ about pass/fail and credit/D/fail courses:

And this on UVic's:

Though, those were both targeted in response to COVID. I'm not sure if things change since you received the NCR before COVID. The NCR won't be included in your calculation, because there's literally no grade to include, but I'm not sure if it'll affect your application.

Tbh I doubt it will be an issue. I would still email both schools and ask about it, just for some peace of mind.

Side note - I know your username is probably a joke but for real... fighting for the rights of birds? Kinda dope. Birds everywhere are crossing their feathers in your name.

Thanks for the reply! I feel that my UBC personal statement is pretty good. Knowing that I am likely getting into Uvic though makes me less concerned about getting into UBC so I probably won't retake. 

Funnily enough I did email both of them about the issue. Both of them I think automatically assumed I was talking about CR/NCR during covid and sent me their automated information about it which was basically what you quoted from their websites. They didn't seem to notice that I specifically said the year I got NCR (2017) and asked how it would be interpreted outside of covid. 

My name is a reference to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, a comedy show with some funny vaguely law related episodes. LegalEagle on Youtube does a  great reaction to them you should check it out. :)

• Like 1