mktoronto

Cancel Nov Score (160) for a Better Jan?

Hi everyone!

Currently in my last year of undergrad at UofT and my OLSAS GPA is 3.8 (L2: 3.82). I've applied to UofT, Osgoode, UBC and UVic (wouldn't actually go to UVic though probably) this cycle.

I took the November LSAT for the first time and got a 160 (as expected—I had been testing in the 160-162 range for two weeks prior). Not a good enough score for the schools I've chosen, I know.

I will be taking the January LSAT and hope to improve my score to the 163-165 range over the holiday season. I only studied for about 2 months for the Nov one and my biggest weakness is that I can only ever complete 3/4 RCs so I think I can really improve on that and also step up my LR game (my LGs are good).

My question is: should I cancel the Jan LSAT? My Score Preview option expires tomorrow I believe. Is there a chance that, since I've already applied, schools could look at my 160 score (if I don't cancel) and dismiss my application before my Jan score is in? I did indicate on my applications that I'll be taking the Jan 2021 LSAT as well so I'd hope that they wouldn't.

Edited by mktoronto

You studied 2 months & get 160, that's impressive!! May I ask how many hours per day do you dedicate? You are such an inspiration. Good luck!!

• Like 1

Your question has already been answered, but I thought I'd add (just in case you were being serious and not expressing false modesty): Your existing score absolutely puts you into the realm of possible admission for both UVic and Osgoode.

-GM

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mktoronto said:

My question is: should I cancel the Jan LSAT? My Score Preview option expires tomorrow

^ Oops, meant to ask if I should cancel my Nov LSAT score. Sounds like everyone understood what I was saying though.

Thank you all for the input!

43 minutes ago, cat123 said:

May I ask how many hours per day do you dedicate?

Spent the first 3 weeks going through the Powerscore Bibles, and then the rest of the time maybe 3-4 hours per day every other day doing PTs. Last week or two before the test I was probably doing more so around 5 hours daily! Should've studied more but I was swamped with schoolwork.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, mktoronto said:

^ Oops, meant to ask if I should cancel my Nov LSAT score. Sounds like everyone understood what I was saying though.

Thank you all for the input!

Spent the first 3 weeks going through the Powerscore Bibles, and then the rest of the time maybe 3-4 hours per day every other day doing PTs. Last week or two before the test I was probably doing more so around 5 hours daily! Should've studied more but I was swamped with schoolwork.

Super helpful! 

Of course listen to the others here and don’t cancel. 

You’re going to get into those schools if you find the time over the holidays to keep up the studying. 160 and only two months of study is damn good! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mktoronto said:

Hi everyone!

Currently in my last year of undergrad at UofT and my OLSAS GPA is 3.8 (L2: 3.82). I've applied to UofT, Osgoode, UBC and UVic (wouldn't actually go to UVic though probably) this cycle.

I took the November LSAT for the first time and got a 160 (as expected—I had been testing in the 160-162 range for two weeks prior). Not a good enough score for the schools I've chosen, I know.

I will be taking the January LSAT and hope to improve my score to the 163-165 range over the holiday season. I only studied for about 2 months for the Nov one and my biggest weakness is that I can only ever complete 3/4 RCs so I think I can really improve on that and also step up my LR game (my LGs are good).

My question is: should I cancel the Jan LSAT? My Score Preview option expires tomorrow I believe. Is there a chance that, since I've already applied, schools could look at my 160 score (if I don't cancel) and dismiss my application before my Jan score is in? I did indicate on my applications that I'll be taking the Jan 2021 LSAT as well so I'd hope that they wouldn't.

You have a good chance for OZ.. Don't cancel.

Why didn't you apply to other schools ?

3 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

You have a good chance for OZ.. Don't cancel.

Why didn't you apply to other schools ?

Honestly, I just wouldn't want to go anywhere but UBC, UofT, or Osgoode (not sure why I applied to UVic to be frank). Grew up in downtown Vancouver and did undergrad at UofT—been living in cities my whole life and don't want to move away to a smaller city, even just for school. If there were more law schools in Vancouver or Toronto, I'd happily apply to those (didn't apply to Ryerson just because I didn't feel like it was a good fit overall).

I'm not itching to go to law school straight out of undergrad that bad anyway so if I don't get into any of these three schools this round, I'd rather wait until next cycle and reapply with what I'm sure will be a better LSAT score after a year of practice!

• Like 1