lawlizard

Questions about Co-op Program

Hi there,

I'm considering applying to UVic and their co-op program is a huge bonus for me. Is there anyone on this site that could speak to their experience? Is it worth it? What types of positions? Pros? Cons?

Thanks in advance.

Just now, Mihael said:

What in particular do you find interesting about their co-op program?

I read on a post from a few years back that UVic has access to exclusive postings and potentially some internationally. This would bring competition down by a fair bit when it comes to applying. Also they’re paid, unlike some internships. I pay for my own school (as do many) so it would help. 
I’m a noob when it comes down to all this so I realize I may sound a bit lost lol. 

It is true that the co-op program can give you access to some different types of work experiences. This is the main advantage of the program and it does seem pretty cool. Given that some positions are exclusively offered through the program, it's a great opportunity to get those unique experiences.

But an important thing to keep in mind is that, precisely because the unique co-op jobs are, well, unique, they're unlikely to give you an edge when it comes to eventual recruiting for permanent work. In other words, since none of the traditional/OCI big employers participate in the co-op, your co-op experience in some unique small firm or government office will not likely be much help in landing articling positions with those employers. So the value of the program may depend somewhat on where you want to go "in the end".

Take all of the above with a grain of salt, however. I am technically in the co-op program (along with at least 2/3 of the 1L JD class), but I haven't actually done a work term yet. ;)

-GM

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GrumpyMountie said:

It is true that the co-op program can give you access to some different types of work experiences. This is the main advantage of the program and it does seem pretty cool. Given that some positions are exclusively offered through the program, it's a great opportunity to get those unique experiences.

But an important thing to keep in mind is that, precisely because the unique co-op jobs are, well, unique, they're unlikely to give you an edge when it comes to eventual recruiting for permanent work. In other words, since none of the traditional/OCI big employers participate in the co-op, your co-op experience in some unique small firm or government office will not likely be much help in landing articling positions with those employers. So the value of the program may depend somewhat on where you want to go "in the end".

Take all of the above with a grain of salt, however. I am technically in the co-op program (along with at least 2/3 of the 1L JD class), but I haven't actually done a work term yet. ;)

-GM

Yeah, as an upper year I can confirm that this isn't really accurate. Most 1Ls across most Canadian law schools will be hard pressed to find any job in the legal field during their 1L summer. Any law-related experience on your CV, even if it isn't at a "big firm" will mean a LOT to future employers. Further, some big firms do, in fact, post co-op positions. They just aren't necessarily available to you during your 1L summer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, nrrrvous said:

Most 1Ls across most Canadian law schools will be hard pressed to find any job in the legal field during their 1L summer.

For sure, and I thought that much was obvious - but probably should have spelled it out. 1L jobs are indeed rare, and the co-op seems like a great way around that problem.

I'm a little confused by the rest of your post, though. Are you saying that UVic co-op students are more likely to succeed with OCI firms, by virtue of having done co-op jobs? It was my understanding that getting those interviews is mostly based on grades, and not whatever work you managed to get prior to 2L summer, but as a 1L I am very happy to be corrected.

Or are you mainly saying that having co-op experience is likely to help get a job in general

Thanks,

-GM

@GrumpyMountie You're saying it's hard and rare for 1L students to get co-op jobs in the summer yet 2/3 of your 1L class are in the co-op program? How does that make any sense? Doesn't seem to be hard.

Edited by Mihael

6 hours ago, Mihael said:

@GrumpyMountie You're saying it's hard and rare for 1L students to get co-op jobs in the summer yet 2/3 of your 1L class are in the co-op program? How does that make any sense? Doesn't seem to be hard.

Being in a coop program doesn't mean they have secured (or will ever find) a coop. You're misunderstanding what he meant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, SadNWO said:

Being in a coop program doesn't mean they have secured (or will ever find) a coop.

Correct. Thanks for pointing that out! I thought it would be obvious, but for greater clarity: being in the co-op program does not mean you actually have a work position secured. You still have to do that yourself; being in the program just means you have permission to apply to the posted co-op jobs and, importantly, the support of the co-op department in doing so.

In any case, what I actually said was:

On 11/30/2020 at 7:48 PM, GrumpyMountie said:

1L jobs are indeed rare, and the co-op seems like a great way around that problem.

I am not sure what was unclear about that, but just to re-iterate: the co-op program is a great way to potentially find law-related 1L work which, in general, can be a difficult thing to do.

-GM