Jump to content
zxcvbnm

Winter Break 2020-2021

Recommended Posts

Hi Pandemic 1Ls, 2Ls, and 3Ls across the country, 

How long is your winter break this year? My school's is only 16 days as opposed to a longer break last year. I personally think this is absurdly short.

Would you please respond with your school name/province of school + the amount of days? 

Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UVic JD 1L break is 18 clear days, by the look of it. It would be nice if it were a little longer, but being a mature student it will be the longest break I've had in over 10 years, so I'm not complaining. :)

-GM

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have this thing called "intersession" at UofT for upper years, so if you are taking an intersession course, you start on January 4. Otherwise, you start on January 11. I will not be doing intersession, plus my exams finish earlier, so I will have a total of 23 days off this winter break and I personally cannot wait.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cherrytree said:

We have this thing called "intersession" at UofT for upper years, so if you are taking an intersession course, you start on January 4. Otherwise, you start on January 11. I will not be doing intersession, plus my exams finish earlier, so I will have a total of 23 days off this winter break and I personally cannot wait.

Also, I believe for 1Ls this year it's 13 days, since papers are due on the last day of the semester (21st) and their classes start the same week as intersession.

Intersession is also a requirement for graduation, so upper years have to do it in either 2L or 3L.

tl;dr

U of T 1Ls get 13 days (I believe they all have papers due)

2Ls and 3Ls who have papers this semester and do an intersession next semester also get 13 days

2Ls and 3Ls who have papers this semester but don't do intersession next semester get 20 days

2Ls and 3Ls who only have exam courses have some amount greater than 20 days, such as cherrytree's 23 days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JusticeLordDenning said:

18 days for a 1L at Western, honestly not bad. However, the undergrads get an extra week off... 

We're getting an extra week off too, it just won't be an extension of winter break. There should be a poll in the class FB groups for when you'd prefer the new week off to be if you haven't seen that yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FortifiedEight said:

Also, I believe for 1Ls this year it's 13 days, since papers are due on the last day of the semester (21st) and their classes start the same week as intersession.

Intersession is also a requirement for graduation, so upper years have to do it in either 2L or 3L.

tl;dr

U of T 1Ls get 13 days (I believe they all have papers due)

2Ls and 3Ls who have papers this semester and do an intersession next semester also get 13 days

2Ls and 3Ls who have papers this semester but don't do intersession next semester get 20 days

2Ls and 3Ls who only have exam courses have some amount greater than 20 days, such as cherrytree's 23 days.

Poor 1Ls. Yeah, they all have papers due because small group is only in Fall term and everyone has their final small group assignment due by the written work deadline, the 21st. Aside from the scenarios you already described, some competitive moots have factums due before Christmas so that will take up some extra days as well.

(As per usual, @FortifiedEight comes through with actually helpful data and information while I only preen with my 3L privilege 😉 )

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 days is absurdly short? you do realize that most practicing lawyers would absolutely love to take off 16 days in a row. I’ve taken 2 consecutive weeks off exactly once, for my honeymoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wakawaka said:

16 days is absurdly short? you do realize that most practicing lawyers would absolutely love to take off 16 days in a row. I’ve taken 2 consecutive weeks off exactly once, for my honeymoon.

great! i'm a tired, pandemic law student who is struggling with online learning and i was hoping for some more time off. 

quite frankly, i don't care about your vacation status as a practicing lawyer right now. maybe work harder and you'll get to take some more time off work (since we're judging each other here). 

Edited by zxcvbnm
  • Like 8
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

everyone else, thank you for your input :) keep it coming from the other schools not yet mentioned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zxcvbnm said:

great! i'm a tired, pandemic law student who is struggling with online learning and i was hoping for some more time off. 

quite frankly, i don't care about your vacation status as a practicing lawyer right now. maybe work harder and you'll get to take some more time off work (since we're judging each other here). 

not judging, just offering a bit of perspective. hope you have a restful break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 20 days at U of A. Our January semester  got pushed back a week from January 4 to the 11th,

Edited by AJD19
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 7:04 PM, FortifiedEight said:

Also, I believe for 1Ls this year it's 13 days, since papers are due on the last day of the semester (21st) and their classes start the same week as intersession.

Intersession is also a requirement for graduation, so upper years have to do it in either 2L or 3L.

tl;dr

U of T 1Ls get 13 days (I believe they all have papers due)

2Ls and 3Ls who have papers this semester and do an intersession next semester also get 13 days

2Ls and 3Ls who have papers this semester but don't do intersession next semester get 20 days

2Ls and 3Ls who only have exam courses have some amount greater than 20 days, such as cherrytree's 23 days.

I have 20 days due to no intersession. This would be excellent if I didn’t also have to start and finish a moot factum over the break. After my early deadline I will have 4 days before class starts. I like writing, but a complete, stressless break would have been nice. Guess I did it to myself.

Edited by Notnotadog
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like 16 here at UBC. I would like more, but who wouldn’t? Don’t want to get to used to not suffering or else I’ll never want to go back. 
 

More importantly, what are you guys getting up to to destress this winter break? 

Edited by PlatoandSocrates
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 12:57 AM, PlatoandSocrates said:

Looks like 16 here at UBC. I would like more, but who wouldn’t? Don’t want to get to used to not suffering or else I’ll never want to go back. 
 

More importantly, what are you guys getting up to to destress this winter break? 

Everything is closed where I am at so I'll be home like I have been for the rest of the year :( Hoping to have a warm and cozy break with some productive cleaning/ re-vamping for a more comfortable work environment for the next semester. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, zxcvbnm said:

Everything is closed where I am at so I'll be home like I have been for the rest of the year :( Hoping to have a warm and cozy break with some productive cleaning/ re-vamping for a more comfortable work environment for the next semester. 

Yeah there’s not too much to do over here either... Oh well, productive cleaning at home should be a welcome change of pace after exam week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...