Hey just wondering my chances of getting in this year. 

cGPA: 85.2 with drops (self-calculated)

LSAT: 161

Thanks!

Low, unfortunately :( Unless you are applying through discretionary - in that case it would be hard to tell. 

Your predicted index is 91.39 (over 92 is safe) and this year so far is looking like it may turn out to be more competitive than usual. 

I would agree with the previous response - are you thinking of retaking the LSAT in January? A few more points might help in bringing your index up! Best of luck :)

2 hours ago, Firecracker said:

Low, unfortunately :( Unless you are applying through discretionary - in that case it would be hard to tell. 

Your predicted index is 91.39 (over 92 is safe) and this year so far is looking like it may turn out to be more competitive than usual. 

why do you think it is more competitive this year? 

5 minutes ago, RJ2012 said:

why do you think it is more competitive this year? 

There seems to be a trend of more people applying which usually means that the competition will rise. I'm not sure how much more competitive it will be, but that's my guess.

I applied last year with an 84.5 cGPA and 161 LSAT. I was #15 on the waitlist but ultimately didn't get in as there was no movement on the waitlist this year. Hope this might give you an idea of your chances!

2 hours ago, Lawstudent1998 said:

I applied last year with an 84.5 cGPA and 161 LSAT. I was #15 on the waitlist but ultimately didn't get in as there was no movement on the waitlist this year. Hope this might give you an idea of your chances!

Thank you so much! This is really helpful

19 hours ago, Firecracker said:

There seems to be a trend of more people applying which usually means that the competition will rise. I'm not sure how much more competitive it will be, but that's my guess.

There was a thread floating in the general discussion tab with a link from LSAC that suggests the opposite https://report.lsac.org/ThreeYearComparison.aspx

It doesn't explicitly say Canadian schools and Canadian applicants as a whole, but the numbers for past years (between 5 and 7k applicants) checks out. Even if the trend recovers it'll still be slightly lower. 

36 minutes ago, toastedguac said:

There was a thread floating in the general discussion tab with a link from LSAC that suggests the opposite https://report.lsac.org/ThreeYearComparison.aspx

I'd be happy to be wrong! I'm going off of what people were saying in regard to the applicant counts from Ontario schools like Oz and Western. It's odd how those numbers and the ones in that graphic are inconsistent with each other.

Edited by Firecracker

24 minutes ago, Firecracker said:

I'd be happy to be wrong! I'm going off of what people were saying in regard to the applicant counts from Ontario schools like Oz and Western. It's odd how those numbers and the ones in that graphic are inconsistent with each other.

They could be inconsistent and still check out. In regards to hearsay on this site, verba volant scripta manent. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, toastedguac said:

They could be inconsistent and still check out. In regards to hearsay on this site, verba volant scripta manent. 

Hey fair enough. The poster in the general discussion thread had a good point when they mentioned that law schools are still businesses. Data doesn't lie and you can't dispute that LSAC is one of the most reliable sources we have.

To take this home for OP: based on the new and more holistic admissions criteria that UBC claims to be using, your chances will mostly come down to your personal statement... competitive cycle or not. If you have a great one, you do have a chance. Unfortunately though your index really is quite low, so I also stand by what I said earlier.

Again, I'd be happy to be wrong. I'm cheering for you 🙂

53 minutes ago, Firecracker said:

Hey fair enough. The poster in the general discussion thread had a good point when they mentioned that law schools are still businesses. Data doesn't lie and you can't dispute that LSAC is one of the most reliable sources we have.

To take this home for OP: based on the new and more holistic admissions criteria that UBC claims to be using, your chances will mostly come down to your personal statement... competitive cycle or not. If you have a great one, you do have a chance. Unfortunately though your index really is quite low, so I also stand by what I said earlier.

Again, I'd be happy to be wrong. I'm cheering for you 🙂

Now that some have mentioned that universities are businesses after all, I can’t help but wonder if the UBC’s new “holistic” admissions criteria is in part a business move just to gain more applicants...

5 minutes ago, deliciouskiwi said:

Now that some have mentioned that universities are businesses after all, I can’t help but wonder if the UBC’s new “holistic” admissions criteria is in part a business move just to gain more applicants...

Maybe! It gives them more pathos, that's for sure. But I don't think that they'd be doing it solely for reputation or numbers. They already had plenty of numbers. I do think that they mostly did it to draw in more applicants with lower stats but great experiences who wouldn't otherwise apply. After all, their greatest asset as a business is sending out lots of successful lawyers.

I've referenced this once before, but in an earlier thread I heard about someone with a 93+ index getting rejected due to a bad statement. And in last year's acceptance threads I saw one person waitlisted while someone with the same stats got accepted. So there's evidence that they're following through with their criteria to an extent.

• Like 1

I got in last year with a 163/ 84.? - I'm not sure of the exact number. I wasn't waitlisted or anything but I did have to wait until the end of March to get an answer. However, I think my PS really helped. If you can, definitely sign up and re-take the LSAT. Your GPA is good, you might just want to consider trying for a few more points on the LSAT. 

• Like 1