5abi

Upgrading undergrad marks

Delayed decision from 2015, but eh, never too late. 

My undergrad GPA is 2.3, MBA 3.6. 

I was debating upgrading my undergrad courses through next year, I'd need to take 7, get a 4.0 to up my L20 to 3.0.

How does UofC look upon this? favorably or unfavorably?

Also, do they consider Athabasca as the same as UofC? How about Mount Royal?

Thanks all

I just did this, it is a grind. Worth it in the end though. I took nine courses through Athabasca and spoke with someone from the U of C Faculty of Law who said it didn't matter which institution you took the courses through. I had to go through Athabasca because I continued to work full-time and couldn't commit to in-person classes (pre Covid). 

I hope this helps! Good luck! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, paulinab said:

I just did this, it is a grind. Worth it in the end though. I took nine courses through Athabasca and spoke with someone from the U of C Faculty of Law who said it didn't matter which institution you took the courses through. I had to go through Athabasca because I continued to work full-time and couldn't commit to in-person classes (pre Covid). 

I hope this helps! Good luck! 

Thank you for the reply Paulina! The UofC's phone is no longer taking calls - so that sucks.

I appreciate the input.

On 11/26/2020 at 9:15 AM, 5abi said:

Hi Malina,

Might a well ask this here:

I graduated in 2007 with a terrible 2.33 L2 20, after which I got my MBA (p/t) at UofC, while working full time, 3.66 over the degree.

During my undergrad I had some extenuating circumstances, undiagnosed mental health etc. however minor I don't think it'll help.

Any chance for me to apply to the UofC? or is upgrading my only option?

On 11/26/2020 at 8:52 AM, 5abi said:

Delayed decision from 2015, but eh, never too late. 

My undergrad GPA is 2.3, MBA 3.6. 

I was debating upgrading my undergrad courses through next year, I'd need to take 7, get a 4.0 to up my L20 to 3.0.

How does UofC look upon this? favorably or unfavorably?

Also, do they consider Athabasca as the same as UofC? How about Mount Royal?

Thanks all

While a strength in one area of the application may help overcome a relative weakness in another, we do recommend that applicants be aware of our typical average statistics. The average GPA tends to be around 3.63-3.66 on a 4.0 scale, based on your last 20 undergrad half-courses. Statistics can be found on our Five Year Comparison Chart.

If you apply and are not admitted, you do have the option to reapply in a future application cycle. There is no stigma attached to being a reapplicant, though we do want to see that reapplicants have put some effort into making their new application more competitive. There are always students who were reapplicants in our first-year class.

Upgrading to raise your GPA is always considered a positive thing in our assessment. Many people have lower grades in their earlier academic work, for a variety of reasons, which is why we base our GPA calculation on your last 20 half-courses.

To raise your GPA, you can take more undergraduate courses through either another bachelor’s degree program or open studies. Courses must be completed no later than December 31 of the year you submit your application to be considered. Please note that continuing education, diploma, certificate, and graduate courses cannot be used in the GPA calculation.

Cheers!

Malina

@UofC Admissions Hi Malina, how about Continuing Education courses that are degree level and can be applied for undergraduate credit? Ryerson University in Ontario through their Chang School offers such courses, mostly in the evening so its convenient for people who are working in the day. OLSAS recognizes them, but I'm curious if anyone outside of Ontario would.

On 12/1/2020 at 1:34 PM, UofC Admissions said:

Please note that continuing education, diploma, certificate, and graduate courses cannot be used in the GPA calculation.

Cheers!

Malina