exocytosis646

What are the most diverse law schools?

As a brown person/minority, its super important for me to attend a school with a lot of diversity.

Just wondering what schools are the most diverse? Bonus points: if a decent brown/desi population :)

• Like 1

Laws schools usually publish this data for each years class, either on the website for admissions, or in their viewbook for the year

I know queens, western, and Osgoode do for sure.

26 minutes ago, DeepThree02 said:

As a brown person/minority, its super important for me to attend a school with a lot of diversity.

Just wondering what schools are the most diverse? Bonus points: if a decent brown/desi population :)

i don't see why it is "important" for you or anyone who is a "visible minority'.' 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

40 minutes ago, DeepThree02 said:

I'm not here to argue with your priorities. But if you carry this into legal practice after law school, you're going to severely limit your options. Just saying.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but looking at class profiles, it seems like every law school has "brown" students entering every year so you will find them wherever you go however, is it because you want a diverse population or attend a school with "desi" students. Schools can be diverse and still not have brown students. Either way, I don't think it should be a deciding factor. You will meet all sorts of people in the legal industry and working/studying with them in law school will prepare you for those interactions that you would miss out on if you're confined to a circle of your own people. :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Diplock said:

I'm not here to argue with your priorities. But if you carry this into legal practice after law school, you're going to severely limit your options. Just saying.

Good luck.

I'm genuinely curious how placing value on being part of a diverse population might limit one in their law practice? Is it more an issue with OP's preference for a large desi population?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

i don't see why it is "important" for you or anyone who is a "visible minority'.' 

Shocked that in 2020 this is still a question being asked. I could wager a(n educated) guess as to why being in a diverse community and being around other brown people would be important to OP, but I also don't see why we'd need that question answered regardless? 

4 minutes ago, Diplock said:

Good luck.

True enough but I think that's important to many people. As a woman I wouldn't want to work at a firm where I am the only female. We all have our reasons for sifting out various firms. Some people only want to work on Bay street, some only want to work for a firm with reasonable working hours, some only want to work for a firm that actively seeks to have a diverse workforce. 

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, 618194 said:

Laws schools usually publish this data for each years class, either on the website for admissions, or in their viewbook for the year

I know queens, western, and Osgoode do for sure.

Ok thank you!

BTW, OP, I don't think you'll find much tangible difference in the overall diversity between Canadian law schools. They're all fairly diverse (at least more so than the Canadian population at large). Larger cities might attract a more diverse cohort. I can't speak to the prevalence of desi/brown folks at any school though. 

19 minutes ago, GoblinKing said:

You don't see the value in being surrounded by diverse cultural perspectives, while at the same time having a decent cohort of people who share your ethnic experiences? May I hazard a guess and say you're white and have had the privilege of being surrounded by people who look like you in nearly every environment you've entered?

hahaha exactly this, if someone isnt a person of color, they have no way of knowing why I value diversity so much!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Diplock said:

Good luck.

Diversity has been, and always will be important to me.

I'm not sure why you think this would severely limit my options. Going to a school with a sizeable person of color/minority population, as well living in a city with these factors are extremely important to me. 

• Like 5

If I had to guess, I'd say U of T, Osgoode, Ryerson, and UBC. There is sometimes a preference to study closer to home in the Desi community (or at least on the part of Desi parents) so I'd imagine that the schools in larger urban centers might have larger Desi populations. I haven't included McGill or other Montreal schools as English-French bilingualism is less common in the Desi community outside of Quebec and there aren't many Desis in Quebec.

Having said that, the schools that I've mentioned don't just serve the local populations and are amongst the most selective in the country. You'll find Desi people pretty much everywhere.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LawBlaw2019 said:

True enough but I think that's important to many people. As a woman I wouldn't want to work at a firm where I am the only female. We all have our reasons for sifting out various firms. Some people only want to work on Bay street, some only want to work for a firm with reasonable working hours, some only want to work for a firm that actively seeks to have a diverse workforce. 

Yeah, that's fair. And like I said, I'm really not here to argue with anyone's priorities. But it's information that many people/students may not have. Through school, etc. people can self-select into environments where they feel most comfortable without paying almost any price for their choices. The option is basically cost-free. Out in the real world...less so. Sometimes dramatically less so.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DeepThree02 said:

hahaha exactly this, if someone isnt a person of color, they have no way of knowing why I value diversity so much!

Still, it's certainly valuable to interact with lots of people of varying races and ethnic backgrounds rather than seeking refuge amongst your own culture. Forgive me if I mistook the tone of the latter part of your post. 

4 minutes ago, GoblinKing said:

BTW, OP, I don't think you'll find much tangible difference in the overall diversity between Canadian law schools. They're all fairly diverse (at least more so than the Canadian population at large). Larger cities might attract a more diverse cohort. I can't speak to the prevalence of desi/brown folks at any school though. 

Yeah thats what I guessing as well.

Cities like Vancouver, Toronto which are extremely diverse probably have schools with a lot of diversity as well.

Thanks so much!

3 minutes ago, DeepThree02 said:

This is 2020 mate, diversity is extremely important to me. 

2 minutes ago, DeepThree02 said:

Everyone keeps saying it's 2020 as if that is a sufficient and unquestionable qualification on their opinion. As a POC myself, I don't share the same sentiment as OP and couldn't care less if everyone around me was white. I think you're entitled to your opinion and have the right to go and inquire about diversity, but I don't think you ought to assume that all POC feel the same way, or that your sentiments should be self-evident to everyone else (white or non-white).  

In any event, class profiles with diversity stats are available on pretty much every school site. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1