splittinrocks

Lacking confidence due to increase in applications

I scored a 167 on the November LSAT, but I am worried I will still end up being rejected based on the massive increase to applications this cycle. I had been banking on the hypothesis covid would decrease the amount of applications, this trend is totally bizarre based on both common sense and LSAC data.

I feel that I am otherwise a rather uncompetitive applicant, with only a 2.91 cGPA and a 3.57 L2 on a 4.0 scale. At the very least, I believe I wrote a solid personal statement. 

What do you guys think, how has covid affected the odds of admission?

I don't think Covid will have any impact on your application.

Your LSAT is good but your L2 is below 3.7. You have a less than 50% chance with it with Covid.

Any reasons for the  lower grades?

Edited by Luckycharm

Well it will impact everyone's chances of admittance given the drastic spike in applications. Obviously I do have my reasons but I didn't feel that they were significant enough to apply in the access rather than the general category. At least I am not as down on my chances as you are, I don't know where you would be getting this probability from.  

10 minutes ago, splittinrocks said:

Well it will impact everyone's chances of admittance given the drastic spike in applications. Obviously I do have my reasons but I didn't feel that they were significant enough to apply in the access rather than the general category. At least I am not as down on my chances as you are, I don't know where you would be getting this probability from.  

What is the source for you to conclude there has been a massive spike in applications? Not saying you're wrong, just curious what the source of the data is. 

Do keep in mind that even with increased applications, this does not necessarily mean the overall competitiveness of applications has increased. In any event, you've applied and therefore it is out of your hands now. Try and direct your attention to not worrying about variabilities now outside your control and focus your attentions on matters within your control. Best of luck! 

Edited by LeoandCharlie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, splittinrocks said:

He's probably using the Law Applicants predictor that's pinned to the top of the forum. He's not being a negative nancy -- he's already in a law school I believe. It's more just being realistic about what's happening and trying to help you figure out how you might be able to have a shot. 

1 minute ago, goodisgood said:

He's probably using the Law Applicants predictor that's pinned to the top of the forum. He's not being a negative nancy -- he's already in a law school I believe. It's more just being realistic about what's happening and trying to help you figure out how you might be able to have a shot. 

Called to the Bar a few years now

Ottawa put a lot of emphasis on GPA. 

4 minutes ago, goodisgood said:

Said predictor has outdated data and as such is somewhat useless but even it rates my chances as "very good" which I would have to imagine is greater than 50%. Further than this, I have literally never seen a 167 rejected or even waitlisted in the forums here.

The only reason I am concerned is due to the spike in applications. which appears to have risen by about 500 from the previous year. As such, any discussion using outdated data isnt really helpful, and just blatantly incorrect if you're going to say my chances based on prior data is below 50%

Also I want to make it clear I'm not saying there isn't an argument to be made I have a bad chance for this cycle, but the prompt was very clearly asking about the rise in applications and just typing my numbers into the predictor, which I've obviously already done like just about everyone else here, isn't helpful.

55 minutes ago, LeoandCharlie said:

What is the source for you to conclude there has been a massive spike in applications? Not saying you're wrong, just curious what the source of the data is. 

Do keep in mind that even with increased applications, this does not necessarily mean the overall competitiveness of applications has increased. In any event, you've applied and therefore it is out of your hands now. Try and direct your attention to not worrying about variabilities now outside your control and focus your attentions on matters within your control. Best of luck! 

When Western sent out their "application received" emails, they said they had 2700+ applications this year. In the last few years, it has been about 2100. From other threads I've seen, it looks like each ontario school has about 600 more applicants.

• Like 3

I think something that's also important to consider is that the increase in applications doesn't necessarily mean these extra applications are actually good. I imagine a decent number of people are applying to Law School and Grad School haphazardly to try ride out the recession - it's not indicative that these extra 500 or so applicants actually have a better shot than you.

If its any consolation, I'm in the exact same boat as you (167/3.4CGPA/3.57L2) - we just gotta have faith in our applications and hope for the best.

Sending good vibes your way.

• Like 4

Same to you, hope everyone can get into their school of choices. I had been thinking in my head the whole time "well this is the perfect year to apply applications must be lower this year" and then not only are they not lower, they've risen massively. But yes thats a good point, it could very well be there are far more applicants that have generally bad stats this year than in a usual year, and then there'd be no impact on chances.

3 hours ago, LeoandCharlie said:

In any event, you've applied and therefore it is out of your hands now. Try and direct your attention to not worrying about variabilities now outside your control and focus your attentions on matters within your control. Best of luck! 

I would absolutely echo this. I know that waiting for admissions decisions is one of the most frustrating and difficult parts of the process - I've been there. I'm sure it's even harder this year knowing that there are more applications than usual and not knowing what effect that may have on your chances. However you could be waiting for a few months before you get decisions, and being stressed about what's out of your hands during all that time isn't healthy. Do anything you can to focus on other things and soon enough you'll hear from the schools you applied to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Ottawa put a lot of emphasis on GPA. 

This is the UWO subforum. Their stats (3.57 and 167) make them a lock IMO.