RJ2012

TRU Law - Worth it?

I've heard a lot of mixed things about TRU Law. Some say it is as good as any other Canadian Law School considering there aren't many and others say it is harder to get a job afterwards due to the fact that TRU law is relatively new. What do you guys think!

12 minutes ago, RJ2012 said:

others say it is harder to get a job afterwards due to the fact that TRU law is relatively new.

The actual statistics: 96% of TRU Law students have a job lined up before  graduation.

The % of students securing big law position in Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton has increased year-over-year, I think it's around 30% right now.

If your goal is to work in BC or Alberta, you won't have any trouble finding work with a TRU law degree. 

TRU is lacking in alumni out east, which makes it harder to rely on the alumni network if you're trying to work in Toronto, but that's slowly changing. Most TRU students are from BC/Alberta, so not many TRU alumni even try to work in Ontario. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

Although my ideal school is UBC in this case would you recommend going to TRU law because any law school in Canada is essentially good enough, or take a year off and improve my LSAT score to go to UBC?

1 minute ago, RJ2012 said:

Although my ideal school is UBC in this case would you recommend going to TRU law because any law school in Canada is essentially good enough, or take a year off and improve my LSAT score to go to UBC?

What are your career goals?

56 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

What are your career goals?

To work at a decently sized corporate firm in Vancouver 

9 minutes ago, RJ2012 said:

Plenty of TRU grads are working in decently sized corporate firms in Vancouver, so by that metric then yes, it would be worth it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJ2012 said:

Then you should attend UBC/TRU/UVic. These should be your top 3 (probably UBC at #1 and TRU/UVic closely follows).

It's up to you to decide whether UBC's location + lower tuition is worth putting law school off for a year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

Plenty of TRU grads are working in decently sized corporate firms in Vancouver, so by that metric then yes, it would be worth it. 

Perfect that helps a lot thank you so much! 

2 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

Then you should attend UBC/TRU/UVic. These should be your top 3 (probably UBC at #1 and TRU/UVic closely follows).

It's up to you to decide whether UBC's location + lower tuition is worth putting law school off for a year.

It's going to suck moving away and paying for rent as well in TRU but I don't want to take the risk of having a gap year and still not getting a good enough LSAT score for UBC so I'd rather just attend TRU in that case (if I get in) fingers crossed! 

Ive talked to more than a few TRU grads at Fasken, Blake’s and a bunch of the other larger firms. I’d definitely say it’s not a disadvantage if you’re planning on working in BC. But only if you’re willing to pay the higher tuition. 

• Like 1