Seekingredemption

Good Books Before Law School

Do any of the more experienced users here- or anyone really-have any recommendations for good books I can read before 1L?

I’m open to anything! I want to improve my preparedness and get the right mentality down before I start.

Thanks! 

Read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It will remind you of the critical need to behave ethically even when the law does not require you to. 

• Like 6

Neuromancer

A Canticle for Leibowitz

No Great Mischief 

All the Light We Cannot See

Fooled by Randomness and Antifragile 

These are some of my favourite books. The point is, take this opportunity to read purely for enjoyment because you will probably get pretty sick of words on paper during law school. 

• Like 5

Just now, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

-snip-

A Canticle for Leibowitz

-snip-

A Canticle for Leibowitz is criminally underrated. 

I'm assuming you've also read Anathem by Neal Stephenson if you're a fan of Liebowitz? If not you should give it a go!

2 minutes ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

A Canticle for Leibowitz is criminally underrated. 

I'm assuming you've also read Anathem by Neal Stephenson if you're a fan of Liebowitz? If not you should give it a go!

You know what, I haven't. I could not get into Snow Crash or The Diamond Age and I haven't tried Stephenson since but Anathem sounds very different than those books.

• Like 1

Read all the fictional narratives you've been meaning to. I didn't read any fiction during law school because I was burnt out after reading my textbooks each week. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BringBackCrunchBerries said:

You know what, I haven't. I could not get into Snow Crash or The Diamond Age and I haven't tried Stephenson since but Anathem sounds very different than those books.

Stephenson can be a bit off-putting at times. I have a soft spot for Snow Crash, but really disliked The Diamond Age.

I feel Anathem is his best work, and is usually the book I'd recommend to people who haven't read any of his stuff. It has similar themes to A Canticle for Liebowitz which is why I thought you might dig it.

East of Eden

The Brothers Karamazov

Crime and Punishment 

Shakespeare 

Tolstoy

Faulkner

Anything long or difficult that’s completely worth it, but you won’t have the motivation to read once you’re in the thick of it. 

• Like 2