exocytosis646

Does ryerson really calculate your gpa using only your best 20 credits of you entire degree?

I'm very confused how this grading system would work. 

Basically if i had 20 courses with a 4.0 in my entire degree, my gpa would be calculated as 20 courses?

So could i use 5 courses from each yr of undergrad (assuming I had a 4.0 in atleast 5), and id have a 4.0 correct?

8 minutes ago, culitigator said:

I believe this is correct. It's your 20 highest courses throughout your whole degree, regardless of when you got them. 

So not even B2? Just 20 highest- regardless of summer or spring right.

Damn thats actually easy asf to get into ryerson then

49 minutes ago, exocytosis646 said:

So not even B2? Just 20 highest- regardless of summer or spring right.

Damn thats actually easy asf to get into ryerson then

Hmm, but all your competition would have a super high GPA too then though.

16 minutes ago, SNAILS said:

Yea exactly^. And I think even though some schools say they evaluate u on your top 20 credits/B2/L2, etc., I think it would be naïve of us to think that they completely ignore your overall gpa. 

• Like 1

Everyone's B20 is calculated the same way. It is advantageous though if your academic record is especially inconsistent. Ryerson's admissions process is fairly holistic though, so you'll need more than 20 strong courses to get in.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SNAILS said:

Exactly this. OP; rethink your original point. If everyone in the applicant pool benefits from the same formula, and Ryerson has a fixed number of seats (which they do, of course), then this formula says nothing about how easy it is to get into Ryerson.

What it does say is that it rewards those who have inconsistent greatness (say, 2 years of 4.0 and 2 years of 3.0), in comparison to those with consistent okay-ness (say, 4 straight years of 3.6). Candidate 1 would have a 4.0 per RU, and Candidate 2 would have (obviously) a 3.6.

I wouldn't say that makes it easy. It's just another slightly different admissions formula that's now floating out there. To the extent that different schools benefit people with different profiles, I like to think this benefits everyone in the end.* :)

-GM

* Thus repeating the original fallacy, now that I think about it. ;)

• Like 2

To my knowledge, Ryerson has not posted stats about GPA and LSAT from last year's admissions.

We'll know a lot more this year based on the stats of the people on this forum who get in and those who do not.

Looking at last year's acceptance thread, stats seem to be relatively low compared to other schools. I'm seeing a lot of LSATs in the 152 to 159 range, and a lot of CGPA's  and B2's in the 3.5 to 3.7 range.

Look for yourselves if you are interested. It is hard for me to summarize without writing down numbers formally.

Nobody seems to be talking about their best 20 courses, but one would imagine that most students would have a better average in their best 20 courses than in their B2. A person's best 20 courses couldn't really be worse than their B2, could it?  

• Like 1