Jump to content
LawStu2021

Need some advice - January or next year?

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I'm in a bit of a bind and needed some help. Any advice you can offer would be great! :)

I sat for the November LSAT but I have a feeling that I didn't do well at all. It was my first time, and my nerves got the best of me. I wanted to buy the score preview option but didn't really want to spend $45 USD at a time like this, when there's no guarantee that I won't be laid off next month. It was a hard choice but I wasn't in a position financially to do so. 

I can either submit the application and risk UBC looking at the lower score (I will be sitting for the exam again in January), and email them to let them know to wait, or I can apply next year. I'm just stressed because my GPA (at around 76%) puts me in the splitter category and I need a really high LSAT to offset that. I have time until January to study my butt off, but I don't know how much the low score + low GPA combo will disadvantage my application for the time being.

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks so much guys.

P.S I now realize that I should have cancelled my score, but I didn't on the off chance that I just think I did really badly but I actually didn't... (yeah dumb, I know now but didn't want the $200 USD to go to waste)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LawStu2021 said:

I didn't on the off chance that I just think I did really badly but I actually didn't... (yeah dumb, I know now but didn't want the $200 USD to go to waste)

Hey! Give yourself a break!

You were on the right train of thought. Lots of people feel like they did awful and end up doing totally fine. Even if you don't score well, nothing bad is going to happen if you tell UBC that you're retaking the LSAT in January. They only look at your highest score so any lower scores won't even be on their radar.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for your help! Should I go ahead and apply with the low score, and ask them to wait for my January score? 
Or should I just study and apply next year?

thank you once again :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawStu2021 said:

Thank you so much for your help! Should I go ahead and apply with the low score, and ask them to wait for my January score? 

Do this 🙂 Although you can't be sure you even scored low quite yet! Even if you did, I personally think you should still apply anyway and write in January. Might as well give this cycle your best shot, right?

Also, are you able to apply discretionary to explain your grades? If so, that might help you with your splitter status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I talked to admissions, they said they do not reject anyone until Jan lsat scores are in. So there's literally no harm in applying now and taking it again in Jan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...