Sign in to follow this  
exocytosis646

Does UofA law school look at my grades the yr I apply?

Basically if i applied as either a 2nd yr or a 3rd yr, would they look at my marks the yr i applied?

If i applied as a 2nd yr- they would look at my first yr marks to give me an initial offer...... then I assume they would give me a conditional offer (and I would have to make sure my grades in 2nd yr would be maintained- for a final offer to be given)?

Can someone clarify if this is how it works?

And if i applied as a 3rd yr- my 1st and 2nd yr grades would be used for an inital offer- and i would have to maintain my 3rd yr grades at a certain standard?

I would guess that they look at fall marks of the year you apply. Not an expert but I think getting into law with only two years of undergrad would be unlikely. 

According to the admissions person I spoke to last year no 2nd year has been accepted in the past 5 or so years so I wouldn't plan around going that route.

As a 3rd year they will use your first two years for an admission offer and possibly your first semester of your third year depending on which point of the admission cycle they are at, as far as I'm aware. 

In regards to maintaining your 3rd year grades, I'm not sure about this and am waiting for a reply from admissions so I'll update when they get back to me. I know they require a copy of your first semester results with second term registration but make no mention of requiring second term results.

If you are in the last year of your undergraduate degree, they will wait for your fall semester marks before reviewing your complete application.

If you are in your second year, then I believe the criteria is slightly different. You can visit https://www.ualberta.ca/law/programs/jd/admissions/index.html. It explains what the admissions process looks like for "Two Year Applicants."

Edited by legallybound

15 hours ago, legallybound said:

If you are in the last year of your undergraduate degree, they will wait for your fall semester marks before reviewing your complete application.

Are you sure about this? I was told that as long as you had 60 official credits they would still offer an acceptance if your stats were solid. Maybe I misunderstood the admissions officer. I've also heard anecdotes from students being accepted in December before their fall semester courses were complete.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HotDiggity said:

Are you sure about this? I was told that as long as you had 60 official credits they would still offer an acceptance if your stats were solid. Maybe I misunderstood the admissions officer. I've also heard anecdotes from students being accepted in December before their fall semester courses were complete.

Not an expert, but I think if your stats are solid they do admit before fall grades, but based on past accepted threads, it seems like the majority of acceptances are January and later so I can see it being highly plausible that they would look at fall grades. I would imagine that if you were in your second or third year, they'd probably be more likely to wait than if you were in your fourth, seeing as you'd have less  upper year / advanced classes than other applicants. 

4 hours ago, HotDiggity said:

I emailed them and they told me that they will not not look at my application until my fall grades come in. So not too sure how accurate it is receiving an offer before your fall grades are completed.

On 11/26/2020 at 3:07 PM, HotDiggity said:

According to the admissions person I spoke to last year no 2nd year has been accepted in the past 5 or so years so I wouldn't plan around going that route.

As a 3rd year they will use your first two years for an admission offer and possibly your first semester of your third year depending on which point of the admission cycle they are at, as far as I'm aware. 

In regards to maintaining your 3rd year grades, I'm not sure about this and am waiting for a reply from admissions so I'll update when they get back to me. I know they require a copy of your first semester results with second term registration but make no mention of requiring second term results.

which grades did they use for you? first year and second year? and then also first semester of third year?