exocytosis646

How competitive would my GPA/LSAT scores need to be to get accepted as a 3rd yr?

I know UofC rarely accepts 3rd yrs (but they still do). I know getting an offer as a 3rd yr, indicates you have extremely competitive stats/ ECs.

I'm just curious how stellar my stats would need to be to get in as a 3rd yr?

*PS please nobody tell me to wait till 4th yr or finish undergrad- cause I am applying to multiple schools across Canada as a 3rd yr (and UofA as a 2nd yr), so regardless, i'm most likely not finishing my undergrad. 

I had a 4.0/167 and was advised by a former admissions staff member to wait. That was five years ago, but I can't imagine things have gotten significantly less competitive since then. I waited a year and wound up being admitted very early in the cycle.

2 hours ago, unsospiro said:

I had a 4.0/167 and was advised by a former admissions staff member to wait. That was five years ago, but I can't imagine things have gotten significantly less competitive since then. I waited a year and wound up being admitted very early in the cycle.

I know the average gpa of UofC acceptees is a 3.6-3.7, so if im above a 3.85.... i feel that should be competitive enough.

And honestly i cant wait an yr- im only applying to law schools in 3rd yr (ubc, uofA, and a few ontario ones- that do commonly take in 3rd yrs), so I dont have the opportunity to wait

9 minutes ago, exocytosis646 said:

I know the average gpa of UofC acceptees is a 3.6-3.7, so if im above a 3.85.... i feel that should be competitive enough.

And honestly i cant wait an yr- im only applying to law schools in 3rd yr (ubc, uofA, and a few ontario ones- that do commonly take in 3rd yrs), so I dont have the opportunity to wait

Why can't you wait a year?

4 hours ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

Why can't you wait a year?

Well im applying to all the others schools i mentioned anyways in 3rd yr

So theres no point waiting one yr just for a single school you know. 

14 minutes ago, exocytosis646 said:

Well im applying to all the others schools i mentioned anyways in 3rd yr

So theres no point waiting one yr just for a single school you know. 

Understand that you're applying to all of these other schools as a third year, but I'm not clear on why you're in such a rush to do so.

Your initial question was about how stellar your stats would have to be as a third year in order to be competitive. @unsospiro 's advice above is going to hold true across the board. If being competitive is important, well, you'll be more competitive as an applicant with a degree than as a third year.

So what's the rush?

I think it's difficult to answer this question for you because it doesn't happen often enough to get an average or a trend of what is necessary. I think it just needs to be clear to the school that you are able to succeed in Law school. I know that for a lot of undergraduate degrees the 4th year is harder than the rest so that's why they might want to see if you can do the more challenging courses. They might be flexible if you took a more difficult degree (e.g. if you did STEM vs. Fine Arts). Or maybe you took on fuller course loads etc. 

I would say at this point if you're set on applying without finishing, just get an incredible LSAT score 170+, and hope for the best. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

Understand that you're applying to all of these other schools as a third year, but I'm not clear on why you're in such a rush to do so.

Your initial question was about how stellar your stats would have to be as a third year in order to be competitive. @unsospiro 's advice above is going to hold true across the board. If being competitive is important, well, you'll be more competitive as an applicant with a degree than as a third year.

So what's the rush?

it's also apparently a more competitive cycle this year, so I don't get the rush either but whatever floats OP's boat! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, legallybrunette3 said:

I think it's difficult to answer this question for you because it doesn't happen often enough to get an average or a trend of what is necessary. I think it just needs to be clear to the school that you are able to succeed in Law school. I know that for a lot of undergraduate degrees the 4th year is harder than the rest so that's why they might want to see if you can do the more challenging courses. They might be flexible if you took a more difficult degree (e.g. if you did STEM vs. Fine Arts). Or maybe you took on fuller course loads etc. 

I would say at this point if you're set on applying without finishing, just get an incredible LSAT score 170+, and hope for the best. 

im in a stem degree- and i really dont want to do a 4th yr- as that is when thesis and all that is due, and have to pay another yr of tuition

Based on my research getting into all the schools i listed (except for uofc) as a 3rd yr isnt overly difficult (3rd yr apps arent viewed any differently than 4th yr)

And additionally, im betting my grades/gpa (CGPA) will be a lot higher as a 3rd yr applicant, because i want my first yr grades to be included in my GPA- and L60 would not include those if i applied in 4th yr.

53 minutes ago, legallybrunette3 said:

it's also apparently a more competitive cycle this year, so I don't get the rush either but whatever floats OP's boat! 

I'm not applying this yr- im applying in 2 yrs 

1 hour ago, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

So what's the rush?

Being competitve as a 3rd yr for uofC is my main question.

For most other schools, being a 3rd yr or being a 4th yr doesnt impact anything- and im confident ill get into those schools as a 3rd yr.

My only question had to do specifically with applying to uofC as a 3rd yr..... anything extraneous isnt really helpful

6 minutes ago, exocytosis646 said:

For most other schools, being a 3rd yr or being a 4th yr doesnt impact anything...

Wouldn't be so sure about that, but best of luck to you! Hope that you get in given your determination.

• Haha 1

This is the 13th thread you've created about this grand plan of yours in the span of four days. You're planning to apply in two years, so right now, you don't have any final grades and aren't close to taking the LSAT. 

You're wasting everyone's time. 

Edited by Tagger
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, exocytosis646 said:

I'm not applying this yr- im applying in 2 yrs 

So you don’t even know if you have a 3.85? You’re just assuming you will? Get it first then worry about it

Edited by legallybrunette3

Other point no ones mentioned, you have no clue how you'll do on the LSAT. I know a girl with a 4.0 that got a 155 and I scored 178 and 179 on timed practice tests, had a 175 practice test average on my last 20 practice tests and still ended up with a 167 with my shitty 3.4-3.5. Planning to go in your third year is ridiculous. If it happens, great. But I surely wouldn't count on it (as in plan for it) unless you're genuinely a genius. And I don't mean smart, I genuinely mean a genius. There are so many factors going into a law application that honestly requires a lot of luck. Two bad classes or one bad LSAT could ruin your chances at 3rd year since the requirements are so high. So basically, ya try and if you get in great, but by no means should you write the lsat 3 times in your second year and screw around with your degree to try and get in third year. If it happens, it happens. 

Edited by ThomasShelby
missed a word lol

4 hours ago, legallybrunette3 said:

Please for the love of god never repeat this again.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, legallybrunette3 said:

😂... why? Is that a no-no?

Implying a Fine Arts degree is implicitly worse and/or easier than all STEM degrees...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, castlepie said:

Implying a Fine Arts degree is implicitly worse and/or easier than all STEM degrees...

I didn’t say it’s worse. 

I said (as one possible example of an inability to predict admissions)  it’s possible it might be seen as more reflective of a students ability to handle academically tougher material. I stand by that. I also say that as somebody that has two degrees, one in each. 

Edited by legallybrunette3
  • Like 1