emlaw

Letters of recommendation questio

Hey all!  

I noticed on Dal's website for their LOR protocol it says: "Referees must send the references directly to the Admissions Office by mail, fax or from a professional e-mail address. Referees may use either the Referee Statement Form (Appendix A) or provide the reference on their official letterhead."

I understand this to mean that my referees can opt out of the appendix A form as long as they send their LOR on a letterhead? Are any past applicants or current students able to confirm this for me? My referees are very busy and I don't want to bug them with unnecessary forms if I don't have to..

Last question: Does anyone know if there is anything they need to include in the email, other than the attached letter of recommendation, to connect their letters with my application? It seems sketchy to just send an email with my LOR and I want to ensure it is connected properly to my application.

For the record I have already emailed Dal to ask these questions but I thought I would reach out to this community to see if anyone else already knows the answer. 

Thanks in advance!

Just make sure they put your full name in the subject bar. That's generally what all schools require. Of course they'll say something like "I've attached my LOR for the student X. Please see attached." or whatever... not just empty email lol. But, if they do send an empty email... for some reason... as long as your name is in the subject bar it should be fine.. lol

12 hours ago, emlaw said:

Hey all!  

I noticed on Dal's website for their LOR protocol it says: "Referees must send the references directly to the Admissions Office by mail, fax or from a professional e-mail address. Referees may use either the Referee Statement Form (Appendix A) or provide the reference on their official letterhead."

I understand this to mean that my referees can opt out of the appendix A form as long as they send their LOR on a letterhead? Are any past applicants or current students able to confirm this for me? My referees are very busy and I don't want to bug them with unnecessary forms if I don't have to..

Last question: Does anyone know if there is anything they need to include in the email, other than the attached letter of recommendation, to connect their letters with my application? It seems sketchy to just send an email with my LOR and I want to ensure it is connected properly to my application.

For the record I have already emailed Dal to ask these questions but I thought I would reach out to this community to see if anyone else already knows the answer. 

Thanks in advance!

I asked about foregoing the Appendix A form and got the following reply; I can’t comment on your last question though. 

Good afternoon,

That is correct.  If the referee prefers creating a letter with their letterhead and is sent to this email or by mail it is perfectly fine. 

Have a wonderful day!

Kind regards,

Amy Dawson
Administrative Assistant, Admissions and Career Development 

On 11/23/2020 at 9:07 AM, pinkie2345678 said:

I'm interested in knowing this as well

Just so you know I got an email back and she said that the information is correct! It's optional!

• Like 1